Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it is still a lot easier given the much smaller size of the country and its population. (66m)

However, driving 500 miles in the US takes about the same amount of time as going 100 miles in the UK, so it almost evens out ;)

However, driving 500 miles in the US takes about the same amount of time as going 100 miles in the UK, so it almost evens out ;)

Yeah, one of my all time favorite quotes:

What's the difference between a European and an American?

The European thinks 200 miles is a long distance, and the American thinks 200 years is a long time. :LOL:

I do like the UK plan’s simplicity of just moving thru the population by age. It avoids many of the subjective and potentially controversial things I have seen in some US discussions.

Each state does have a detailed plan, though they are surely evolving. Here’s what I found for your NC.
https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/NC-COVID-19-Vaccine-Plan-with-Executive-Summary.pdf

It is marked draft but it looks rather extensive.

Yes NC does have a basic plan but they have not spelled out which groups get the distribution next after medical workers and nursing homes. I like the UK's simple plan of doing it by ages--80, then 70, then 65 etc. I understand there is going to be some priority in NC for those with certain medical conditions but no one can find out what proof you need for your medical condition. DH's doctor has sent him a letter about his condition but she said she does not know if that will be adequate.

I just hope the distribution is better than the Shingrix distribution--that was just a free for all.

Yes NC does have a basic plan but they have not spelled out which groups get the distribution next after medical workers and nursing homes.
Similar to something I experienced at MegaCorp. One of the managers used to say “I have a plan - to make a plan”. He said that once to the division head, who immediately replied “in other words, you don’t have a plan. Yet”

Not picking on NC, Florida is no different.

Well, it looks like my state's next shipment of vaccine will be 40% under what was expected. Needless to say none of our state and federal leaders are at fault. Maybe it's the Grinch. Or politics?

There is some concern about having enough vaccine for the 2nd shot in about three weeks. The news media reports only the surface issues, so there is not enough information to get a feel for how serious the problem is. Such problems are to be expected in the early stages. And it gives our political leaders the satisfaction of being able to posture, blame and lecture. Lucky us.

From what I have heard from several sources including Dr Gottlieb, the feds are holding 2nd dose and only shipping out first dose at this time. Then at time for 2nd shot th ey will send another shipment so the provider will be sure to have enough at proper time.

I just hope the distribution is better than the Shingrix distribution--that was just a free for all.

What's that about, others have mentioned Shingrix distribution problems.
I got my first Shingrix a month ago, when was this problem?

For a long time... I was unable to get a shot the entire year before I went on Medicare in 2018 .. it would have been free under my pricey ACA as opposed to the 360 total I paid under Medicare... couldn't find one Shingrix shot for love or money anywhere.

Yes NC does have a basic plan but they have not spelled out which groups get the distribution next after medical workers and nursing homes. I like the UK's simple plan of doing it by ages--80, then 70, then 65 etc. I understand there is going to be some priority in NC for those with certain medical conditions but no one can find out what proof you need for your medical condition. DH's doctor has sent him a letter about his condition but she said she does not know if that will be adequate.

harlee, take a look at the link provided by Popeye (https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/NC-COVID-19-Vaccine-Plan-with-Executive-Summary.pdf). It is a little mind boggling to read. At first, I was "tl;dr" and missed it. It looked like hand-waving.

No. It is not. Dig deep. You have to go to about listed page 58 (about 66 on the PDF). It really gets meaty about about page 63. It has great detail mainly by profession and congregate living. Detail like undertakers and meat packers are near the front of the line. So it goes well beyond health care and long term living situations. Very, very detailed based on closeness of contact, age, disease, etc.

It isn't simple. As to how they'll enforce this, I don't know. The rest was tl;dr. :)

For the first year or so it was almost impossible to get the Shingles shot. I had to get on waiting lists at pharmacies all over town. Then I had to call them every week or so to see if a vaccine shipment got in. There was no rhyme or reason to the shipments. I finally got the first shot but 2 months later when it was time to get the second shot there was none to be had in my town. The pharmacy I got the first shot at did not save the second shot for me. I had to drive 130 miles away to find the second shot in a less populated area. It was a mess.

harlee, take a look at the link provided by Popeye (https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/NC-COVID-19-Vaccine-Plan-with-Executive-Summary.pdf). It is a little mind boggling to read. At first, I was "tl;dr" and missed it. It looked like hand-waving.

No. It is not. Dig deep. You have to go to about listed page 58 (about 66 on the PDF). It really gets meaty about about page 63. It has great detail mainly by profession and congregate living. Detail like undertakers and meat packers are near the front of the line. So it goes well beyond health care and long term living situations. Very, very detailed based on closeness of contact, age, disease, etc.

It isn't simple. As to how they'll enforce this, I don't know. The rest was tl;dr. :)

Joe, thanks for this--that is a lot of information. For many of the categories the chart says "self selected" so I guess people will just show up and claim they have the medical condition, etc and are therefore qualified to get the vaccine. People will have to be on the honor system (what could possibly go wrong with that?). I think it would be much easier to just do it by ages.

I'm good at this COVID isolation thing now. If I have to be at the end of the line for a vaccine, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I'm good at this COVID isolation thing now. If I have to be at the end of the line for a vaccine, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Yup. And really, for most of us, that's going to mean the difference between april and june, at most.n what's a few more weeks..at this point.

Right now, the trains are just leaving the station. There are gonna be a lot of false starts, of glitches, of errors, but...we would not be in that recipient group anyway. By February..ish, when the broader vaccines start, these growing pains will be sorted.

It's very easy to get excited and stressed over reports of vaccines sitting in warehouses, and distributions that are f'd up.. but that's not gonna help me or anyone. It'll get sorted, in time.

Yup. And really, for most of us, that's going to mean the difference between april and june, at most.n what's a few more weeks..at this point.

Right now, the trains are just leaving the station. There are gonna be a lot of false starts, of glitches, of errors, but...we would not be in that recipient group anyway. By February..ish, when the broader vaccines start, these growing pains will be sorted.

It's very easy to get excited and stressed over reports of vaccines sitting in warehouses, and distributions that are f'd up.. but that's not gonna help me or anyone. It'll get sorted, in time.

I’m not as acclimated to this isolation as Gumby says he is. I’m very eager to get the vaccine and carry on with life. But, I’m not gonna sweat and bleed over every story or supposed incident. When it’s my chance to get the vaccine I’ve no doubt it will be apparent. Dragging myself through every gory detail seems unnecessary. Almost like watching a 24/7 news channel constantly and expecting it not diminish your happiness.

The odd thing is, I’m more paranoid and isolation conscious now that a vaccine exists than I ever was before it existed. It’s like there is a now a finish line, and I just wanna cross it safely

The odd thing is, I’m more paranoid and isolation conscious now that a vaccine exists than I ever was before it existed. It’s like there is a now a finish line, and I just wanna cross it safely

Yep!

I hate seeing my even older neighbors take so many risks.

Kaiser sent out an email that tells members that they can get a vaccine from any provider, not just Kaiser Permante, and that they will be providing non-Kaiser members vaccine.

I looked carefully at the graph from the Moderna study. The rate of illness was the same in both groups until the 10th day after the 1st injection, although none of those receiving the vaccine became severely ill.

This. In fact, I've had this very conversation with my college age "I'm fine" (to every question about being safe) child.

Me: "I've made it from March to December without catching this f... thing, I'd like to make it to March or April please".

Child: "I'm careful. Hey, can I take the truck to visit my friend ...?"

Kaiser sent out an email that tells members that they can get a vaccine from any provider, not just Kaiser Permante, and that they will be providing non-Kaiser members vaccine.

I looked carefully at the graph from the Moderna study. The rate of illness was the same in both groups until the 10th day after the 1st injection, although none of those receiving the vaccine became severely ill.

What happened after the 10th day? That's a cliffhanger! Was it, we followed for 10 days, everything is the same, or everything was the same for 10 days and then SHTF...

This. In fact, I've had this very conversation with my college age "I'm fine" (to every question about being safe) child.

Me: "I've made it from March to December without catching this f... thing, I'd like to make it to March or April please".

Child: "I'm careful. Hey, can I take the truck to visit my friend ...?"

I have a son living with us, he works at a bar/restaurant/nick-knack shop.
He wears a mask as far as I know. But, several employees have got or had Covid. Two days after the Christmas party one of the employees tested positive, my son got a negative test two days later. He came home saying it's the only test I ever failed! :blush:

I was contemplating where I would go if he tested positive. I'm 65, good health, but I want to stay that way.

What happened after the 10th day? That's a cliffhanger! Was it, we followed for 10 days, everything is the same, or everything was the same for 10 days and then SHTF...

Moderna chart:

Attachments

• Moderna.JPG
    Moderna.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Same here. I've been sequestered in my basement for months. Only time I'm not isolated is when I go for supplies.

I'm not scheduled to come out of my hole until late July when we're off to Alaska.

I can wait for a vaccine.

I have a son living with us, he works at a bar/restaurant/nick-knack shop.
He wears a mask as far as I know. But, several employees have got or had Covid. Two days after the Christmas party one of the employees tested positive, my son got a negative test two days later. He came home saying it's the only test I ever failed! :blush:

I was contemplating where I would go if he tested positive. I'm 65, good health, but I want to stay that way.

My adult daughter lives with us. She teaches online with zoom. She went to a dental appointment 2 weeks ago. That was the last human contact outside the household for her.

Four days later she developed a sore throat. We immediately went into a lock down mode for her, and scheduled COVID test for all 3 of us in the household. The appointments were 3 days away, and the results came back 2 days later. All of us were negative. She simply had a common cold. Did she get the cold virus from the dentist office?

It has been more than 14 days now. Her sore throat went away. Our life is back to normal in the house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom