Costco comments and questions

You can also bet that they are watching Amazon's experiments with no-checkout stores and the TSA experience with facial recognition. I'll find out in a couple of months but I've read that Global Entry has gone to facial recognition too. The real experience, though, is within China's surveillance state.

Yes, Global Entry used facial recognition. You don’t do anything but stand in front of the camera. DH kept trying to put his passport on the machine somewhere even though I’d told him the machines didn’t use the passport any more.

I rejoined Costco applying online and dutifully showing up at the store to present my id and get my photo. Placed my first order online it was automatically cancelled. I contacted numerous customer service people who could not explain why except that I needed to be verified and said I should go back the the warehouse, who also cannot explain the problem. I was told to reorder the items and given case number to get the original price (no longer on sale). Meanwhile on my own, I found a "verification" online that I did - and it says I am verified - but there has been no update, no shipping, no cancel and no one seems to know. (Order delivery estimate was Sat) and rep says they ship same day or next day in that case - nope. I thought you were "verified" once you had picked up the card but definitely not. None of the reps seemed very knowledgeable or interested.

Now I will wind up going to buy the items at a different store as I need them by Monday. . . not impressed at all this go round.

I did notice no one cared in the least when I waved my new card at the door person. Certainly no automated scanning going on. From what the 4 reps said I am surmising that the problem stems from me not applying for the Costco visa but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I rarely use Costco but I got the fee in a Christmas gift with a note to rejoin so I thought I'd give it a go but it has been a lot of trouble. I will probably cancel but not until after i see what happens to this purchase that is in some weird limbo.

Annoyed that I will have to go to a physical store to rebuy (Costco brick and mortar doesn't carry it) so it will be a different retailer.

As a single person I really don't buy enough to make it worth a lot.

Editing to add: Purchase was $55. Hardly going to set off any flags.

Last edited:
I've also found that the price in the emails for order only items is sometimes higher when I go to order it on their website.
What's up with that Costco?

Well they finally shipped my order but it won't be here in time so tomorrow I will have to go buy something else at a real store (need item by Sunday pm)*. Then I called to give the SR number for the credit and they don't know how to do that either. . . so I will have to try calling again for a smarter rep I guess. Shocked what a mess this was/is. There was no way this was worth the trouble and that is with a free membership - (gift).

What is different about Costco Direct than Costco online, if anyone knows? My flyer shoes shows both.

Last edited:
Costco has a sign up that states as of April 8 food court customers must show their membership to purchase food. Note: not all food courts are inside the store.

Last edited:
What is different about Costco Direct than Costco online, if anyone knows? My flyer shoes shows both.

I read in the July 2023 Costco Connection that Costco Direct means the item is stocked at the Costco distribution center for quicker order fulfillment.

Regular Costco Online items might get shipped directly from the manufacturer if they are not on a current promotion.

There were 2 new scanner machines at my Costco, one at either side of the entry. An employee beside each machine was there to provide direction. I used the Costco app on my phone for my ID.

The scanners were not permanently mounted; as I left at closing time, I saw the employees carry the scanners pedestals back inside.

At my Costco, non-members can buy liquor and drugs (Rx). Not clear how these folks will be handled with scanners. But also not sure how they were handled before.

Back
Top Bottom