Covid impact on our schools -a lost generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameTaken2

Recycles dryer sheets
Many of the elderly/vulnerable may decide to mask indefinitely, regardless of relaxed mandates/policies.
They'd do this, obviously, with their main objective being their health and longevity.

Concerns of the elderly/vulnerable can't be ignored, but neither can the impact masking and isolation have had on society and the development of kids in particular. Of all the current Hot Button issues, the sad stories I hear from the front lines in our schools rank up there with my biggest concerns. A teacher told me that recently when they addressed a student's behavior, the student replied "we run the school". That response wasn't a surprise based on what I know (and this is/was considered a "good school district"). Unbearable stress, frustration, and lack of hope have led to many teachers retiring or leaving the profession, and a significant drop in enrollment for teaching degrees -understandably. I'd call it a crisis, and likely that teachers who care the most are also the most frustrated/leaving, therefore a higher proportion of those staying may "mail it in". Our schools are a mess -and again just my opinion but kids today are in the process of becoming a Lost Generation –if not reversed, I worry about the future.

[FONT=&quot]There are competing priorities/needs for two groups. The elderly/vulnerable will want masks, but when possible the young need to be in school and relieved of masks ASAP to support getting back to normal development. School administrations have to raise the bar on behavior and academics, and attempt to move away from fear of upsetting "fragile students". It may sound cold, but it has to end -kids can't be allowed to forever embrace the "victim" role and be led to believe the world revolves around them. Sounds dramatic, but I believe the future depends on this. The drastically slipping discipline and quality of education in our schools is a crisis, and should be one of the highest priorities of government and families at this time.

[/FONT]That’s my perspective.

Do you know someone teaching in our schools? What do they tell you? What is your perspective?

Unfortunately, threads involving a debate regarding mask wearing have quickly spiraled down into unacceptable political territory here. It's a valid issue, but doesn't meet the posted criteria for this forum.

There has been a lot of very useful information and perspective shared here on this topic, but unfortunately also a good bit that does not meet our standards. Please respect your fellow members by thinking through this before posting:

- Is it true?
- Is it helpful?
- Is it kind?

All new Covid discussions will be approved only after consensus of the Moderator team, to ensure topics are specific to our community, to drive helpful, thoughtful conversations, eg: Travel updates, treatment news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom