Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same story, my TA was Costco, I cancelled March 17 (almost 6 wks ago) Costco said refund in about 10 business days, after about 12 business days I called back Costco. They then said it would be 60 days :mad:

I disputed the final payment as was told refund, but none showed up. Could not dispute the entire amount due to early payment of deposit.

My refund request, and yours (Retire2013) were both done prior to Princess changing their policy to say it would take 60 days to refund.
I phoned Princess, the worker said their policy was retroactive :facepalm::mad:

Update:
Three weeks after disputing the majority of my payment to Princess, the credit card (BOA) has conditionally credited my account. It will be final after Princess does not fight/dispute it.

Princess still owes me the remaining amount and it has been 57 days, a lot longer than the Costco TA said of 7-10 business days.

Meanwhile, I've been refunded within a few days by American Air, AirBnB, and a hotel in UK.

This is less fun than going on a cruise.

Princess still owes me the remaining amount and it has been 57 days, a lot longer than the Costco TA said of 7-10 business days.

Some are worse. Holland America owes me the entire cost of a planned trip and their information is that it can take up to 90 days to get the check out.

In fairness, even my travel agent said HA is processing "hundreds of thousands" of these refunds, and they're all working from home so it's kind of understandable.

Interesting study of 1 regarding no transmission on an international 15 hour flight.

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/lack-covid-19-transmission-international-flight

Interesting. I suppose actual transmission actually depends upon a serendipitous set of circumstances as to whether you are in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong protective gear.

Today the talking heads on the TV were engaging in speculation that the airport is more dangerous for transmission than the actual airplane, because the air on the plane is filtered. Since no one actually knows, it was like some yakkers in a workplace lunchroom sharing their opinion. Which can be entertaining.

In fairness, even my travel agent said HA is processing "hundreds of thousands" of these refunds, and they're all working from home so it's kind of understandable.
I find it interesting that when they have big sale and get a huge volume of orders in a short time, they manage to collect the money without the slightest problem.

I simply do not accept that it's a system or process issue that's slowing down the refunds. I think it's just that they don't want to let go of the funds, and so are dragging their feet. After all, businesses that decided early-on to honor their customers, like AirBnB, got refunds out pretty much immediately (or at least that was what I experienced).

I find it interesting that when they have big sale and get a huge volume of orders in a short time, they manage to collect the money without the slightest problem.

I simply do not accept that it's a system or process issue that's slowing down the refunds. I think it's just that they don't want to let go of the funds, and so are dragging their feet. After all, businesses that decided early-on to honor their customers, like AirBnB, got refunds out pretty much immediately (or at least that was what I experienced).

+1
I totally agree, and go farther in thinking it's really a ponzi scheme, in that they don't have the cash to refund and pay ongoing expenses, without getting in fresh money.

So when I paid my full fare about 4 months before the cruise, they didn't stick that payment in the bank and leave it. No they spent it, so now they need a new cruise payment (or a loan) from someone to repay me.

We planned to return from a European cruise on WestJet Airlines, one I hadn't heard of when booking the flight, but they had good fares and a schedule that met our needs.

Last week they canceled our flight (we had already decided not to go on the cruise) with the following info:
We are not processing refunds to original form of payment at this time. The full value of your flight will be refunded to a WestJet travel bank, which is valid for 24 months from date of issue. If you prefer a refund to original form of payment, we will provide information at a later date.

Perhaps we will still get a cash refund. The problem is WestJet doesn't fly to many destinations that interest us. And since they're based in Canada, they don't have to adhere to US laws regarding flight cancellations. Get what you pay for I guess.

Get what you pay for I guess.
I'd still dispute the credit card transaction. I had short hop on a very small Peruvian airline and they didn't even fight the dispute...went through right away. Meanwhile, the dispute with the American Airlines charges are still hanging out there. I have the conditional credit, but those cases have an expiration date, and I'm not sure what will happen then (if I will "win" or not). Actually, there's no winning. It's either I loose or break even :LOL:

I'm not sure what use a "conditional credit" is, as I have one for about $4.5K , so I'm not currently using my travel card and wouldn't mind transferring the money to some other account.
However, what if they want it back or something... ?
Why give it to me if it's conditional, make a decision and have it final seems more clear to me.

Plus I learned from an earlier refund credit, that the mechanism to transfer the money takes a phone call and about a week of waiting :(

Today the talking heads on the TV were engaging in speculation that the airport is more dangerous for transmission than the actual airplane, because the air on the plane is filtered.

The airlines love to tell you they have HEPA filters on the plane, but from what I've read, HEPA filters don't block viruses.

I agree that airports are probably riskier- way too many people going through too many touch points, with the additional risks of buying and consuming food, since the airlines have stopped serving just about anything except on long hauls. On my March 19 trip home from Bolivia I was in 5 airports (including departure and destination) over 24 hours. I was more nervous about that than about the planes.

The airlines love to tell you they have HEPA filters on the plane, but from what I've read, HEPA filters don't block viruses.

I agree that airports are probably riskier- way too many people going through too many touch points, with the additional risks of buying and consuming food, since the airlines have stopped serving just about anything except on long hauls. On my March 19 trip home from Bolivia I was in 5 airports (including departure and destination) over 24 hours. I was more nervous about that than about the planes.

No, HEPA filters probably work well, but filters only work for things that go through the filter point. Unless each passenger is wearing a mask whose air supply comes right from the filter, the filtration method isn't the weak point, it's the circulation of cabin air, and the circulation of airborne particles before they get to the filter. That's why when I flew in February, I turned the vent in the ceiling on to blow directly on my face, because that is air coming from the filter.

Note that NCoV2, like most coronaviruses, is probably 0.1-0.2 microns, which is close but not equal to the size for which the filter is least effective, so I would guess that it is about 99.97% effective at filtering it out:

HEPA is a type of pleated mechanical air filter. It is an acronym for "high efficiency particulate air [filter]" (as officially defined by the U.S. Dept. of Energy). This type of air filter can theoretically remove at least 99.97% of dust, pollen, mold, bacteria, and any airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns (µm). The diameter specification of 0.3 microns responds to the worst case; the most penetrating particle size (MPPS). Particles that are larger or smaller are trapped with even higher efficiency. Using the worst case particle size results in the worst case efficiency rating (i.e. 99.97% or better for all particle sizes).

A single virus particle might zip right through a HEPA filter, but those are probably not the main problem. More of what you want to filter are combined with fluids, and so larger. I read that the line between aerosol and droplet was arbitrary, as it's a continuum. Since I tend to pick up more colds when traveling, I've been aiming the air at my face on flights (and taking zinc mouth spray).

... The problem is WestJet doesn't fly to many destinations that interest us. And since they're based in Canada, they don't have to adhere to US laws regarding flight cancellations. Get what you pay for I guess.

If the flight you booked was expected to land in the U.S, then they do have to adhere to U.S. laws regarding refunds. The DoT has issued two notices about this. You might check and see if you think WestJet is in compliance with these notices:
- https://www.transportation.gov/site...4/Enforcement Notice Final April 3 2020_0.pdf
- https://www.transportation.gov/site...nd Enforcement Notice FINAL (May 12 2020).pdf

If they're not, and they refuse to provide the refund info when you ask for it, then you can file a complaint with the DoT at transportation.gov and/or dispute the CC transaction. It would be a kindness to other travelers who are in this same situation to file the complaint.

Well, I suppose it had to happen to me eventually. I am now disputing a cancelled reservation charge with the concessionaire for Yosemite NP

I had several reservations for a June visit to Yosemite. Two visits, two weeks apart with people who had never seen this Park before. Both groups have agreed that with the park currently closed and safety procedures still in their early stages, we should cancel our plans for this year. Maybe 2021?

I called today to attempt to cancel both reservations only to be told that the reservations are under another name!!! The only name I gave them is my name and it is printed on the email confirmation they sent me.

I have emailed them copies of the confirmation and asked them to fix the problem. I am also disputing the charges with Citi Bank.

While I haven't been hurt as bad as those who are out many thousands of dollars, I can still use the money. If nothing else I can give it to my kids, both of whom are suffering financially from the CV19 shutdowns.

Are we having fun yet?

Article in Bloomberg today quotes Qantas saying "social distancing" on flights could cause cost to rise ninefold.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ninefold-with-social-distancing?sref=CMn1jSUv
Doubt it will happen to that extreme as plenty of news stories regarding nearly full flights. Airlines seem to prefer mask requirements and much reduced service while in the air. Qatar has cabin staff in full ppe garb.

If flights get too expensive people won’t fly. We are hoping to reschedule our Europe trip for August 2021 but it will depend on the cost.

Article in Bloomberg today quotes Qantas saying "social distancing" on flights could cause cost to rise ninefold.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ninefold-with-social-distancing?sref=CMn1jSUv
Doubt it will happen to that extreme as plenty of news stories regarding nearly full flights. Airlines seem to prefer mask requirements and much reduced service while in the air. Qatar has cabin staff in full ppe garb.

So basically everyone would be business class.
If the staff are in full PPE, then I wonder how safe passengers will feel, I think I'd want to be in it too.

Airlines have an advantage, as even if some folks get infected, they are off the plane and elsewhere before noticing symptoms days later, so the Airline does not look bad.

After 5 weeks of waiting, I received a full refund for my Norwegian Air flights to Europe.

I called Chase last week regarding two European flights that I booked with points. Both were fully refunded and the points credited back to my account. The entire call took less than 30 minutes.

The only refund I'm waiting for now is with Easyjet. They are trying to process the refund within 28 days, but asked not to contact them until after 90 days have expired. It's a small amount and not a big deal, but I'm sure I'll eventually get a refund.

The odd part is that this is the first time I have no travel planned in at least a decade. I'm already thinking about future trips and would like to book something, but it might be wiser to be patient.

I finally capitulated and took the hotel credit good for 18 months, as they wouldn't do refunds.
In fairness it was booked as prepaid meaning non-refundable, so I was simply hoping for a refund.
Don't really know if 18 months from now we will be able to go, but I'll hope :flowers:

So basically everyone would be business class.
If the staff are in full PPE, then I wonder how safe passengers will feel, I think I'd want to be in it too.

Airlines have an advantage, as even if some folks get infected, they are off the plane and elsewhere before noticing symptoms days later, so the Airline does not look bad.
I'm searching around and can't really find any information that flying is unsafe at the moment. I read of three cases where they know someone was sick on a long flight not noone else was infected because of it. Just small number but I'm hoping we get more examples in the future.

Delta apparently is going to fly with 50% occupancy in Business/First Class. And 60% in the coach sections. They think it will give them a competitive advantage. I tend to agree.

Just received from VTG:

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, cruise line operations ceased worldwide back in March. Many cruise lines have suspended sailings through July of this year, and sailings on some ships have been suspended into the fall. More suspensions are likely.

For those whose sailings were cancelled, most cruise companies have offered a choice between a refund and a future cruise credit (FCC). Never in history have there been so many FCCs floating around so I thought I would use today's newsletter to explain them. Unfortunately, rules differ from one cruise line to the next.

I'll summarize the main components and options for FCCs here and you can read line-by-line specifics by clicking the link below.

Most FCCs range in value from 100% to 150% of the amount the guest originally paid for the cancelled cruise.

With some cruise lines, FCCs may be applied to the entire cost of a new cruise but with others, FCCs cannot be applied to the initial deposit, taxes or fees.

With most cruise lines, FCCs may only be applied to a new booking and may not be applied to a booking that existed at the time the customer chose the FCC option for a cancelled cruise.

You can only use your FCC on the same cruise line that issued the credit, with one exception: FCCs issued by Ponant or Paul Gauguin can be used on either line.

It's possible that a customer could receive an FCC that is bigger than the cost of the next cruise the customer wishes to take. Cruise line policies for the treatment of any "excess" FCC balances vary.

Depending on the cruise line, if the value of a customer's FCC exceeds the price of a new cruise, the remaining credit might be refunded, forfeited, applied to taxes & fees, used for an upgrade, redeemed as part of a second cruise purchase or used to put an onboard credit on the booking.

FCCs are either "attached" to a customer's past guest number, cancelled booking/reservation number or a virtual voucher number and may be applied to the purchase of a new cruise offered by the issuing cruise line anytime up until the expiration date. Many have asked if there is a way to view an FCC on a web page and unfortunately there is not.

Due to the large number of cruises suspended by cruise lines over the past few months, some cruise lines have advised that customers may have to wait up to 60 days from the cancellation date for their FCC to be issued.

However, you do not need to wait for your FCC to be issued in order to reserve your next cruise. You can pay your deposit with a credit card to reserve a future cruise and apply your FCC to the balance due at a later date.

FCC redemption rules vary by cruise line, but typically the credit must be redeemed by the end of 2021 or within twelve months of issue.

In most cases, but not all, FCCs are issued to each guest, have no cash value and are non-transferrable.

Whether you decide to apply your credit now or prefer to wait until a later date to book, a Vacations To Go cruise counselor will be ready to help you navigate the applicable FCC rules, redeem your credit, and take advantage of our deeply discounted cruise pricing.

If you are holding an FCC for a booking that was not originally handled by Vacations To Go, we can still help you use it on a new booking.

To assist you with the FCC redemption process, we have put together a list of each cruise line's cancellation dates, FCC values, booking deadlines and other rules, as well as a link to cruises to which you may apply your credit. To view our comprehensive summary of FCC rules, click here.

Delta apparently is going to fly with 50% occupancy in Business/First Class. And 60% in the coach sections. They think it will give them a competitive advantage. I tend to agree.

I think that's only to June or through June.

I got an email from United announcing CleanPlus, how they will disinfect planes, lounges, etc.

They tout some partnership with Clorox so you will get sanitizers and wipes.

Distancing BEFORE you board but no guarantees of distancing once on board.

I think I saw pics of recent flights to Miami which showed packed cabins.

I think that's only to June or through June.

I got an email from United announcing CleanPlus, how they will disinfect planes, lounges, etc.

They tout some partnership with Clorox so you will get sanitizers and wipes.

Distancing BEFORE you board but no guarantees of distancing once on board.

I think I saw pics of recent flights to Miami which showed packed cabins.
I think this might work during the summer when few people have regular colds etc. What happens during winter cold season when people have regular coughs and want to fly? No one will feel comfortable on that plane with someone coughing anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom