Costco Travel Best of Italy: Experience? Opinions? Comments?

I really liked museums on my first trips but they've become pricey.

Used to spend hours reading those placards which provide a lot of information about the artists and the works as well as listen to those audio guides.

There are also interactive kiosks and I used to buy CD-ROMs from the museums which had more information about the art.

In the case of a city like Paris, artistic movements were a huge part of its history.

Now, I prefer architecture and landscapes, mostly outside the museums. Some of them have great spaces but you're either not allowed to photograph them or they don't photograph that well.

One of the best parts of the Louvre are the balconies overlooking the courtyards. You can see the pyramids below contrasting with the renovated facades. First time I went to the Louvre in the 90s, there was no air conditioning and they opened these giant windows overlooking the Seine. On a sunny day, it was glorious lighting, though I think to preserve the art and the artifacts, they needed to get the climate control systems in and use artificial lighting as well.

The Orsay was definitely less suffocating than the Louvre and much less crowded. Again, I liked the balconies at the midlevel overlooking the Seine but now I've heard that they've prohibited photography there as well.

My favorite view from a museum is probably Ca' Rezzonico. The upper rooms have these tiny side windows with spectacular views of the Grand Canal. Hotels charge well over $500 for rooms with views of the Grand Canal.

Back
Top Bottom