Converting DC accumulation to DB pension

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well I'm about to take almost a quarter of my tax deferred DC savings and buy into the the MA state pension plan. The numbers look good, but I'll expect a number of comments about the underfunding of state pensions.

I'm 53.5 and will be rolling $263k into the state DB plan which will give me an single life annual income of $19800 starting at 55, or I can take $19600 and have a beneficiary inherit the balance and interest of the pension if I die early. There's a COLA (currently capped at 3%) on $13500 of the pension. The initial payout rate is 7% and interest rate assuming I make it to age 84 is 7.5%.

I was a bit reluctant to "spend" so much on a DB plan just in case I died early as could not leave as much to my grand-niece, but the lump sum benefit is a nice option. If I die early she gets a big payout and if I live a long time the pension will have been a great investment/insurance policy. I intend to change my AA from 60/40 to something closer to 80/20 once the pension is bought.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I am assuming you are using a 1035 exchange, so no tax consequences? How many years are you buying?

I am assuming you are using a 1035 exchange, so no tax consequences? How many years are you buying?

It's all taken care of by the state. They had to get a special ruling form the IRS and the state legislature had to pass a special law. The money is going from a tax deferred state DC plan to a tax deferred state DB plan so there are no tax state or federal consequences.

I'm buying 10 years

Back
Top Bottom