Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plan, already started, is to wear gloves whenever I leave home and to remove them before reentering the house. This will both help to protect me and, hopefully, serve as a reminder not to touch my face. I’ll carry spare gloves for changing if I leave a high risk area. I expect to use a lot of gloves and these are still available at our local Costco in boxes of 400. Hand washing is a great idea but my skin just won’t tolerate frequent washing, even with moisturizers.

I would like to see everybody wearing masks in public. Soon any of us could be infected and infecting others, even without symptoms. A mask may not protect me but it may help protect others from me. Unfortunately, there just aren’t currently enough masks available to make this practical.

I’ll try to shop at off hours and distance myself from others.

If appropriate fear helps to motivate others to take protective measures then I see that as helpful. China has limited the spread of the disease with strong measures. The number of cases elsewhere in the world appears to still be growing exponentially. So far as I can tell this disease is not just another “flu.”

Unfortunately masks may just give a false sense of security, or make others panic. They can help sick people prevent spread to others, but it doesn't prevent one from getting infection.

However, a mask really helps remind you not to touch your face.

Plenty of masks available on eBay--just depends on how much you are willing to pay.

Step ford, I don’t think I rely on any forum for reliable information. All the ones I belong to are just places for interesting discussions. YMMV

Unfortunately masks may just give a false sense of security, or make others panic. They can help sick people prevent spread to others, but it doesn't prevent one from getting infection.

For me, I think this may be the most valuable aspect of wearing a mask. I was out today (Costco run) and I was really trying hard not to touch my face. Once becoming conscious of it, I'm surprised at how often I want to touch my face and that makes me think I do it very often subconsciously.

Masks are simply not available at the moment.

Being clueless, I thought I'd just go to the store and pick a few up. Of course there aren't any. I realized that before I went out. Thankfully, being an allergy sufferer, I have about 6 or so of the N95's left from the last season (lawn mowing). I doubt I'll use them but I'm glad I have a few available. I also have a large supply of the surgical masks. They don't work as well for lawn mowing but they'll be good if I need to go out if I get sick.

This might be duplicate information, but I received this email from Connecticare today.

What you need to know about the coronavirus
February 28, 2020
People wearing masks walking through an airport in Beijing. We gathered some facts and prevention tips about the coronavirus.
There’s a lot of media coverage of the coronavirus. Here’s a quick overview to help answer some of your questions and reliable links for the latest updates.

Watch this short video produced by our parent company, EmblemHealth, and affiliate company, AdvantageCare Physicians.

What is a coronavirus?

A coronavirus (COVID-19 for short) is a family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more serious respiratory illnesses. COVID-19 causes symptoms such as fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.

Who is most at risk?

For the general American public, the immediate health risk from the virus is considered low. Those who are most at risk are older adults, babies, and those with underlying health conditions or compromised immune systems. Health care workers caring for patients with the virus should also exercise extreme caution. At this time, we urge members to avoid travel into or out of China because the virus originated in Wuhan City, China.

Is there a vaccine for coronavirus?

There is no vaccine against coronavirus to date. Researchers around the world are working to learn more about this virus.

What can I do to protect myself and my family?

The best way to prevent any virus from spreading is to:

Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Using a hand sanitizer can help as well, but washing your hands is always preferable. Teach children early on how to properly wash their hands.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cough into the crook of your elbow, not your hands.
Clean and disinfect surfaces and touchpoints like doorknobs, handles, light switches, and your phone.
Continue to practice good hygiene to prevent coronavirus, and other severe illnesses like the flu, from spreading.

Should I change my travel plans?

As of Feb. 22, 2020, the CDC recommends that you avoid all non-essential travel to China. Check the CDC website for more information about traveling during the outbreak.

How can I get accurate information about this virus?

We recommend that you get your health information from trusted sources, such as:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
World Health Organization
Connecticut Department of Public Health
Your doctor or health provider

I think the Mods and Admins are doing a terrific job with this thread. We have one of the best, or perhaps THE best mod team anywhere.

Preparing, as Brewer and others have advocated, doesn't mean panic rules my life (or theirs). It means that I am taking what I think are sensible steps to protect myself just in case.

We all know that most analogies are terrible, but anyway, an analogy might be that I have a very conservative AA to protect my portfolio from scaring me silly during adverse market events. That doesn't mean I am terrified of a bear market or inflation or whatever. It just means I am trying to take the logical steps to continue with my serene retired life without losing sleep at night. The same goes for my coronavirus preparations; they'll help me to continue enjoying life without losing sleep worrying.

As for the coronavirus, well, I can't find any reasonably priced high quality masks either and I refuse to pay what they are asking (which seems like price gouging to me). I'll leave those high priced masks for those people who are immune compromised (with my sympathies, too).

I don't go out a whole lot except for lunch and the gym. I guess if I start hearing people coughing or sneezing at either place, I'll stop going there for the time being (and go home, wash my hands, and stay home). I will be doing a lot of hand washing with soap. I have absolutely no problem with the idea of staying at home if/when coronavirus reaches my area. That's "Plan B".

F and I are not young kids, but there are a lot of older people whose overall health is worse off than ours. As I grow older, I think my immunity is improving; at least, I hardly ever even catch a cold any more. I will be cautious, and do all the sensible things within reason.

That said, this coronavirus thing doesn't scare me one bit. I've been through a lot worse. One of these days, I'll get a custom t-shirt made saying, "I survived the 2008-2009 Great Recession!". :LOL: And then there was Katrina. But here I am, enjoying my retirement. This is truly the best time in my life.

Kaiser Permanente drew the short straw in Oregon. They have the first patient with a community-acquired Coriv19 infection. I just received an email from them about what to do if you think you might be sick, and I am not a Kaiser member (although my husband is).

Unfortunately masks may just give a false sense of security, or make others panic. They can help sick people prevent spread to others, but it doesn't prevent one from getting infection...

When you don't know who carries the virus and who does not, making them all wear masks in public is a good containment measure.

A lot more Chinese would come down with this COVID-19 if their government did not mandate this, along with the lockdown and quarantine.

Kaiser Permanente drew the short straw in Oregon. They have the first patient with a community-acquired Coriv19 infection. I just received an email from them about what to do if you think you might be sick, and I am not a Kaiser member (although my husband is).

Very interesting. I haven't received that e-mail yet and am a Kaiser member. I found the story on a search which says the person is at the Westside Medical Center and that the Lake Oswego School will be closed till Wed. for a deep cleaning. It is not even mentioned on the K patient portal, just a generic statement about the virus.

I'm a member of Kaiser So Cal, and I also got that email (well, I assume it's the same one.) It says if you're coughing, it's most likely a cold or the flu, and it also links to this page: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/alerts/p1/2019-novel-coronavirus-feb-2020

I found this part interesting:
If you or a family member have traveled recently to an area of risk, or if you think you may have been exposed to the virus and have symptoms of respiratory illness, you should call the advice number on your Kaiser Permanente membership card for further instructions.

It’s important to call us before you come in. Calling ahead helps us direct you to the most appropriate care, and take precautions to protect other members, patients, and employees.

The smell of onion on your hands may cause raised eyebrows from people around you.

How about rubbing some crushed habanero on your fingertips? You would stop picking your nose in no time.

In case habanero is not hot enough, there's the Carolina Reaper that's 7 to 20 times hotter than habanero. It may even kill the virus. :cool:

Just joking. I do not have the habit of nail biting, but like to eat hot and spicy food. :)

DH has a compromised immune system (takes Humira for psoriatic arthritis). One thing his doctor suggested (in addition to avoiding crowds, hand washing, etc) is to use a Nettie Pot every time we come in from out of doors. We actually use the NellMed squeeze bottle to rinse out the sinuses and eye drops to rinse out the eyes when we have been out. These things do seem to have helped to avoid colds and sinus infections. We have gotten so use to using the NellMed that we miss it when we forget to use it, it really cleans out the sinuses. Not sure what it will do for the new virus but maybe it will help.

One thing the DW & I do is take an Elderberry pill twice a day during the cold & Flu season. A good friend of ours suffers from Lupis and takes them to boost her immune system. We have done this for a few years now & haven’t gotten sick since.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not at the stage of wearing a mask, but one advantage would be other people might think you have "it" and keep just a little farther away. Which is what I'd like right now. :)

One thing the DW & I do is take an Elderberry pill twice a day during the cold & Flu season. A good friend of ours suffers from Lupis and takes them to boost her immune system. We have done this for a few years now & haven’t gotten sick since.

DH and I also take the elderberry pills-- our doctor recommended them to boost the immune system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use dust masks a lot when I'm sanding down woodworking projects. I have 4 in stock now, but tried to buy some at the local home improvement store yesterday. Sold out, but there are still a lot of the bigger, expensive, heavy duty faceplate masks that use organic vapor cartridges on the shelves. Not sure if these don't work as well as the simple dust mask, or if people aren't up to spending $20- $30 to wear something more confining.

MOD NOTE -- What is the possible use of this post? How will it help me or anyone else? Or is it just fear mongering? The warning with which I started this thread was a serious one. Heed it.

The category "mild" includes PNEUMONIA -- which is a very serious threat to a lot of people. I quoted enough material so people can investigate for themselves.

The category "mild" includes PNEUMONIA -- which is a very serious threat to a lot of people. I quoted enough material so people can investigate for themselves.

You’ve made your point. The thread topic is “preparedness”, not beware.

Perhaps the Kaiser members receiving the email are elderly. I am in my 70s, DH in his 80s.

We’re here for you.

Kaiser Permanente
Concerned about your cold and flu symptoms? Speak to an advice nurse 24/7 at Kaiser Permanente.

You may be feeling concerned about the coronavirus, also referred to as COVID-19, which has been in the news. If so, you’re not alone.

Here’s what you can do to protect yourself and your loved ones:
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Wash your hands with soap and water regularly for at least 20 seconds. Alcohol hand sanitizers are also effective.

Try not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Stay home when you are sick (except to get medical care). Keep sick children home from school.

Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow. If you use a tissue, wash your hands afterwards.

Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

Are you sick or worried you’ve come in contact with someone who is?
Chances are you have the flu or a common cold. Staying home to take care of yourself is one of the best ways to avoid spreading these illnesses. No matter what, we’re here for you.

Need medical advice?
Please call the advice number on your Kaiser Permanente membership card to speak with an advice nurse or to schedule a telephone or video appointment with your doctor. You can also email your doctor for non-urgent concerns. If you can’t find your card, visit kp.org/getcare and click on “24/7 advice.”

For more information about the coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

there are still a lot of the bigger, expensive, heavy duty faceplate masks that use organic vapor cartridges on the shelves. Not sure if these don't work as well as the simple dust mask, or if people aren't up to spending $20- $30 to wear something more confining.

They are much better. A full face mask has a protection factor of 50, a half mask 25, and the disposable 5.

OTOH any mask increases the energy used for breathing significantly, so various medical conditions might become more dangerous when wearing a mask.

"real" masks come in sizes, most people need a Medium. You must be clean shaven so the face seal is good. You must test the seal when donning the mask.

And so what if it does? Again, what does your post add to the discussion other than "be more afraid"? Nobody here has disputed that this is a serious issue.

I have one of the 3M full face masks with cartridges. I know it would work against the virus because you can walk into a room of chemical smells that would put someone on the floor in a few seconds and with this mask on you can't smell a thing. It has several layers of filtration in the cartridges and obviously has no leakage (since you can't smell any chemicals with it on).

Would I wear it into a public place? Probably not. I think it would cause some serious panic and I might even get hurt.

Perhaps the Kaiser members receiving the email are elderly. I am in my 70s, DH in his 80s.

The message you quoted is the one I got, but we're in our 50s. I assume they're sending it out to all members who have registered online accounts at kp.org and didn't opt out of these kinds of newsletters.

Typically an email blast that's going out to hundreds of thousands or millions of email addresses has to be sent over a period of time to avoid overwhelming the receiving mail systems or getting blocked as spam. I expect it'll show up for everyone in the next day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom