Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that small communities like Moab may be more worried about outside visitors bringing the virus to them, as opposed to "what do we do with these sick people." Can't blame them, but their ability to help is indeed limited.

We have traveled a fair amount in Africa, and I remember a doctor saying that "if you get seriously sick or injured in the bush, the is no ambulance screaming across the landscape to take you to a nice hospital. There is probably no doctor or medicines. Quietly, you simply die."

Sobering.

Arrived home from Las Vegas yesterday. I check out the Flight Aware site every now and then and it seems striking how few planes are in the air over China and SE Asia at the moment. My annual hockey tournament scheduled for April 16-18 was canceled today. Rats.

Canada and the USA are in secret talks to ban travel between the two countries. But it leaked out...

Fairly effectively happening without an agreement. Non-commercial vehicular traffic near zero at Ontario-NY and Ontario-Michigan bridge crossings and one of the two major air carriers suspended all flights to US for 30 days.

So if you need to be in one or the other, it would be wise to be prepared to move fast if needed so you don't get stuck on the wrong side.

Friends are currently in Florida; they were scheduled to return at month's end.

Exchanged e-mails last evening.....they're leaving in 6 minutes.....2 day drive.

Last edited:
Got back from Argentina early due to cancellation of all international flights out of the country to the US. We were never notified by airlines, just got lucky we read the news! Argentina did a basic screen for fever for all bus passengers coming in from Chile and a more tests for Americans, Canadians and Europeans. Oddly, when we arrived in Miami via Mexico, no health or fever screens were given. We are in our 50s but have a lot of seniors here in Florida so we are self isolating for 14 days at least in case we are carriers.

Mom is in the Philippines with similar international flight cancellations but decided it was best for her to stay rather than risk being exposed on the plane and imports.

Oh my. CCL is trading for $8 today.

I think everyone has just taken their last cruise for a long time.

California trip cancelled next week, as wedding venue closed.
Trip in July and September currently in a holding pattern. I expect we will cancel them out also.
Save a little money this way, I guess! Happy to be at home and healthy.
Being an introvert helps with shelter in place--lol.

Cancel Flight For One Traveler On A Reservation?

My DW and I are ticketed on a flight to Florida on AA for travel next month. She doesn't want to go; I still may. Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel one traveler on a reservation? We are booked on a single record locator number.

I went to AA, found the trip, but didn't want to press Cancel to see what would happen next. Scoured their FAQs and nothing. Would think this is a common scenario, even in non-Corona times.

Thanks.

My DW and I are ticketed on a flight to Florida on AA for travel next month. She doesn't want to go; I still may. Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel one traveler on a reservation? We are booked on a single record locator number.

I went to AA, found the trip, but didn't want to press Cancel to see what would happen next. Scoured their FAQs and nothing. Would think this is a common scenario, even in non-Corona times.

Thanks.

Airline traffic is plummeting and at some point it may make more sense for airlines to ground airplanes than to fly them with just a handful of people on board. So if you go to Florida I would be prepared to stay there for the foreseeable future.

Thanks.

I had to read this one twice.

What's your expectation of what you think will happen between the two of you if you actually do this. so here's a tip don't do anything and see A) if the virus fairy waves her wand and makes it vanish B) wait and see if the flight gets cancelled. C) think long and hard about why you think it's OK for you to go alone..I presume you plan on returning to your own home after the trip. (if the locks aren't changed that is)

Thanks.

I’m certain you can call in and have them split the reservation so you can go and cancel hers. This assumes the tickets weren’t purchased on a special promotional offer similar to the Alaska Air Companion Fare.

I had to read this one twice.

What's your expectation of what you think will happen between the two of you if you actually do this. so here's a tip don't do anything and see A) if the virus fairy waves her wand and makes it vanish B) wait and see if the flight gets cancelled. C) think long and hard about why you think it's OK for you to go alone..I presume you plan on returning to your own home after the trip. (if the locks aren't changed that is)

Agree 100%.
Trooper - listen to the other gender on this site and you will come to the only logical conclusion.

Canada and the USA are in secret talks to ban travel between the two countries. But it leaked out...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-u-working-mutual-deal-041252538.html

So if you need to be in one or the other, it would be wise to be prepared to move fast if needed so you don't get stuck on the wrong side.

It seems to me both countries would want to limit travel for leisure or non-essential activities. I don't think they would block their own citizens who want to repatriate. Is there anything decided to the contrary?

Thanks.

And what would you do when you arrive in florida? Beaches - closed or closing. Parks - same. Restaurants? Drive thru. Bars - closed. Oh just visiting friends? Great, go through an airport, ride on a plane and show up at my front door I'll put the hose on you, and send you right back to the airport.

Agree 100%.
Trooper - listen to the other gender on this site and you will come to the only logical conclusion.

Done. I'm not traveling and will cancel/postpone both of our flights. Thanks for the responses everyone.

^^^^ Don't cancel yet. Wait until the very last minute, in case all travel is banned or the flight is cancelled. Then you *might* get your money back.

Done. I'm not traveling and will cancel/postpone both of our flights. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Smart choice.

Good luck with the cancelation. Our DD and family were coming down to South Fl end of the month. After we talked yesterday came the announcements that restaurants, beaches and park were closed. Followed by announcements by our HOA that the pool, clubhouse, tennis courts were also closed. So she’s trying to cancel, but it seems one airline (AA) refused. Said to call back next week.

When faced with difficult choices like that I ask myself “if this ends badly and someone (such as DW) asks me “what we’re you thinking” what will I say. If it’s lame, or just a blank stare, that says it all.

It seems to me both countries would want to limit travel for leisure or non-essential activities. I don't think they would block their own citizens who want to repatriate. Is there anything decided to the contrary?

Snowbird BC friends were due to leave yesterday driving with RV to return home. Multi-day drive. I’m glad to see that snowbirds will be allowed to repatriate.

Last edited:
Snowbird BC friends were due to leave yesterday drinking with RV to return home. Multi-day drive. I’m glad to see that snowbirds will be allowed to repatriate.

Did you mean "driving" or do you mean they stocked up and will be drinking during the trip? I know it is stressful out there and all, but?

After the border with Canada was closed this morning, we cancelled a 40th Wedding Anniversary Quebec trip for early June. Full refund from the Auberge we had booked. Feel sorry for these small business operators. We'll stay stateside and fairly local if we feel comfortable traveling by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom