Covid Vaccine and Shingrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

DektolMan

Recycles dryer sheets
Not sure if this has been answered before.

I'm scheduled to have my 1st Covid Vaccine the 1st week of March and DW is not on schedule yet because she is younger. We both need our Shingrx vaccine also and I'm looking for guidelines on how far apart time wise I'll have to wait between vaccines.

Thanks

Not sure if this has been answered before.

I'm scheduled to have my 1st Covid Vaccine the 1st week of March and DW is not on schedule yet because she is younger. We both need our Shingrx vaccine also and I'm looking for guidelines on how far apart time wise I'll have to wait between vaccines.

Thanks

When I got my Covid vaccine one of the questions was whether I had any other vaccines in the last 2 weeks. If I had any other vaccines in the last 2 weeks I would not have been allowed to get the Covid vaccine. So I would say the minimun time is 2 weeks. But personally I would wait longer --maybe a couple of months. In my opinion the Shingrix vaccine is rough to take. I had no side effects from the Covid vaccine but felt bad for a while after the Shingrix vaccine.

Two weeks between seems to be the standard for all vaccines. Nothing special about Covid or shingles. I had a tetanus booster at my last physical and the nurse said two weeks.

DW just got her Shingrix a few minutes ago, and they said not to do Shingrix if you will have an opportunity for the Covid-19 vaccine in the next 2 weeks.

Everything I have read says two weeks. I just had my second Shingrix shot on 2-23, so I'll wait until after 3-09 before I try to sign up for the Covid Vaccine, for the 8th time! I figured I'd get the Shingrix and give it two weeks, hoping my chances will improve.

DH just asked his doc this and she said 3 weeks to a month in between was her personal recommendation

Very strange to me, given what I've read about what's known about how Shingrix loses some effectiveness over time, that two shots are given within two weeks and then nothing from 50 to death. I feel like I'm better off with one shot now and just staying on alert for a minor case of shingles, then getting another shot or two in 10-20 years. But I'll follow the rules.

Since I have no idea when I'll be eligible for the Covid vaccine, I'm keeping my options fully open and not going ahead with the Shingrix until post-covid, as that's my priority.

Shingles isn't as easy to catch as Covid it seems, as it requires direct contact, so I'll take my chances. I don't want anything to restrict my scheduling for the Covid vaccine when I become eligible.

Shingrix shots are not given within 2 weeks of each other. Keep researching
Very strange to me, given what I've read about what's known about how Shingrix loses some effectiveness over time, that two shots are given within two weeks and then nothing from 50 to death. I feel like I'm better off with one shot now and just staying on alert for a minor case of shingles, then getting another shot or two in 10-20 years. But I'll follow the rules.

You dont "catch" shingles from direct contact or otherwise. You develop it. Maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote
Since I have no idea when I'll be eligible for the Covid vaccine, I'm keeping my options fully open and not going ahead with the Shingrix until post-covid, as that's my priority.

Shingles isn't as easy to catch as Covid it seems, as it requires direct contact, so I'll take my chances. I don't want anything to restrict my scheduling for the Covid vaccine when I become eligible.

Shingrix shots are not given within 2 weeks of each other. Keep researching

OK, 2-6 months. Same deal. It seems arbitrary. Someone chose a vaccine schedule for the study based on who knows what and the vaccine helped so the world from then until forever follows that schedule. I think there's lots of room for improvement.

OK, 2-6 months. Same deal. It seems arbitrary. Someone chose a vaccine schedule for the study based on who knows what and the vaccine helped so the world from then until forever follows that schedule. I think there's lots of room for improvement.

... you think it's arbitrary based on what? Look at the studies, that were done by scientists and career-medical-experts, with thousands of participants... yeah they did all that and just went "meh, 2 months, 2 weeks, flip a coin" - no that is not how anything works.

... you think it's arbitrary based on what? Look at the studies, that were done by scientists and career-medical-experts, with thousands of participants... yeah they did all that and just went "meh, 2 months, 2 weeks, flip a coin" - no that is not how anything works.

Yeah but after their expert opinions they still need a major formal study to test the schedule and they can't test every possible time interval. I wonder if they tested more than the one that they initially theorized was good.

You dont "catch" shingles from direct contact or otherwise. You develop it. Maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote

Shingles is a recurrence of the chicken pox virus. You have chicken pox and recover, but the virus remains hidden in peripheral nerve cells. Occasionally it errupts into shingles, usually later in life.

So you are correct, you do not “catch” shingles. However, it should be noted that when you have an active case of shingles, you are shedding chicken pox viruses in great number, and are at high risk of spreading chicken pox to any contacts who have not previously had the virus or the vaccine.

Last edited:
Right, I was thinking about the catching thing because DH never had chicken pox, so he could get that from someone with shingles. And shingles can occur, via reactivation, based on contact with someone with chickenpox right?

Either way, I'm gonna hold off on shingrix till after my covid vaccine.

Right, I was thinking about the catching thing because DH never had chicken pox, so he could get that from someone with shingles. And shingles can occur, via reactivation, based on contact with someone with chickenpox right?

Either way, I'm gonna hold off on shingrix till after my covid vaccine.

The answer to your second question is no...Dr google also tells me that adults can get vaccinated for chickenpox if they test negative for CP.

If YOU got shingles he could get chickenpox. They usually say you need direct contact with the fluid from a shingles spot to get sick. chickenpox in adults can be a real pain maybe DH should just vaccinated post covid.

There was a discussion on this week's TWIV about just that. My recollection is that in theory there should be no problem but since getting a Covid19 vaccine is life-saving postpone the shingles vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom