Conspicuous consumption vs staying under the radar

I always wanted a Lamborghini. But my wife is against conspicuous consumption, and definitely likes us to fly under the radar. The nicest car in the neighborhood is a BMW i8, so I may have to settle for a Corvette.

When I w*rked at MegaMotors I got a new car every year. I let my then wife drive it as she really piled on the miles, which were "free". She insisted on leasing the same color and model every year so it was not obvious she was always getting a new car.

That said, screw it, buy whatever you want. :LOL:

My interest would be a real 4 door sleeper. Not flashy or sporty but have high performance. . The 2017 Jaguar XJR was interesting.

I just ordered a BMW 540i xDrive, but BMWs aren’t uncommon anymore and neither are other luxury cars. We do have a Subaru Outback if for some reason we don’t want to feel like we’re showing off. But I’m not worried.

we mostly fly under the radar. we live in a 3BR split level in a middle class neighborhood and drive 10 and 17-yr old cars. the new (in 2016) 40' class a motor home that occasionally graces our driveway as we prepare for a trip is a bit conspicuous as were our home remodeling projects over the past 15-years. most neighbors are not aware that i earned my Sport Pilot certificate back in 2013. a bit, not overly, conspicuous.

Our son has a Model 3. Unless you knew it was a Tesla and expensive vs say, an equivalent sized Honda or Toyota, you would't give it a second thought in the "conspicuous" department. YMMV

We have done a lot of remodeling to the house, and although most of it is inside, you can't hide the contractor's trucks when the work is going on.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I really don't see many Teslas around here, but then like some have pointed out, the Model 3/Y isn't really a flashy car so maybe they're more common than I think I do remember seeing a Model X at a charging station, and those flip-up doors had a real 'wow' factor. Thanks for pointing out that many pickup trucks cost more - that helps put things into perspective for me. I guess part of my problem is that all of the cars I've ever owned had a base price somewhere around $20k, so maybe my problem falls more in the "blow that dough" category. I'm definitely thinking about the Tesla, and will do some more research on it. Thanks, everyone!

After reading a few other threads here, and doing some other research, I find myself really lusting after a Telsa Model 3(?). I can easily afford one, but a big obstacle is that I've always lived sort of under the radar, keeping my financial situation private. The thought of neighbors, friends and acquaintances seeing me driving a Tesla and thinking "rich bugger!" is a real turn off. Honestly, I've never felt that I was denying myself anything, I actually like living simply. But this car really appeals to me.

Just wondering if others here ever hold back on purchases because they don't want to look like they're showing off?

Home is quite modest worth is about $135K our 09 sonata and 2010 Forester is not likely to cause jealousy among our neighbors, but if I wanted to buy a Tesla or a Rolls Royce and could afford it, I would do so without hesitation or apology. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter what others think.

While we were still w*rking we skipped the luxury cars. Although we both had high end vehicles we kept them for years. Lived nicely beneath our means and went for the FIRE.

No need to worry about the Tesla 3. It is only middle of the road expensive. Cars don't say much about your wealth. Lots of people choose to go for an ostentatious ride whether they can afford it or not. I say go for it. Private jets - now that is conspicuous.

Back
Top Bottom