contact lens solution recall

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
http://tinyurl.com/2bnooe
(nytimes.com)

A contact lens solution manufacturer voluntarily withdrew one of its products yesterday after federal health officials said an investigation had linked it to a rare but potentially blinding eye infection.
Customers were advised to immediately stop using the solution, AMO Complete Moisture Plus Multi-Purpose Solution. The solution, used to clean and store soft contact lenses, is made by Advanced Medical Optics of Santa Ana, Calif.

Makes me shiver.

Although contacts appeal to many, glasses suit my risk profile. I just can't stand the thought of something in/on my eye.

Makes me shiver.

Although contacts appeal to many, glasses suit my risk profile. I just can't stand the thought of something in/on my eye.

I absolutely adore contacts because I can SEE so well with them. For some reason they make a huge difference to me. I can't seem to adjust to anything but soft contacts for any length of time, but I do wonderfully with soft contacts from my point of view. I can wear them from the time I wake up, to the time I go to bed, with no problems that I can detect. I would pay almost anything for that privilege because being able to see so well enhances my life more than one can imagine.

However, my optometrist said I suffered from "over-wearing syndrome" after wearing soft contacts for a year, so he won't prescribe them for me any more. (I thought I was doing marvelously.) So anyway, now I have to wear glasses and feel half blind, which I truly hate. :rant:I feel handicapped without my contacts. He would prescribe oxygen permeable but I struggled with them for months before he gave up and prescribed the soft contacts to begin with. I just can't seem to wear oxygen permeable.

Getting back to the topic - - every now and then there is a warning about some sort of contact lens solution. If I was wearing contacts I would definitely heed such a warning and throw out any suspect solution. But to me it is worth the risk. I always bought the highest quality solution that my optometrist recommended to me and followed all of his directives.

Gosh, I miss my contacts and I miss SEEING that well, so much.

I had lenses permanently implanted a year ago so I now have 20-20 vision after years of glasses or contacts . It is wonderful to see without glasses or contacts .

I had lenses permanently implanted a year ago so I now have 20-20 vision after years of glasses or contacts . It is wonderful to see without glasses or contacts .

I am truly happy for you! That must be wonderful. :)

As for me, logical or not, anybody coming anywhere near my eyes with a scalpel or other sharp implement would have a battle on his hands. Maybe someday.

One of these days I may get up the guts to do Lasik, but only if I have enough money to get it done at the eye institute at the local teaching hospital (they were one of the first in the country to do the procedure)--There are certain things that I do NOT bargain shop for.

One of these days I may get up the guts to do Lasik, but only if I have enough money to get it done at the eye institute at the local teaching hospital (they were one of the first in the country to do the procedure)--There are certain things that I do NOT bargain shop for.

I'm pretty gutsy but when they put the microscope over me I got a little spooked.

I had the eye physical for Lasik, but my corneas are "too thin" so I couldn't have it. I am very near sighted and the one misgiving I had when considering Lasik was that I wouldn't have good vision up close. Without glasses or contacts I can see to thread a needle, pick out a splinter, read tiny print, etc about 3 inches from the end of my nose.

I also got very nearsighted as I aged .I had to take off my glasses to read and start IV's (I'm an RN).All this off and on with the glasses drove me crazy so I went for lasik. I also was turned down because of cataracts so I opted for Cataract surgery(yes even younger people can get cataracts ) with monovision lens implants ( one eye for close and one eye for distance ).I've had great results .

My optometrist has suggested Lasik surgery for me. Interesting that he would say that, considering that I have needed my prescription "tweaked" every two or three years. I wonder about his motivations. I am not convinced that surgery would correct my vision with any degree of permanence.

Of course this is still hypothetical, since I would never allow it.

Back
Top Bottom