Covid Getting Closer to Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece's daughter brought Covid home with her from college last Nov, then passed it to her dad who drove her home from the airport (she had tested negative before she left school). They both felt bad for a few days but no one else in the family caught it.

In July my niece passed away after a botched surgery and we were all feeling comfortable enough to attend the wake and funeral. My niece was a teacher and the funeral home was packed with mourners. My 2 year old grandson and my niece's BIL both came down with Covid within a few days. From what I heard the BIL who wasn't vaccinated was very ill for a few weeks. My grandson was ill for a few days and passed it to my vaccinated daughter who got breakthrough Covid. Luckily she was only ill for a few days. Her husband, other young children and I who had all been in close contact either didn't get it or were asymptomatic.

My DH and I received our boosters as soon as we were eligible. I don't think we will be done with Covid for a long time.

My best wishes to all of you that are still battling cases or lingering symptoms within your families.

My BIL/SIL/niece all had cases over the summer, unvaccinated, and others did not tell us. We and another SIL/niece are the few (only?) vaccinated people on that branch of the family. Additional cases and a few deaths of older relatives, pre vaccine.

I think the research at this point shows that indoor gatherings, especially parties, concerts, bars and nightclubs with poor ventilation have a high rate of generating outbreaks. Put a large number of people without distancing in a small space, and poor ventilation, and you get pretty nice conditions for viruses. It will be interesting to see if vaccination only venues have been able to reduce this.

I have a vaccinated (moderna) elderly relative who got it (I assume at church). The antibodies didn't seem to help him get any better but he is not worse either. Been sick over 2 weeks IDK exactly.

Thanks to whoever said former smokers could get it, that means I qualify after all. Hmm.

Oh Bamaman, I am so sorry this has happened, especially to your wife. I know that your wife (like my DH) struggles with many health issues. She certainly does not need Covid on top of everything else. In my prayers.

+1

Unfortunately I feel that indoor concerts, crowded events, etc. with many unmasked it’s still just too easy to spread Covid. When cases drop considerably it might be OK.

The whole aerosol thing means keeping distance in a heavily occupied area won’t help.
It never even occurred to me that the concert might be indoor. I just asked and it turns out there was 2 concerts that night a smaller one indoor and a larger outdoor. She went to both and proof of vaccination was needed to be shown at each of them.
Today she felt a little better but after tidying the house, she's absolutely exhausted. Most symptoms have lessened but cough and congestion are getting worse and still no taste or smell.

It never even occurred to me that the concert might be indoor. I just asked and it turns out there was 2 concerts that night a smaller one indoor and a larger outdoor. She went to both and proof of vaccination was needed to be shown at each of them.
Today she felt a little better but after tidying the house, she's absolutely exhausted. Most symptoms have lessened but cough and congestion are getting worse and still no taste or smell.

Fair enough but the cavet is that you can't be certain the covid came from the concert

Uh Oh.

We found out last night that our almost 3 year old grandson has been exposed to Covid at his day care center. His class holds 12 kids with 2 teachers and our DIL didn't know if it's a child or an adult who tested positive. His class is closed for a week and they were told to watch for symptoms.

We had our grandson stay with us overnight last Wed/Thursday and DH took him to the day care center. DH and I are fully vaccinated and boostered. Our son and DIL are vaccinated and our son was just tested yesterday at his worksite (he was working audio at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony!). They will all get tested this week. Our DIL was vaccinated while pregnant with our other grandson who is 9 weeks old. She told us he has antibodies from her vax but I don't know if he's been tested or if that is an assumption.

This past week our grandson went to at least 3 community Halloween events at the library and children's museum, etc. No masking for kids his age.

I'm very worried about him getting sick. All those unvaccinated and unmasked little kids exposing each other to everything anyone in their families is carrying. How many come from families who don't vaccinate?

Our local CVS stores have appointments for rapid or PCR tests and DH and I will go early this week.

Last edited:
Our 15 year old grandson was very ill 2 weeks ago, high fever, congestion, cough. Had to be out of class for 5 days, until 2 negative tests. Then DD and DSIL got sick. All had negative home tests twice. They are all vaxxed, but have not gotten their flu vaccine yet. Little 2 year old GS was also ill. It was a gut wrencher as we we around them all just prior.
Same week, 5 yo Grandson exposed to positive Covid from classmate in kindergarten. The class was out for two weeks, on zoom for class, and will go back in person on Monday. He never got ill, had a negative test just to be sure.
We have all been vaccinated, DH and I have our boosters also. The 5 year old will be getting his shot as soon as he can.
I am not looking forward to winter. How will kids learn if out of class for weeks at a time?
Masks are required here and in school, but exposures still happen!

You could pick up a Binax Now at Walmart if they are in stock. You are in the window for the test to be useful. CVS may have them, but the price will be a lot higher. Two tests, one for each of you.

Uh Oh.

We found out last night that our almost 3 year old grandson has been exposed to Covid at his day care center. His class holds 12 kids with 2 teachers and our DIL didn't know if it's a child or an adult who tested positive. His class is closed for a week and they were told to watch for symptoms.

We had our grandson stay with us overnight last Wed/Thursday and DH took him to the day care center. DH and I are fully vaccinated and boostered. Our son and DIL are vaccinated and our son was just tested yesterday at his worksite (he was working audio at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony!). They will all get tested this week. Our DIL was vaccinated while pregnant with our other grandson who is 9 weeks old. She told us he has antibodies from her vax but I don't know if he's been tested or if that is an assumption.

This past week our grandson went to at least 3 community Halloween events at the library and children's museum, etc. No masking for kids his age.

I'm very worried about him getting sick. All those unvaccinated and unmasked little kids exposing each other to everything anyone in their families is carrying. How many come from families who don't vaccinate?

Our local CVS stores have appointments for rapid or PCR tests and DH and I will go early this week.

You do you need to get tested your GS hasn't even tested positive? Take a deep breath and worry about him getting horribly sick after he actually gets sick. Most kids have very few issues with Covid. I'm starting to think that Covid has done damage our mental health in general ( I absolutely include myself in this comment)....I have 4 young GK's out in public school and have to try to accept that whatever happens, happens they have to live their lives as kids. Fingers crossed on GS daycare buddies.

The band director for a community band shared with me she was tested for Covid antibodies (not spike protein antibodies) by her doctor and tested positive. She was fully vaccinated last spring and had a “cold” in July, two weeks before we resumed rehearsals.

I asked her if she got tested when she had the “cold”. She said no, in a way that I interpreted as “of course not”. I gave her a dirty look and said you should have gotten a test; that cold was probably Covid. Thankfully she wasn’t working at the time. She now works in assisted living.

She has multiple health problems and goes to multiple physicians, a chiropractor, and she was going to the gym. I worry she gave someone Covid during her gym and other visits.

In TWiV 823 (10/30) Covid-19 update with Dr. Daniel Griffin - YouTube and various podcasts - there was a discussion about a study of people who had the flu vaccine, that they did not get sick from other viruses and are healthier. I am not sure that this is because people who get vaccines take better care of their health or the flu vaccine itself is generally operative.

I'm aware of half a dozen people in my 97 home neighborhood that got Covid, and one neighbor with health problems died. I'm sure more in my neighborhood got Covid, I just don't know about them. I have 3 close family members that got it.
I have two Moderna jabs and a booster, and no longer hunkering down, although I'm not ready to join the gym. I want to really bad, but I'm not comfortable laying my face on a bench after a dozen other people, even after I clean it.

I need to get back into the gym, but won’t until local transmission is back down to “moderate” or lower for a couple of weeks, and will wear a mask. Aerobic exercise can be done at home, but strength training is harder.

It amazes me how few people are informed about local transmission rates. Our state has a phone app that I check every day.

I know relatively few folks who have been infected, but I HAVE lost 2 friends to Covid. One friend died before the vax came out and the other refused the vax. The only other Covid victim I know well was with DW and me at a funeral. We'd all been vax'd but he caught the virus. He recovered relatively quickly and his DW never got it. YMMV

Wife’s friend we were going to spend 3 months with near London just told us she has covid. We’re all vaccinated except her 2 small children. May throw a wrench in our plans for spring. Wife’s cousin died last month after Covid with diabetes. She was vaccinated and a teacher.

You could pick up a Binax Now at Walmart if they are in stock. You are in the window for the test to be useful. CVS may have them, but the price will be a lot higher. Two tests, one for each of you.

Our local library is offering these for free, 2 per household. What a nice idea!

I got a PCR test done today at CVS. I'm on Medicare and have met the Part B deductible so even if there is a cost, it will be covered.

Our grandson is getting tested at the pediatrician this afternoon and DIL is getting tested tomorrow morning. Our son said he had 2 negative tests in the last 4 days at his worksite.

If it sounds like we are being overly cautious it's because DHs brother is planning to be here this weekend. His wife is immuno-compromised, dealing with lung cancer since last year.

Wife’s friend we were going to spend 3 months with near London just told us she has covid. We’re all vaccinated except her 2 small children. May throw a wrench in our plans for spring. Wife’s cousin died last month after Covid with diabetes. She was vaccinated and a teacher.

If your visit is months away, doesn’t that give them plenty of time to recover and have some immunity?

DW’s cousin, her husband, son and his family just came down with Covid. The son and his family moved in with his parents about a month ago when they sold their house and didn’t have another bought yet. So far only the grandson has tested negative. The granddaughter tested positive but has no symptoms. Everyone else has mild symptoms.

We go out with them on occasion. That will have to wait a while.

DW’s cousin, her husband, son and his family just came down with Covid. The son and his family moved in with his parents about a month ago when they sold their house and didn’t have another bought yet. So far only the grandson has tested negative. The granddaughter tested positive but has no symptoms. Everyone else has mild symptoms.

We go out with them on occasion. That will have to wait a while.
Breakthroughs or were they unvaccinated?

Breakthroughs or were they unvaccinated?

I'm not sure. But I believe our friends (the 66 yo's) are unvaccinated based on conversations a few months ago. Not sure about the son and DIL in late 30's and kids about 8 and 10.

We have some other relatives who are staunch vocal anti-vaxxers and vaccine discussions have started a family feud. So we don't talk vaccine with anyone unless they bring it up.

There was an interesting article in the Oregonian a few days ago, investors in long-term care (nursing) homes are losing money, some not paying their mortgages. This was attributed to not only the cost/availability of caregivers but also because fewer people are moving into nursing homes. I believe that because of Covid the % of frail elderly in the population has decreased... they died.

There was an interesting article in the Oregonian a few days ago, investors in long-term care (nursing) homes are losing money, some not paying their mortgages. This was attributed to not only the cost/availability of caregivers but also because fewer people are moving into nursing homes. I believe that because of Covid the % of frail elderly in the population has decreased... they died.

Too many died without their loved ones around, I think that may be the saddest part of the issue.

I would assume that a measurable population-age change has taken place due to Covid deaths. It would be "small" but detectable, I would think. YMMV

Yes, that part of the population was hit the hardest for sure.

We know in the US life expectancy dropped significantly in one year. By the end of 2020 it was back to where it had been in 2010.

All of our tests came back negative. DH and I, son, DIL and grandson. Now back to being cautious like we’ve been all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom