Coronavirus - Travel impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lsbcal - I plan to take a set of disposable surgical gloves when I travel through the airports next week. I think that will help me not touch my face which is a very bad habit of mine. I’ll have to exchange them frequently and wipe off luggage handles, seat table, etc. I won’t wear them while on the plane.

I always keep the air blowing on me - that’s heavily filtered air from what I understand.

I’ll be washing my hand often anyway.

Gloves could work especially in cooler weather conditions.

Another thought is to use the travel bottles of Purell hand sanitizer. In the past I've taken one on the plane but forgotten to use it with all the things going on while getting on the plane, especially on international flights.

I don't know about the effectiveness on the coronavirus but this CDC source seems to say it can be pretty effective against "microbes":
https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Another link: https://www.livescience.com/5822-fighting-flu-hand-sanitizers-work.html

alcohol-based hand sanitizers are tremendously effective in preventing the spread of the seasonal flu, H1N1, colds and other viral- and bacterial-based diseases;

Gloves could work especially in cooler weather conditions.

Another thought is to use the travel bottles of Purell hand sanitizer. In the past I've taken one on the plane but forgotten to use it with all the things going on while getting on the plane, especially on international flights.

I don't know about the effectiveness on the coronavirus but this CDC source seems to say it can be pretty effective against "microbes":
https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Another link: https://www.livescience.com/5822-fighting-flu-hand-sanitizers-work.html
Well I want something disposable to wear on my hands that I can throw away when I exit a crowded area full of travelers like an airport. I don’t want to deal with dirty gloves.

I do carry hand sanitizer with me when traveling, and Purell wipes.

Travel Plan Changes Due to Coronavirus?

I haven't seen articles regarding this development in English yet (it'll probably be available in English soon...), but Asahi News online says that the second set of results came back and that they found another 10 passengers with the coronavirus on the cruise ship Diamond Princess, currenty under quarantine, in Japan. Out of the total 102 results that they have, a total of 20 came back positive for the coronavirus. I assume they are only testing passengers/crew members with flu-like symptoms, but this particular article doesn't say how many people have been tested so far.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASN2630X1N26ULBJ001.html?iref=comtop_8_01

Last edited:
Here's an article from UK's Daily Mail on the possible true extent of the number of infected and deaths from the virus in China:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ese-conglomerate-lists-death-toll-24-589.html

The numbers of 154,023 infected and 24,589 deaths, if true, yield a mortality rate of roughly 16%.

THIS is exactly what I eluded to in an earlier post. I think they are FOS and are not accurately providing info to save face. "Pride comes before the fall!"

So let's just take whatever number the PRC puts out and multiply it by 10. Should get us in the ballpark... :mad:

I'd like to hear Doc0 address this, too, but this is very much in my field (public health and health behavior), so I thought I would add my two cents.
Changing habits is a long-term thing. I'd try to be conscious of it all the time, even at home, but you really only have to be vigilant about it while you're out and until you can wash your hands thoroughly. (If you haven't worked in a health or lab environment, please do research proper hand-washing, poor practice can be as bad as not washing.)

I'd say the best way to train yourself quickly is to do something that disrupts the habit. For example, with nail biting, it's putting something spicy or with a strong flavor or odor under the nails, or even wearing those protective rubber fingertip covers, anything that makes you stop and consciously recognize the subconscious action. So wearing cosmetic glasses (nonprescription, like actors would wear) or even the fingertip covers or gloves might make you aware of the impulse to touch your eyes. Or something loose around your wrists that you see move or that makes noise when you go to scratch, although those are easier to get accustomed to and ignore, so if it's a strong habit and you're trying to change it on short notice, you might need a physical barrier.

DW and I have this bad habit of touching our faces. Good advice on doing something to disrupt the behavior. Just ordered cones of shame for the whole family.

Attachments

• 4-cone-of-shame-590sm101812.jpeg
    4-cone-of-shame-590sm101812.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 53
I’ve stopped drinking Corona beer as a precaution. Also avoiding speaking Chinese, reading the word “Corona virus”, thinking about China, eating Chinese food. All tongue in cheek of course.

Darn it. Looks like it would be wise to cancel our trip to Japan followed by a cruise across the Pacific Ocean.

DW and I have this bad habit of touching our faces. Good advice on doing something to disrupt the behavior. Just ordered cones of shame for the whole family.

Either you two have short arms, or you need larger cones. :)

I was thinking of a cruise to Alaska, beginning of the summer, or in early fall a trip to Japan and pick up a cruise over there to cover a bunch of spots once we had trained around a bit.
However, right now I'm holding off on any more cruise plans.

Saw a few more masks than usual on our layover at O'Hare on Sunday. Made me consider that i should wear one.
Unfortunately masks won't prevent you from getting the virus. However, they can help prevent the spread if you have symptoms - especially coughing or sneezing.

Last edited:
Unfortunately masks won't prevent you from getting the virus. However, they can help prevent the spread if you have symptoms - especially caughing or sneezing.
Although this type of discussion is best kept to the nCoV health thread, I didn't want to let this go uncorrected. It sounds like you are referring only to surgical masks. As I've said before, surgical masks are solely designed to keep germs in, off the surgery patient. Respirator masks actually do filter the air. An N95 mask will filter 95% of all particulate matter IF it is properly fitted.

A 3rd cruise ship is now not allowed to dock anywhere. The Westerdam cruise liner, a Holland America ship, left Singapore on January 16 for what should have been a 30-day cruise around Asia. It has been turned away from Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines. The ship now has nowhere to go, yet there is currently no cases of virus on the ship.

Passengers are angry that the ship stopped in Hong Kong and picked up some new passengers on Feb 1st, when the outbreak was already known.

Holland says it will refund the full fare, plus 100% credit for future cruises.

Last edited:
At some point, the poor souls on that ship will have to be allowed to go somewhere. Amazing.

Perhaps Singapore where the ship departed will have to take it back.

It is most likely the entire ship will be quarantined off somewhere for 2 weeks to wait out any sickness that is developed. But it will have to be resupplied with food and fuel by some ports, but nobody wants the responsibility now. It's because any case on board will have to brought ashore for treatment, and nobody wants to deal with sick patients. It's not about selling them food and fuel.

Last edited:
It should be easy enough to park the ship in international waters and send out tenders to refuel and resupply it for long enough that the people on board go through a quarantine period.

Still, if some passengers get sick, they would normally be taken to the nearest port. It's just that nobody wants that on their hand now, and it is awkward to not take up this humanitarian gesture.

Still, if some passengers get sick, they would normally be taken to the nearest port. It's just that nobody wants that on their hand now, and it is awkward to not taking up this humanitarian gesture.

Agreed. I wonder how many more cruise ships will become floating Wuhans?

Anyone shorting CCL?

Prior to this virus outbreak, I already planned for this year to be for domestic travel.

It is going to be an RV'ing year, and no air travel is even involved. It is working out well.

Our non-refundable Delta flights to Japan will cost us $600 and our Celebrity cruise deposit lost $200. There goes $800-wasn’t sure to post to this thread or the blow that dough.

Still thinking about going. There is flu everywhere right?

Anyone shorting CCL?

Not exactly shorting, but we had sold our 100 shares (that we hold to get onboard credit when cruising) for a tax loss in Dec with a plan to repurchase at the end of Jan. Instead I put in a limit order for $35 and I'll adjust it if it looks like the stock might go a lot lower than that. We're not planning to cruise this year anyway.

Our non-refundable Delta flights to Japan will cost us $600 and our Celebrity cruise deposit lost $200. There goes $800-wasn’t sure to post to this thread or the blow that dough.

Still thinking about going. There is flu everywhere right?
Japan has 25 confirmed cases so far, 5th among nations (not counting "other", which includes cruise ships). See https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 if you want to explore the numbers for yourself. I would consider Japan more risky than anywhere outside of southeast Asia, especially with their population density, it is likely to spread, although I would guess they will also have much better hygiene and reporting compliance from their people than most other countries.

Two new GKs expecting this year. So all overseas travel plans on hold. Couldn't ask for better timing. We'll still go to Hawaii this year. Avoiding April though when many Japanese tourists visit.

Japan has 25 confirmed cases so far, 5th among nations (not counting "other", which includes cruise ships). See https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 if you want to explore the numbers for yourself. I would consider Japan riskier than anywhere outside of southeast Asia, especially with their population density, it is likely to spread, although I would guess they will also have much better hygiene and reporting compliance from their people than most other countries.
My mom lives in Japan and has been watching TV news religiously there since this started, and she tells me that no one with the coronavirus in Japan has been seriously ill, even the ones who came from Wuhan. My take is, well, that's that until it's not...

I consider Japan riskier than many other countries, however, not only because a place like Tokyo is densely populated, but also because they haven't stopped flights in and out of China, and they do get a lot of visitors from China all year round. One good thing is that this happened before the Chinese Lunar New because that's when the Chinese travel most, and Japan is China's #1 tourist destination during that time.

I have a trip scheduled for Tokyo in June, so I will see how things go. It's a refundable ticket, but I think I can reschedule by paying penalty and that's fine with me. The stress of worrying about whether I will catch something serious during my travel just won't be worth it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom