Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP
Loved his positivity, classy guy indeed.

Bummer! Sudbury, Northern Ontario boy. What a lousy year. :(

Pancreatic cancer... Bad stuff... In the past few years I've had a few friends/relatives come down with the disease... One took chemo and lasted ~9 mos... One refused all treatments and lasted ~9 mos... One had surgery and is still living (and working) 5+ years later.

RIP Alex

Last edited:
So sad! I hadn’t watched Jeopardy in years. I’m so glad I tuned in to watch that crazy genius gambler guy win a show. Was visiting my cousins otherwise would have not known anything about it.

DM passed from pancreatic cancer 25 years ago. She was only 63. It’s a tough break!

Nice guy. DB watches Jeopardy every night.
Yep, pancreatic cancer near the top of the list of worst cancer survival rates.

That stinks. By all accounts a really great person. One of those people who will be fondly remembered by 10s of millions of viewers. A big contribution in his own way.

I wonder what their plan is for replacing him on the show. He's an icon.

Sad....he will be missed!

I don't want to segue an RIP thread, but I don't think I would have fought as hard he did - would you?

Sad....he will be missed!

I don't want to segue an RIP thread, but I don't think I would have fought as hard he did - would you?

After my late wife's experience with it:(, probably not.

Isn't that the same cancer that took Steve Jobs?

I always enjoyed Alex; he will definitely be missed.

It will be interesting to see if they continue the show with a new host. One of the highlights of my weekday mornings for a long time has been to try my luck with the "extra" Jeopardy questions they make available (J6).

It will be interesting to see if they continue the show with a new host.

I thought I saw that they were training Ken Jennings to be the new host.

My buddy died of pancreatic cancer in July. 3 months from diagnosis. He got sepsis, a serious side effect of cancer treatment. In fact, a majority of those who are treated by chemo for pancreatic cancer die of sepsis rather than the cancer itself.

RIP Alex. DW and I have enjoyed your show every night for many years. You were a marvelous human being.

In fact, a majority of those who are treated by chemo for pancreatic cancer die of sepsis rather than the cancer itself.

Apparently chemo kills the white blood cells that fight infection......then sepsis comes on fast, real fast.

Sad. We'd only started watching Jeopardy with any regularity in the past year. I imagine Ken Jennings will take his place.

Alex Trebek was so full of energy and life on Jeopardy. To me he seemed almost immortal. It's sad to read that he is gone.

Isn't that the same cancer that took Steve Jobs?
Yes, it was a type of pancreatic cancer but "they say" he had a less aggressive form of it and may have lived a lot longer if he would have had surgery sooner when it was first detected. (as his doctors recommended) Of course who really knows....

Last edited:
He battled hard but pancreatic cancer is almost impossible to overcome. Although I didn't watch the show regularly, it was the only game show I occasionally watched. He will be missed....

A truly great Canadian (Dual since 98) and he would put some Canadian content on his shows. Plus we all suffered from his battle.

Two of my friends have died from Pancreatic cancer. It is quick.

Sudbury Ontario. Where was Alex Trebek born?

Anyone here ever been on Jeopardy?

I did the in-person tryouts twice but never got the invitation to go out to California for the show.

I'm on chemo and immuno therapies for non-hodkins lymphoma. I was given a credit card sized notice to give to any emergency room;

My WBC is around 500 during chemo, has to build up to at least 900 before they'll give me another treatment. Usually 28 days from the last treatment, but not always. I'm normally around 1800 for WBC. Not good. With CV19 out there, if I got that, I'm a goner.

April last year, with a bladder infection, I went to our local hosp by ambulance, was briefly looked at and sent home; next day DW called the Provincial Health Line to ask for advice since things were deteriorating and they called the ambulance.

Even so, DW said I/we sat in Emerg for six hours after seeing the triage nurse, I developed the shakes and my BP plummeted.......luckily a male nurse passing by recognized the symptoms and got me 'immediate attention'.

One of the on-call doctors, affiliated with our GP and who knew me, asked about DNR. I was in hospital for a week and came close to dying. Worst time of my life, and almost the end of it.

I can certainly appreciate how catastrophic it would be for those on chemo.

R.I.P. Geoffrey Palmer

Geoffrey Palmer, the British character actor who often played alongside Judi Dench has died at 93.

Mr. Palmer is perhaps best known for his parts in several James Bond films, especially "Tomorrow Never Dies", along with Judi Dench, of course. He also stared in the TV series "As Time Goes By' which still is one of my favorites. I still enjoy the series, especially watching Lionel Hardcastle (Palmer) as he struggles to adapt to living in a house with three women. Hardcastle simply wants to live a quiet, new life with his formerly long lost love, but the three women are obsessed with meddling in everybody else's business, and dragging Lionel into the middle of it.

This news makes me sad.

I don't know why.
I become an avid viewer of As Time Goes By starting in 2000, because it was shown on the local PBS station.
It continues to be re-aired on the local PBS station.
And I was excited to see the reunion specials when they first aired.
I can't believe it has been 15 years since the very last special.

RIP Mr. Palmer. :(

Geoffrey Palmer, the British character actor who often played alongside Judi Dench has died at 93.

Mr. Palmer is perhaps best known for his parts in several James Bond films, especially "Tomorrow Never Dies", along with Judi Dench, of course. He also stared in the TV series "As Time Goes By' which still is one of my favorites. I still enjoy the series, especially watching Lionel Hardcastle (Palmer) as he struggles to adapt to living in a house with three women. Hardcastle simply wants to live a quiet, new life with his formerly long lost love, but the three women are obsessed with meddling in everybody else's business, and dragging Lionel into the middle of it.

Lots of quiet, gentle humor in that series. I enjoy it whenever I watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom