Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with pets are surely snuggling and playing with them. It occurred to me today on our hour long walk (which is an amazing prairie/wooded park with many trails) right next to a high end nursing home. The residents there are always on the trails enjoying wildlife and in the past, stopped to pet my Labrador, who's cute and cuddly.

I am now, not rudely, keeping him away from anyone to pet him. Sorry, Champaign-Urbana is not testing like they should with shortage of testing kits. I'm not taking any chances. I will say getting out in nature is a good way to get outside and stay away from crowds. But don't pet my dog:)

So from you said yesterday about feeling ill, you should be doing this to protect others.:cool: The upside would be that it protects you as well. Are you wearing a mask when walking or keeping a good distance away from other people? I imagine if you have a mask on people wouldn't be coming near you or your dog.

So I don't understand why people at elderly home would be infecting each other unless they're near each other for extended periods for meals or maybe some events.

Either that or maybe some infected workers went from each elderly resident to another, like maybe helping them bathe? Or serve them food?

I've had some experience with 4 different nursing homes. My grandmothers were residents of different nursing homes. A great-aunt was a resident of a different one. DS is a dietary aide in yet a different nursing home.

Many residents don't have private rooms. There can be 2 residents per room, with not even 6 feet of space between the beds, both sharing a bathroom. Even worse, are 2 such rooms with a communal bathroom between them, where 4 residents have to share the same bathroom. (Just remember to lock/unlock the door to the resident room on the other side before/after you go.) The doorknob to the bathroom was visibly dirty every time I visited, which was every day for awhile at one nursing home. (I don't want to get any more graphic about it than that.)

After one grandmother became a resident at a nursing home, literally within days, a norovirus made itself known to me. During one visit, I heard someone down the hall getting sick. Later, I learned it had been a nurse's aide. A couple of days later, my grandmother got similarly sick. Oh, and the staff explained it away as the food must not have agreed with my grandmother. Right...A couple of days later, I got sick at home. That's how fast a highly contagious illness can spread in a confined environment like a nursing home.

How do diseases/illnesses get in? Simple. The staff has to go to work there every day to care for the residents. Anything they're exposed to in the course of their daily lives, the residents will be exposed to. The general public is allowed to come in during visiting hours, 7 days a week. People commonly bring kids to visit on the weekends. Unless the resident has a private room, they're also being exposed to the visitors their roommate gets. Although residents and their visitors are free to leave the rooms and have a more private visit in a common area, the entire visit may take place in the resident's room.

For non-bedridden residents, taking meals in the large dining rooms is encouraged, as well as attending the various activities that are held daily, weekly, and monthly. Relatives of residents are also encouraged to come and attend these events and even to have lunch or dinner with their loved ones in the large dining rooms during just a regular meal time. Visiting residents is so highly encouraged under normal circumstances, they'll even feed the visitors for free.

Residents may have to go to the hospital. If/when they return to the nursing home, they could bring back whatever they were exposed to in the hospital. This isn't uncommon. My one grandmother had to be sent to the hospital 3 times from the nursing home in just a little over a year.

At the facility where DS works, they hold regular community events, each and every month. There are 7 events open to the public that are being held from March 10th through March 30th alone. Sometimes they hold extra large events for large groups like veterans. They hold special events for the residents and their families, like holiday dinners. They hold special shopping events for the nursing staff in the lobby, where a supply company will set up uniforms and shoes and the staff can browse and buy (supposedly at a discount, but you couldn't prove that by me).

The assisted living/independent living facility down the street from us is our assigned voting center. Every election day there are hundreds of people going in to vote, walking down a long hallway past resident rooms to get to the voting machines. During presidential elections, a long line stretches down the hallway. Close to Christmas, that facility has school students come in to sing Christmas carols for the residents. I know, because DD was part of a high school choir group that did this one year.

And that's just what I know about, personally. Think of it. Someone has to deliver the food to the kitchens and other supplies. There are more ways that germs can get into these places than you can imagine.

Right. If they don't over-react now, then when/if we do get in a full outbreak where 20% (say 60 million) americans get infected and 5% of those require hospitalization (3 million).

There are currently maybe a million hospital beds in the USA, but a lot of those are occupied by (insert various non corona disease here). What do you do with the 3 million people who need emergency medical care?

Starting to see the reason for a little pre panic?

Yes. ER wait times can be ridiculously long - hours - under the best of normal circumstances. Many people have probably never been in an ER, either for themselves or a loved one. You can't always get a bed right away when they're all full up.

I've had some experience with 4 different nursing homes. My grandmothers were residents of different nursing homes. A great-aunt was a resident of a different one. DS is a dietary aide in yet a different nursing home.
And that's just what I know about, personally. Think of it. Someone has to deliver the food to the kitchens and other supplies. There are more ways that germs can get into these places than you can imagine.
Yes, exactly right. In other words, life is PEOPLE, and these places try to not keep the residents in a prison of isolation.

Add to it that they are infirm, and require high touch for those issues, and it is going to get ugly.

Since COVID is so deadly in this group, it sounds like extraordinary procedures may be in line. Sacrifices are ahead.

Right. If they don't over-react now, then when/if we do get in a full outbreak where 20% (say 60 million) americans get infected and 5% of those require hospitalization (3 million).

There are currently maybe a million hospital beds in the USA, but a lot of those are occupied by (insert various non corona disease here). What do you do with the 3 million people who need emergency medical care?

Starting to see the reason for a little pre panic?

In Wuhan they turned away a lot of sick people because they simply didn't have the capacity either to examine them or hospitalize them.

I inherited a townhouse in a San Jose retirement community (age 55 and up) a number of years ago that is now rented. The community is made up of condos, townhouses, and a few single family homes. There is a golf course, a clubhouse with a restaurant, and a couple of pools. It's gated with uniformed security.

My tenant just e-mailed me that 17 residents of the retirement community are on the cruise ship that is going to dock in Oakland. Many of the residents of this community are over 70. Uh-oh...

I inherited a townhouse in a San Jose retirement community (age 55 and up) a number of years ago that is now rented. The community is made up of condos, townhouses, and a few single family homes. There is a golf course, a clubhouse with a restaurant, and a couple of pools. It's gated with uniformed security.

My tenant just e-mailed me that 17 residents of the retirement community are on the cruise ship that is going to dock in Oakland. Many of the residents of this community are over 70. Uh-oh...

The cruise ship folks are to be quarantined on a base for 14 days. So your tenant won't see them for a couple of weeks.

So from you said yesterday about feeling ill, you should be doing this to protect others.:cool: The upside would be that it protects you as well. Are you wearing a mask when walking or keeping a good distance away from other people? I imagine if you have a mask on people wouldn't be coming near you or your dog.
Oh, I'm not sick at all. I was just presenting a scenario if that were to happen. Trying to peer into the future if I do start feeling sick.

Oh, I'm not sick at all. I was just presenting a scenario if that were to happen. Trying to peer into the future if I do start feeling sick.

I still like the idea of a mask when walking your dog...keep you from throwing down to protect your dog.

We had our highest attendance at church this morning since Christmas Eve. We were totally not expecting that. And I'm not sure how I feel about that. Very conflicted, for sure, especially since 90% of them are over 60. As nice as it is to not see a bunch of empty pews, I want them to stay healthy and alive.

Last edited:
We had our highest attendance at church this morning since Christmas Eve. We were totally not expecting that. And I'm not sure how I feel about that. Very conflicted, for sure, especially since 90% of them are over 60. As nice as it is to not see a bunch of empty pews, I want them to stay healthy and alive.

Ours was light. Instructions were given for sharing peace. Basically do what you want, but it was suggested hand gestures, words or maybe elbow bumps were in line.

How prepared is Kentucky for the coronavirus? One case was identified a couple of days ago. Three more cases identified today. Here's a statement from the hospital dealing with the first case.

The hospital that is treating Kentucky's first coronavirus patient is running "exceedingly low" on protective gear as the state works to stem the spread of the illness.
"As a result of both the flu and COVID-19, supplies of personal protective equipment are exceedingly low, and many items are on backorder," Dr. Mark F. Newman, executive vice president for Health Affairs at the University of Kentucky's Chandler Hospital, wrote in a memo to the staff Friday night. "Please be frugal in the use of" the equipment.

Makes you wonder what will happen if we get 400 cases instead of 4.

Something odd is going on with Italy, which makes their quarantine understandable. They have a very high death rate of 5% of confirmed cases.

I guess it's the older population ?

Last edited:
I looked up a post I made on 2/17/2020. That seems like a long time ago.

I did not include Italy median age (45.4). Many countries have an older population than that of China.

It is now widely recognized that the most virus deaths are older people. Someone on the Web points out that not too many children are not hospitalized either. In fact, even some younger adults are able to shake off the virus like a common cold or flu.

Given the above observations, one has to ask "What countries have more old people".

Here's the median age for some countries.

Vietnam 30.5
China 37.4
USA 38.1
South Korea 41.8
Germany 47.1
Japan 47.3
Monaco 53.1

Something odd is going on with Italy, which makes their quarantine understandable. They have a very high death rate of 5% of confirmed cases.

Maybe also smoking rate, and historic smoking rate (i.e. older population of former smokers).

There still is confusion about how rates are calculated. I mean, if I go to the NY Times Map of Every US Case we have at this time 536 cases and 22 deaths. A rate of 4.1%. But we know many of those deaths were from the nursing home. So, not sure what the age skew is in Italy.

Stocked up on more stuff today. Alternatively, much of the stuff can be used for hurricane preparedness, so nothing should go to waste.

When we were in northern Italy last November, the rate of smoking amongst all Italian adults reminded me of the USA 1970 - 1980 timeframe.

Stocked up on more stuff today. Alternatively, much of the stuff can be used for hurricane preparedness, so nothing should go to waste.

I'm done with stocking up (for now), but I went to two different supermarkets to buy regular stuff today (fresh veggies, meat, etc) and noticed that cleaning product shelves were more than half empty at both stores. They were both totally out of hand sanitizers. Tons of TP though.

Yikes. If you exclude the active cases, this is the ratio between those that died and those that recovered.

Attachments

• ItalyMar8.jpg
    ItalyMar8.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 41
Yikes. If you exclude the active cases, this is the ratio between those that died and those that recovered.
I watched carefully the ratio of recovered to deaths in China over the past month. It has gone up substantially over that time. Eventually, most people recover.

When we are done with this, we will see the world longevity revised downward.

And the IRS will revise the table for RMD calculations.

Macabre, I know, but that's a fact of life.

Italy has surpassed South Korea in the number of infections :eek:

I've been searching online for hand sanitizer now for the past week. There is literally none in stock anywhere in the country, other than a few bottles being listed for hundreds of dollars by price gougers.

I tried making my own yesterday. 2 parts alcohol 1 part aloe vera gel. Unfortunately what I ended up with is a liquid so thin that it really isn't any thicker than just the alcohol. So it's basically like pouring rubbing alcohol all over your hands. It's nothing like Purell or the other products.

Costco never has water, toilet paper or paper towels anymore. But Trader Joe's had plenty of water, and Amazon has plenty of paper goods.

So all in all, I haven't really had any problems stocking up on anything other than the sanitizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom