Covid Getting Closer to Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife came down with symptoms and tested positive earlier this week. I, somehow, had no symptoms and tested negative. Go figure...

There are a number of studies that suggest that 10-20% of those infected cause about 80% of subsequent infections, whereas 60-75% of those infected do not subsequently infect others. The number of virus particles in the person's airways seem to be highly variable among those infected. It is discussed in this paper and there are links to others.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33861198/

UGH
DBiL just diagnosed, positive test, he has no symptoms! He needed to get tested prior to a procedure being done, so most likely would have gone completely unknown if not for the testing. He was recently diagnosed with liver cancer. Sister tested negative.( their daughter and DGS had covid a couple weeks ago, and were probably exposed there before the + tests)
We (8 of us) were all together Friday, DH sat next to him and I was across the table, having brunch.
4 of us have tested negative at home so far, but CDC recommends testing after 5 days if vaxxed and exposed. Have appts for PCR test at Drs on Thursday.
Hoping DBiL remains symptom free, he does not need this on top of the cancer and getting ready for treatment to start.

Lost two good friends over the weekend from Covid19. One man and I sit on the same board of directors to this day and have been friends for many years. The other friend has been a close friend for 35 plus years. My wife and his are very close and grew up together. The last time I talked to him was when my son got married in Sept. 2021 but have seen him many times since in passing.

I have lost a lot of people from my life so far from the virus. Then I think of all the many people that I have had known and associated with that I have seen pass away since I retired. It is a reminder again we only have so many minutes here on earth.

Gosh, I’m sorry to read this, street. Take care of yourself.

Unbelievable, our son called last evening, and told us of the death. It was a long night having to think about that.

Both had been vax, but one wasn't booster shot yet. One was 89 and the other was 69 and seemed both healthy people that we knew of.

Just found out a friend from our mountain home is in the hospital with Covid on a ventilator and is not expected to make it. I have been told that he was too stubborn to get the vaccine. So many people are making bad choices.

Sorry for the loss of your friends, street. We all see news that Covid appears to be retreating, but stories like yours shows that Covid is still quite deadly.

So sorry for the losses of dear friends, Street, and your very ill friend, Harlee. We are so fortunate that still no one close to us has been seriously affected by COVID.

Sorry for the loss of your friends, street. We all see news that Covid appears to be retreating, but stories like yours shows that Covid is still quite deadly.
Yes very sorry for all the losses reported here. It's really sad but a reminder at least for me not to let guard down just yet despite what seems like most of the world getting back to normal.

I am saddened to read of the personal losses people who frequent this site have experienced. It serves as a reminder that the statistics we see are actually people not just numbers on a screen. I've been lucky as nobody in my circle has actually perished from this disease. Suffered greatly, yes. Become a long hauler, yes.

Let's hope and pray all the talk of reaching some high level of group immunity that will damp down this disease is true. Time will tell.

I am saddened to read of the personal losses people who frequent this site have experienced. It serves as a reminder that the statistics we see are actually people not just numbers on a screen. I've been lucky as nobody in my circle has actually perished from this disease. Suffered greatly, yes. Become a long hauler, yes.

Let's hope and pray all the talk of reaching some high level of group immunity that will damp down this disease is true. Time will tell.
+1 I get so frustrated reading posts using statistics to justify going without a vaccine, not wearing a mask, and not social distancing as if the people who have died or faced long term health problems due to Covid are not worth protecting since the statistics representing them are low. That seems to be so heartless and self-centered.

Cheers!

Just found out a friend from our mountain home is in the hospital with Covid on a ventilator and is not expected to make it. I have been told that he was too stubborn to get the vaccine. So many people are making bad choices.

IMO: They have been encouraged to do so, using behavioral sciences the advertising industry has burnished over the years.

It reminds me of the '60s when the tobacco industry threw dirt on the correlation between smoking and lung cancer. Just promote some doubt, and people rush to embrace it if it fits their paradigm.

I’m mostly frustrated at the lack of air cleaning mitigation. Air purifiers and CB boxes are not rocket science. Yet reading through all the extensive sanitation list at the United Clubs there is not one mention of air filtering or air flow.

It’s because the virus being airborne was initially downplayed, denied even, so everybody was focusing on surface cleaning, plexiglass barriers, social distancing, etc. Well those mitigations help for avoiding droplets, but if the virus can stay suspended in the air for a while (which everyone admits now - and that it’s the primary way Covid spreads) then those mitigations don’t help. People have to wear masks and you have to continually clean the indoor air or have fresh air coming in from outside.

People are stuck in the same sanitation from 2020.

My sister and her spouse had Covid at Christmas. She told me that they were coming back to their other house and I told her that I wanted to see her. (She was upset that I would not see her for awhile and did not want her coming to our house. They are out and about, but do wear their KN95 masks. They have each had 3 Covid shots.). She called me yesterday to tell me that they both have Covid again and are staying there for about a week. She assures me that she has had worst colds than this bout of Covid.

If I knew I would get a mild case and that I would not be a long hauler, then I would go out and about. I was thinking about going to the retiree luncheon in March, but now I am rethinking it. They usually last about 2 hours and of course it is inside do to weather here.

Hopefully this Post article is not behind a paywall. It speaks of scary long term effects of Covid that get glossed over by the "it was like a cold" crowd.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/02/21/covid-cardiac-issues-longterm/

A pivotal study that looked at health records of more than 153,000 U.S. veterans published this month in Nature Medicine found that their risk of cardiovascular disease of all types increased substantially in the year following infection, even when they had mild cases.

My sister and her spouse had Covid at Christmas. She told me that they were coming back to their other house and I told her that I wanted to see her. (She was upset that I would not see her for awhile and did not want her coming to our house. They are out and about, but do wear their KN95 masks. They have each had 3 Covid shots.). She called me yesterday to tell me that they both have Covid again and are staying there for about a week. She assures me that she has had worst colds than this bout of Covid.

If I knew I would get a mild case and that I would not be a long hauler, then I would go out and about. I was thinking about going to the retiree luncheon in March, but now I am rethinking it. They usually last about 2 hours and of course it is inside do to weather here.

That's kind of concerning if they got reinfected in less than 2 months.

Or maybe they never fully cleared the virus and it's flaring up again.

Were both times mild?

Maybe in December it was Delta and now it's Omicron.

Hopefully this Post article is not behind a paywall. It speaks of scary long term effects of Covid that get glossed over by the "it was like a cold" crowd.

What does even mean. Some people end up in the ICU and some people feel they had a cold. This is a fact..

Last edited by a moderator:
What does even mean. Some people end up in the ICU and some people feel they had a cold. This is a fact..
I think the point is that people who continue to believe that COVID isn't a serious illness are disregarding the fact that death is not the only bad outcome. Even people who had mild illness aren't necessarily okay. They may have heart or lung damage, clots, long COVID, etc. We're only just beginning to learn the long term complications.

I think the point is that people who continue to believe that COVID isn't a serious illness are disregarding the fact that death is not the only bad outcome. Even people who had mild illness aren't necessarily okay. They may have heart or lung damage, clots, long COVID, etc. We're only just beginning to learn the long term complications.

Your comment doesn't actually change the fact that if someone says they got Covid and it felt like a cold, that can be completely true.

The young wife and I both got Covid right before Christmas, and it really was just like a bad cold for a week. Will we have long term effects? I don't know, but we haven't noticed anything yet. I would have preferred not to get Covid at all, but sometimes you just have to take what life hands you.

I’m mostly frustrated at the lack of air cleaning mitigation. Air purifiers and CB boxes are not rocket science. Yet reading through all the extensive sanitation list at the United Clubs there is not one mention of air filtering or air flow.

It’s because the virus being airborne was initially downplayed, denied even, so everybody was focusing on surface cleaning, plexiglass barriers, social distancing, etc. Well those mitigations help for avoiding droplets, but if the virus can stay suspended in the air for a while (which everyone admits now - and that it’s the primary way Covid spreads) then those mitigations don’t help. People have to wear masks and you have to continually clean the indoor air or have fresh air coming in from outside.

People are stuck in the same sanitation from 2020.
+1 Before I would consider socializing in an enclosed environment when so many people are unconcerned about the health of others I would want to see a room size ceiling lab hood exhaust installed that has a high air volume turn over rate. :D

Cheers!

Your comment doesn't actually change the fact that if someone says they got Covid and it felt like a cold, that can be completely true.
Agreed. It's probably too soon to say how many long haul sufferers there will be from Omicron, but presuming it will be the same as the more harsh earlier variants, although expedient, probably isn't the best estimate. Also, there seems to be merit in the idea to get the inevitable infection sooner after a vaccination, while there are fresh antibodies. That is, if the idea of avoiding it forever is off the table.

I too am sorry to read this Street, Prayers for you as well as the families affected.

there seems to be merit in the idea to get the inevitable infection sooner after a vaccination, while there are fresh antibodies. That is, if the idea of avoiding it forever is off the table.

Dr. John Campbell discusses this idea here...

Pandemic ends Thursday in the UK.

https://youtu.be/AOUHSg81HMU

Seems to make sense, looks like we will see shortly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom