Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for a 2 week supply of stuff, not that anyone here really believed it would be necessary for only that long, right?

CDC tells people over 60 or who have chronic illnesses like diabetes to stock up on goods and buckle down for a lengthy stay at home

Many Americans will be exposed to COVID-19 over the next year or so with many people in the U.S. getting sick, a top CDC official said Monday, recommending that people over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions buckle down for a lengthy stay home.

There's some good advice for all ages in the article, if only people will follow it, when possible. I did cancel my dental appointment today. Aside from that, I'll try to keep more groceries and other things on hand and do most of my shopping during less busy times.

So much for a 2 week supply of stuff, not that anyone here really believed it would be necessary for only that long, right?

CDC tells people over 60 or who have chronic illnesses like diabetes to stock up on goods and buckle down for a lengthy stay at home

There's some good advice for all ages in the article, if only people will follow it, when possible. I did cancel my dental appointment today. Aside from that, I'll try to keep more groceries and other things on hand and do most of my shopping during less busy times.
Great minds think alike. DW just rescheduled our upcoming dental cleaning. And I discovered Publix Grocery store opens at 7:00am. That is a great time to shop, no jousting with other shopping carts. This thing is going to grow fast, IMHO.

Recently joined the local Planet Fitness gym and the first thing that struck me is that everyone seems to be very good about wiping the equipment off after use, that wasn't always the case in previous gyms I've used. They do have signs up all around the gym telling you to wipe the equipment off after use, and they also have the paper towel dispensers and spray disinfectant bottles all around the gym. I'm sure some of it is peer pressure, you can't but help see everyone else doing it, you would stick out like a sore thumb if you didn't. This was before the coronavirus scare hit so pretty sure it's common practice rather than tied to the scare.
Quit planet fitness last month as I do not trust their disinfectant spray. It seems like water to me.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-worrying-increase-risk-sick/story?id=69478552

“When a risk is new, it has uncertainty. We don't know yet what we need to know to protect ourselves, and that uncertainty makes us feel powerless, like we don't have control over it,” Ropeik said. From canceled flights and events, sold out cleaning supplies, to drastically fluctuating stock markets, it’s safe to say people are nervous. “So what we do is anything that gives us a sense of control, like we buy all the bottled water and toilet paper at Costco … but in part it's because we're freaking out rather than it's actually just good practice,”

I just turned 60 a few weeks ago.:angel:
Will still play Pickleball 6 days a week for now.....

Great minds think alike. DW just rescheduled our upcoming dental cleaning.

I've got to travel to have Mohs surgery for my basal cell cancer. I'd like to cancel it, but I also would like to get it cut out.

Maybe I'll call and see if others have cancelled and I can get in earlier.

Unrelated to that, I was going to schedule a hearing test, but that can wait.

Article in today's WSJ pointed out that the actual number of infected here in the U.S. is at least one and likely two orders of magnitude higher than the currently reported number.

Exactly. The Atlantic had a similar article a week or so ago. The numbers are largely based on testing those who have recently returned from international travel. If you assume, however, that the virus has been circulating in the USA even before most of this testing started (which I think is a correct assumption), then the number of infected people here in the USA that you read/see daily in the media are a joke, and WAY too low. The real numbers are almost certainly far higher than what is being reported. Eventually, I think it will come out that the virus was here and spreading before any of this testing really got underway.

Quit planet fitness last month as I do not trust their disinfectant spray. It seems like water to me.

Not really sure what they use in the spray bottles at the PF I go to but it's definitely more than just water.

I've got to travel to have Mohs surgery for my basal cell cancer. I'd like to cancel it, but I also would like to get it cut out.

Maybe I'll call and see if others have cancelled and I can get in earlier.

Unrelated to that, I was going to schedule a hearing test, but that can wait.
Gosh, if it were me I wouldn't cancel it unless you felt your chances of exposure are high. You are going to a medical facility. You haven't traveled recently. They should have some procedures in place to manage exposure. You can always call them and talk to them about any concerns.

Hello again from Seattle. Today I learned that the first person I know IRL has been diagnosed. I mostly know them in a online forum, where they reported that several people at a party a few weeks ago have all tested positive. They were taking part in the Seattle Flu Study, which is how they’ve been able to get tested; otherwise their symptoms were not severe enough that they would have gotten the test. The person has been staying home for over a week with what they describe as “a cold on steroids.”

The biggest takeaway I get from this news is that it’s not that hard to transmit the virus. The Seinfeld “double-dipping” episode comes to mind.

Hello again from Seattle. Today I learned that the first person I know IRL has been diagnosed. I mostly know them in a online forum, where they reported that several people at a party a few weeks ago have all tested positive. They were taking part in the Seattle Flu Study, which is how they’ve been able to get tested; otherwise their symptoms were not severe enough that they would have gotten the test. The person has been staying home for over a week with what they describe as “a cold on steroids.”

The biggest takeaway I get from this news is that it’s not that hard to transmit the virus. The Seinfeld “double-dipping” episode comes to mind.
OK - this is just wild on several levels. How ironic that they were part of the Seattle Flu Study - but lucky for them that they were able to be tested sooner than normal. Ha - Seattle Flu Study uncovers local transmission of COVID-19!

And the party was several weeks ago??!?

Yeah - I think parties are out. Social occasions are obviously an easy way to transfer the virus. People spend a good amount of time close to each other, talking face-to-face, handshakes, embraces, etc.

Not really sure what they use in the spray bottles at the PF I go to but it's definitely more than just water.
Sorry, what I meant is it smells like water and has the consistency of water. No alcohol smell or anything that I could detect. It doesn't mean it doesn't clean. I just don't trust it, is all. I guess I could have brought my own disinfectant with me, but I just decided to quit and work out at home.

Last edited:
Gosh, if it were me I wouldn't cancel it unless you felt your chances of exposure are high. You are going to a medical facility. You haven't traveled recently. They should have some procedures in place to manage exposure. You can always call them and talk to them about any concerns.

No, I won't cancel. Note that introverts always want to cancel appointments.

We used the hand sanitizer that's been in the car for months, and it was the viscosity of water. Is that normal?

The car doesn't get that hot around here, but the stuff is old.

I just turned 60 a few weeks ago.:angel:
Will still play Pickleball 6 days a week for now.....

Never played it, but sounds fun. And exercise is good for you - helps strengthen the immune system.

Buying toilet paper is/was like buying the market during a bull run. You know it is getting toppy but everyone else keeps buying it so you feel like you need to also.

Sorry, what I meant is it smells like water and has the consistency of water. No alcohol smell or anything that I could detect. It doesn't mean it doesn't clean. I just don't trust it, is all. I guess I could have brought my own disinfectant with me, but I just decided to quit and work out at home.

What exactly does water smell like?

What exactly does water smell like?
What does water smell like to you?

Water smells like nothing to me. Zero smell. The solution in the spray bottle could have some hydrogen peroxide in it, but I wouldn't know. It's definitely not alcohol-based.

Last edited:
As I suspected would happen by today, Ohio now has it's first confirmed cases of the coronavirus. 3 people in their 50s. 2 are a married couple who just got back from a cruise on the Nile River, and 1 person who came back from the AIPAC conference in DC. State of emergency has been declared and they're considering moving polling places out of nursing homes. They're all in Cuyahoga County, which is our neighboring county. DH's parents live in Cuyahoga County and DS works at a nursing home in Cuyahoga County.

Yep, we are just south of Cuyahoga County, in Summit County. Just heard about this on the news tonight.

Imagine how many people are exposed at a conference like that.

We have elections next week and I wish I had done an absentee ballot. Our ballots are the paper ones where you use the supplied pen (chained to the polling booth and used by everyone before you) to fill in the circle for your choice. Maybe I will vote with a gloved hand.

Like many others I've recently become aware of how many community surfaces I touch and how many times I touch my face!

Yep, we are just south of Cuyahoga County, in Summit County. Just heard about this on the news tonight.

Imagine how many people are exposed at a conference like that.

We have elections next week and I wish I had done an absentee ballot. Our ballots are the paper ones where you use the supplied pen (chained to the polling booth and used by everyone before you) to fill in the circle for your choice. Maybe I will vote with a gloved hand.

Like many others I've recently become aware of how many community surfaces I touch and how many times I touch my face!
I'm pretty sure a lot of people will opt out and not vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom