Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my memory was good enough to remember Wilbur starting both games, but not good enough to remember the poor performance! Thanks to both of you for looking it up! Back in those days, I was more a Sox fan than a Cub fan. Liked Bill Melton, Dick Allen, Harry Carey, etc. I believe Dick Allen just recently passed at 81. Loved watching his line drive homers! Always loved old Comiskey Park knowing that all the greats had trod that soil. Babe Ruth, etc.

Woody had a great knuckleball teacher in Hoyt Wilhelm, who like Niekro also pitched into his late 40s (actually, he was days away from turning 50 when he pitched his last Major League game).

I bet that was a good memory for you! I wonder if the ball was still in flight after the game was over and you were heading for the car, ha.

It was a good memory..but mostly for how it unfolded before the game.

After the game 6 Heroics, my friends and I headed into Boston without tickets.
As we headed down Landsdowne street, it was a chaotic scene. People with ladders, ropes etc. and police all over.

We shimmied up a drain pipe near center field. and came down onto a flat roof, and then scaled a short wall in right field and ended up in the Bleachers!

We stayed there for most of the game, and an attendant we knew let us through the gate leading to the good seats, where we ended up behind home plate.

He indeed started both games of a doubleheader, back on July 20th, 1973, at Yankee Stadium. He got knocked out in the first inning of the first game, came back to start the second game and got knocked out in the 5th inning of a rain-shortened game. Lost both games.

Seems that there a number of pitchers who starting both ends of a double-header, including Don Newcombe and Babe Ruth. There are 25 instances of a pitcher throwing 2 complete games in a double hitter, none-later than 1924.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Bench told a story about Phil Niekro. The GM of the Reds told Johnny that they had a chance to trade for Niekro. According to Johnny he said, "Great. Just find another guy to catch him." Trade never happened.

i don't know if it was about Niekro specifically, or knuckleballers in general, but when asked about how to catch a knuckleball, Bob Eucker replied, "wait until it stops rolling, then pick it up."

It was a good memory..but mostly for how it unfolded before the game.

After the game 6 Heroics, my friends and I headed into Boston without tickets.
As we headed down Landsdowne street, it was a chaotic scene. People with ladders, ropes etc. and police all over.

We shimmied up a drain pipe near center field. and came down onto a flat roof, and then scaled a short wall in right field and ended up in the Bleachers!

We stayed there for most of the game, and an attendant we knew let us through the gate leading to the good seats, where we ended up behind home plate.

Livefree my respect level can go up even another notch if you can post a pic of you in center field burning records in Bill Veeck disco night riot! :)

RIP - Dawn Wells

Sad news

Dawn Wells (Mary Ann from Gilligan) dead at 82. From covid complications :(.

Dawn Wells, the actress best known for her role as Mary Ann in the '60s sitcom "Gilligan's Island," died Wednesday from COVID-19 complications, her representative told USA TODAY. She was 82.
Wells died Wednesday morning at 7:30 in Los Angeles from "causes related to COVID," representative Harlan Boll told USA TODAY in an email. He said she "passed peacefully... in no pain."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...covid-19-gilligans-island-star-82/4090958001/

I just recently realized Gilligan wasn't a moron ruining their plans every week, but a genius who sabatoged the rescue plans so he could stay on the island with Maryann. FB_IMG_1607873118541.jpeg

Even little children loved Mary Ann.
When I was going to grad school down in Columbia, Mo., Dawn Wells was the most mentioned alumna at nearby Stephens College. Anytime someone mentioned the college's name, the words "Dawn Wells" were soon to follow.

It is nice to see that some of youse guys would choose Mary Ann over Ginger. Growing up, we girls never thought that was possible.

Actually even though I was the right age for this sitcom and watched it with my siblings all the time, I always thought it was corny. Gilligan drove me nuts.

RIP Mary Ann.

Mine too. Sad.

ETA: I know Wikipedia is not a 100% accurate source. But per Wiki, she had a long career post-Gilligan's, but had serious financial hard times in 2018.

I think in 2018 when this occurred some of her fans did a go fund me or something and raised all kinds of money for her.

Rest in Peace Dawn Wells, thank you for being part of one of the best television shows ever made.

Dammit 2020, please stop.

Actually even though I was the right age for this sitcom and watched it with my siblings all the time, I always thought it was corny. Gilligan drove me nuts.

More dumb than corny, IMO. I preferred the rustic surrealism of Green Acres.

It is nice to see that some of youse guys would choose Mary Ann over Ginger. Growing up, we girls never thought that was possible. ...

Actually, most of the guys I have ever known would pick Mary Ann over Ginger. Myself included.

RIP Dawn

Sad news

Dawn Wells (Mary Ann from Gilligan) dead at 82. From covid complications :(.

...[/URL]

That tears it. 350,000, one in a thousand out of the US population dead from Covid, but dammit - Mary Ann?! This virus needs to be stopped!

Actually, most of the guys I have ever known would pick Mary Ann over Ginger. Myself included.

RIP Dawn

Count me as another Dawn Wells fan. Tina Louise? Meh.

I was a MaryAnn guy myself. Ginger never did anything for me. Gilligan was a lucky guy, but too dumb to take advantage.

After losing a ton of my baseball heroes this year, this is really tough news.

Hopefully, nothing happens to Marcia Brady. I don't think I could take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom