Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A primary physician in California describes how a group of 14 American men went to Italy on a skilling vacation and all 14 tested positive for the virus upon return, with 4 hospitalized and 3 of them very ill. The 3 are relatively young and have no underlying medical conditions:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...LA-suburb-calls-schools-shut-immediately.html

Ahh.. important information we may have missed.

a primary care physician treating coronavirus patients in Tarzana- the Los Angeles suburb just 10 miles from Kim Kardashian's Calabasas home,
-

FWIW, I lived in Tarzana as a kid. One of my neighbors was Clayton Moore, The Lone Ranger himself. He would shoot the virus out our hands before we had a chance to touch our faces.

Back on topic...

Rick Steves is cancelling Italy tours until April 12. Two weeks of cancellations has turned into six weeks, in just under one week. I once heard him talk about how the 2008 financial crisis ultimately was a boost to his business. I wonder how he will make lemonade from this.

Last edited:
The younger people in the USA are not really taking the virus seriously. I mean people under 40. You can even see it on message boards like MMM which skew younger and I see it when talking in town to anyone in their 20s to 30s.

To them it is just the flu.

Well it is actually better than that for young folks, since the effect is like the flu at worst to them.

Now is the time to fly, cruise as there will be less old folks to walk behind, and most importantly, lower prices and cancellation policies are great.

Hotels and resorts normally booked full for months have openings and are bundling in some extra perks.
Sometimes it's good to be young, as I recall :)

There there is the morbid side benefit, a sudden increase in inheritance opportunity :mad:

We're sitting here like Marvin Lee Aday, (whose birthday, although he's 5 years younger, falls on the same day as mine......what was that idea Kurt Vonnegut expressed about a new 'family' concept?)....

"Do ya know what it's like
All revved up with no place to go"

I was actually thinking about how nice Disney World will be in a couple of weeks when there are zero lines and you can just race around and ride anything you want. The new Star Wars ride is awesome!!! But it does have a large live cast, not sure how that would work.

Good idea. Her parents have not responded to text either. My DB, her father, is not in the best health. I think I'll wait and see how they respond first. I have PKD (kidney disease) but it's stable, no symptoms. The uncertainty of this virus is frustrating. We have a high Chinese student population at U of I. I keep thinking if (when) we ever get testing underway the positive results will explode in this area.

Why does it matter what her parents say? If you aren't comfortable going why would you go? Cant you just say, Glad you had a wonderful time and I'd love to hear your stories in a couple of weeks?

Not to be a knob but your comment about the Chinese students is right on the line of being offensive. Do you have some solid reasoning to back it up? It's kind of like people not eating in domestic Chinese restaurants because there is a virus in China.

Why does it matter what her parents say? If you aren't comfortable going why would you go? Cant you just say, Glad you had a wonderful time and I'd love to hear your stories in a couple of weeks?

Not to be a knob but your comment about the Chinese students is right on the line of being offensive. Do you have some solid reasoning to back it up? It's kind of like people not eating in domestic Chinese restaurants because there is a virus in China.

It really isn't being offensive actually. There is a much higher likelihood a Chinese student would have either made a visit back to China or have close relatives who have made a visit over a non-Chinese student.

But the horse is out of the barn now anyway. You would have to be skeptical of Korean students, Italian students, and pretty soon, everyone.

It really isn't being offensive actually. There is a much higher likelihood a Chinese student would have either made a visit back to China or have close relatives who have made a visit over a non-Chinese student.

But the horse is out of the barn now anyway. You would have to be skeptical of Korean students, Italian students, and pretty soon, everyone.

That was my point thanks for making it too. As this stage it's not productive to single out groups of people. For example every part of China wasn't slammed with the virus and every person in Wuhan didn't get the virus.

For me I'd be steering clear of anyone who either cruised or traveled internationally in the last two weeks...Everyone...

Students travel frequently. They live in close quarters and classes are large, changing every hour. Study rooms are close quarters too. The virus started in China and hopped over here, to Italy and many other countries quickly. Sorry if my honesty offends you. I'm also showing concern about going to visit my own niece and nephew. Is that offensive too?

Let’s remember to keep it friendly, folks.

That was my point thanks for making it too. As this stage it's not productive to single out groups of people. For example every part of China wasn't slammed with the virus and every person in Wuhan didn't get the virus.

For me I'd be steering clear of anyone who either cruised or traveled internationally in the last two weeks...Everyone...

Sure, I agree with you, but it doesn't mean you are being offensive if you steer clear of a group of people who have a higher probability of giving you a disease.

I think there is also some residual resentment in China initially covering up the virus outbreak and also some resentment in the fact that it likely originated from illegal and unethical wild animal markets with very poor sanitary conditions in such markets.

The folks in Oakland must wonder why their community is the lucky one to receive and process these cruise ship passengers. They missed out on all the cruising fun yet must bear the risk of getting some unwanted and potentially deadly souvenirs.

Lucky Dude

The folks here in San ANtonio are equally as blessed. As a completely landlocked city we are getting our SECOND round of cruise ship evacuees in quarantine. We also had a negligent release of a infected evacuee into the biggest mall of the city for light dinner and shopping before she was returned to quarantine. eyeroll.

Sure, I agree with you, but it doesn't mean you are being offensive if you steer clear of a group of people who have a higher probability of giving you a disease.

I think there is also some residual resentment in China initially covering up the virus outbreak and also some resentment in the fact that it likely originated from illegal and unethical wild animal markets with very poor sanitary conditions in such markets.

I see the ruler of China made a trip to Wuhan today...so that's a good sign for that city. I hope the worst is over for them.

The folks here in San ANtonio are equally as blessed. As a completely landlocked city we are getting our SECOND round of cruise ship evacuees in quarantine. We also had a negligent release of a infected evacuee into the biggest mall of the city for light dinner and shopping before she was returned to quarantine. eyeroll.

The city has benefitted greatly from the presence of the AFB. This is just part and parcel of what comes with it... the good news the government has said they have no plans to repatriate ant more citizens from cruise ships.

And many of these evacuees were in the wrong place at the wrong time and are perfectly healthy. Lets hope they stay that way.

we are getting our SECOND round of cruise ship evacuees in quarantine.

A small city in Eastern Ontario, about 12 miles from here, just received (at the Air Force Base), a batch of cruise ship evacuees from California....(they previously received Canadian expats who had been working in China).

So, our 'government', always carping about the 'environment', has flown people pretty much all the way across the continent when there are closer alternatives.

The larger issue is the lack of test kits. If DN goes to a Dr appt., when signing in, one of the first things they ask "have you been out of the country in the last 6 months?" If she responds "yes" my guess is the next question, where did you go? how long were you there? Not to be a "knob" but if she responded "China" would the Dr office react differently than Dubai? I have no idea. Should they test her? The uncertainty is why there are more than 100 pages of discussion on this forum about CV health, travel and finances. The uncertainty is why the markets are responding the way they are.

Many CEO's, financial pundits, gov. officials are scrambling about what to do. We need to get a handle on how far this has spread. We have no idea. IMHO

Last edited:
Last edited:
The younger people in the USA are not really taking the virus seriously. I mean people under 40. You can even see it on message boards like MMM which skew younger and I see it when talking in town to anyone in their 20s to 30s.

I'm guilty of this and in my mid-40s. I know my behavior would be different if I was over 60. Instead, I'm pretty mostly doing everything as I normally would. And the place I went to last night was busy, busier than usually for a Monday night. Maybe because more people are staying home from work?

I've also looked at travel deals. Airline tickets can be cheap, but I haven't found cheaper lodgings, at least not cheap enough to make it interesting. Instead, I'm thinking of taking a longer ski trip. I already have 5 days planned at the end of March, but since I can work remotely, I'm thinking of leaving sooner and stay for a couple of weeks. Need to maximize the Epic pass I bought for this year!

The larger issue is the lack of test kits. If DN goes to a Dr appt., when signing in, one of the first things they ask "have you been out of the country in the last 6 months?" If she responds "yes" my guess is the next question, where did you go? how long were you there? Not to be a "knob" but if she responded "China" would the Dr office react differently than Dubai? I have no idea. Should they test her? The uncertainty is why there are more than 100 pages of discussion on this forum about CV health, travel and finances. The uncertainty is why the markets are responding the way they are.

Many CEO's, financial pundits, gov. officials are scrambling about what to do. We need to get a handle on how far this has spread. We have no idea. IMHO

Why do they say 6 months what someone did 6 months ago isn't too important..IMO they should prescreen before you show up and ask have you traveled internationally in the past 21 days..these patients should be diverted to a separate room and provided masks for everyone's protection .say a student in the local university traveled to China and came back healthy they could later be infected by a local person and the fact they had been to China means nothing. I don't know how to get a handle on how far it's spread

DS and family will be making a ski trip during spring break in their bus-style motor home. They have reserved a parking spot with power for a fraction of the price of a condo and it is walking distance to the chair lift. No need to hang out in crowded restaurants. Great planning or dumb luck, probably both.

I've also looked at travel deals. Airline tickets can be cheap, but I haven't found cheaper lodgings, at least not cheap enough to make it interesting. Instead, I'm thinking of taking a longer ski trip. I already have 5 days planned at the end of March, but since I can work remotely, I'm thinking of leaving sooner and stay for a couple of weeks. Need to maximize the Epic pass I bought for this year!

Enjoy:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-travel-deals/index.html

"For one, iconic and coveted hotels in popular destinations such as Capri and the South of France that are normally sold out six months to a year in advance suddenly have room availability.
Most of these properties have strict 10 to 45-day cancellation policies during the spring and summer but, in a bid to attract guests, have cut these policies down to a few days and are throwing in upgrades and valuable amenities as an added incentive.
"

I absolutely agree.

DW's parents are immigrants from China and they say the same thing. When the outbreak hit mainland and there were reports of Chinese visitors going to other countries and falling sick, they told our family not to go to any Chinese restaurants, markets, and establishments where we might come into contact with folks coming in from China. It's not being offensive; it's simple prudence.

Now the virus is pretty much everywhere, such measures don't really work anymore of course.

Lucky Dude

Medical officials have asked seniors and those with health problems not to take cruises. Given that the risk of catching this coronavirus on a cruise is well known should all of us pick up the tab for quarantining residents to ignore this advice? Where are the consequences, other than getting really sick, for folks with the money to take a cruise and then are quarantined?

Rick Steves is cancelling Italy tours until April 12. Two weeks of cancellations has turned into six weeks, in just under one week. I once heard him talk about how the 2008 financial crisis ultimately was a boost to his business. I wonder how he will make lemonade from this.

Rick is right (I love his travel shows, BTW). With everyone canceling their traveling plans right now, there will be an explosion of pent-up demand with people wanting to do their trips when this whole virus thing blows over.

Unfortunately not all the tourism related business will survive the downturn in the meantime.

Lucky Dude

Medical officials have asked seniors and those with health problems not to take cruises. Given that the risk of catching this coronavirus on a cruise is well known should all of us pick up the tab for quarantining residents to ignore this advice? Where are the consequences, other than getting really sick, for folks with the money to take a cruise and then are quarantined?

I understand your point. I'm more concerned about the consequences that are unfolding for the rest of the public when these people come back from their cruises, are sometimes being let loose into their communities without restriction, and then start spreading it around to the rest of us. The disruptive effects of this have barely been seen or understood yet. There isn't a consistent pattern of how this is all being handled from state to state, city to city, etc. It makes it hard to know what to expect in your community.

What surprises me more is when I see that some people older than me aren't taking it seriously. A relative in her 70's just today posted an outdated TV screenshot that compares this to the flu, showing a number of 299 infected in the US with 15 deaths. Point being, I guess, to show how foolish it is to take this so seriously. Um, Johns Hopkins has the count up to 791 now. :facepalm: Anyone familiar with that map knows how the cases have exploded in many countries over a short period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom