Covid-19 antibody testing of blood donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I was on the premises at my church blood drive- I'd donated to another blood bank a month before so was ineligible. This was the Red Cross and they publicized the COVID-19 tests every donor would get, with results available on-line in a week or so. Usually we get 12 units in a day. Last week we got 24.:D

That was the good news- I felt bad, though, that some of our regular donors couldn't get appointments because of the overwhelming demand from people who were motivated by the freebie test. They couldn't even accommodate walk-ins- all the beds were full.

The bank where I donate still isn't testing- according to their web site there's not a lot of knowledge about what the results mean. If being positive meant you had had it and now had lifetime immunity that would be nice, but it's nowhere near that.

I continue to donate every 8 weeks but am not sure what I'd do differently if I had test results, either positive or negative.

The bank where I donate still isn't testing- according to their web site there's not a lot of knowledge about what the results mean. If being positive meant you had had it and now had lifetime immunity that would be nice, but it's nowhere near that.

I continue to donate every 8 weeks but am not sure what I'd do differently if I had test results, either positive or negative.

I got the antibody test about 3 months after I suspect I had COVID-19 (that was the first time it was offered in my area). I do not know for sure if I had it, because COVID-19 testing (for the disease, not antibodies) was not even available in my area back in early March, when I was sick. My antibody test was negative. But now I am reading that after 60 days since you had the virus, most people no longer have antibodies. I wish I had known that before I had the antibody test done! And the article I posted above indicates that even if you don't have antibodies, you may have the T cells and B cells which provide some degree of immunity. I think a lot of people are being mislead by what the current antibody tests tell you - unless you are within 60 days of having the virus, the results are basically meaningless, in my opinion.

I give platelets every 2 to 3 weeks. No surprise: my antibody test is negative.

When my local bank offered antibody testing in May, they got overwhelmed. It was a bit of a hassle to donate! Now that the Red Cross is also offering it, we're back to a nice calm normal. I just like seeing less people in the room during this virus time. The bank never crowded the room, it is just that more people are coming and going giving whole blood while I spend my hour+ donating platelets. More people equals more opportunity for exposure

In addition to helping others who need blood, there is another pretty good reason to donate. Frequent blood donors live longer than those who do not donate blood. There is some evidence that this may be due to the reduction in iron (ferritin) levels that happens when you donate blood. Many older guys, in particular, have ferritin levels that are not healthy. Donating blood drops your ferritin, and may thus have a protective effect.
Agree! It is good, just watch it if you are very regular. I started getting deferred to donate. Went to my doctor, got the ferritin test, and he called me up and said the test was broken because my ferritin was impossibly low (8, yes, just 8) for someone so otherwise healthy. I tried to convince him it was due to 35 years of regular donations. So, we agreed to try iron supplements and retest. Sure enough, it is up to about 20, and rising.

So, yeah, too much ferritin is very bad. Too little makes you a bit sluggish. I could tell the difference after about 4 weeks of iron therapy. Much more energy.

Agree! It is good, just watch it if you are very regular. I started getting deferred to donate. Went to my doctor, got the ferritin test, and he called me up and said the test was broken because my ferritin was impossibly low (8, yes, just 8) for someone so otherwise healthy. I tried to convince him it was due to 35 years of regular donations. So, we agreed to try iron supplements and retest. Sure enough, it is up to about 20, and rising.

So, yeah, too much ferritin is very bad. Too little makes you a bit sluggish. I could tell the difference after about 4 weeks of iron therapy. Much more energy.

I can see where donating blood every 2 months for many years might reduce your ferritin to a level that is lower than desired. I donate blood about 2X - 3X times per year now, which is about right for keeping my ferritin at about 60, a good level. I started out with a ferritin around 400 a few years ago, before I started donating blood. I think everyone, but particularly males, should get their ferritin checked annually. The blood test is cheap, and usually covered by insurance. That way, you can see where you stand, and make any necessary adjustments with regard to blood donation or supplementation.

I think everyone, but particularly males, should get their ferritin checked annually. The blood test is cheap, and usually covered by insurance. That way, you can see where you stand, and make any necessary adjustments with regard to blood donation or supplementation.
Agree. High ferritin in men is a largely hidden problem with an easy solution. If not every year, at least get a baseline.

BTW, I'm thankful to someone here on this forum who mentioned that even us apheresis donors (plasma, platelets) can run into low iron issues. The reason is we end up leaving some of our blood in the tubing, and for the testing. So 20 donations per year of 100ml add up to something like 4 whole blood donations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom