Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
gayl, Why do you prefer J&J over Pfizer/Moderna? Doesn't the P/M vaccines have higher efficiency than J&J? I was so glad to get my first vaccine I just took whatever was officered which in my case happened to be Moderna
It was also tested against the South African variant whereas the others weren't. Also 88% effective against hospitalization, 100% against death, 82% efficacy in US. Moderna & Pfizer are also less effective against new variants, we just don't know how effective. We have been told with J&J.

65+ and no health issues

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...ohnson-coronavirus-vaccine-results/index.html

Last edited:
As a former teacher of math I have to look at the numbers. In the state of Washington 90% of the people who die from Covid are 65+. I can assure you that 65+ people in my state are nowhere near 90% of the population.

The issue comes when you add in the pre-existing condition folks. We have that here in Pennsylvania. I read something estimating we will need about 8 million vaccines to cover this new group 1A. The population is only 12.8 million. You’re getting close to 2 out of 3 people.

It was also tested against the South African variant whereas the others weren't. Also 100% effective against hospitalization. I'm 65+ and no health issues
Thank you for saving me some research! A few of us (<65, not in a high-risk category) were debating whether it would be better to take the J&J if it becomes available to us before the ones already approved, and for me, it boils down to whether the J&J vaccine is as effective against severe cases as the others. Of course, I will also ask my doctor if one can get the J&J soon, and then maybe get the Moderna vaccine next year, just to be safe, and whether that would be advisable or not.

Thank you for saving me some research! A few of us (<65, not in a high-risk category) were debating whether it would be better to take the J&J if it becomes available to us before the ones already approved, and for me, it boils down to whether the J&J vaccine is as effective against severe cases as the others. Of course, I will also ask my doctor if one can get the J&J soon, and then maybe get the Moderna vaccine next year, just to be safe, and whether that would be advisable or not.

I wonder how long before we get the first story of a guy who gets like 6 different vaccines. You know that’s coming!

West Virginia appears to be doing an amazing job of getting vaccinations into arms. I don't live there, I live in NC, but I really admire the attitude of Governor Justice in this interview: "This isn't rocket science!"

https://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/vaccine-rollout-rocket-science-west-virginia-gov-jim-75596521

Watch until the end to hear his common sense advice for other states. :cool:

Thanks for posting, interesting that WV used small local pharmacies for the vaccines--they must mainly be giving the Moderna vaccine that does not require special refrigeration. Of course, the whole state of WV only has 1.7 million residents--the logistics would be much easier for them than a state with a much higher population. NC has decided to go the opposite route with large mega vaccine events (30,000 vaccinations at a time) and the NC numbers for vaccinations are improving.

Thanks for posting, interesting that WV used small local pharmacies for the vaccines--they must mainly be giving the Moderna vaccine that does not require special refrigeration. Of course, the whole state of WV only has 1.7 million residents--the logistics would be much easier for them than a state with a much higher population. NC has decided to go the opposite route with large mega vaccine events (30,000 vaccinations at a time) and the NC numbers for vaccinations are improving.

It seems like a case of a captain of a small dinghy beating his chest about filling up his small craft much sooner than large ocean liners.

It seems like a case of a captain of a small dinghy beating his chest about filling up his small craft much sooner than large ocean liners.
Percentages are percentages. Presumably, a higher population state also has more resources to get shots in arms.

Well the states have been complaining of not having resources.

There's a story that there was lobbying in Congress to deny additional funding for vaccines.

But we're talking also about sheer totals. THat's the big lift, just vaccinating millions of people in some of the larger states.

WV has a low density, and lots of small town and rural population with older residents. Not at all easy to vaccinate. I would guess states with lots of branches of the large national pharmacy chains should be much easier.

Percentages are percentages. Presumably, a higher population state also has more resources to get shots in arms.

WV has a low density, and lots of small town and rural population with older residents. Not at all easy to vaccinate. I would guess states with lots of branches of the large national pharmacy chains should be much easier.

Exactly.

Interesting that some are still not willing to give credit where credit is due to WV. The logistics are not easy there, but they are getting it done. One main reason is that they started their logistical planning on 3/13/20, before their first case in the state, according to the interview. It's amazing what can result from a little planning - and with the help of the National Guard.

Maybe. Maybe not. I can't help but notice that the local medical centers are teaming up with Big Corporate outfits to provide mass vaccination clinics. That's how I finally got my 1st shot today. And I have the 2nd shot scheduled. Thank you Amazon and VM medical center. It was very well run, so a big thank you to the volunteers who kept it working like a well oiled machine.

If I waited for the local Big Name national pharmacies in my area, maybe a shot would be available later this Spring? The supermarket pharmacies are starting to step up to the plate. They seem to be more customer focused for some reason. The big pharmacy chains have been a big disappointment in my area, IMHO.

Exactly.

Interesting that some are still not willing to give credit where credit is due to WV. The logistics are not easy there, but they are getting it done. One main reason is that they started their logistical planning on 3/13/20, before their first case in the state, according to the interview. It's amazing what can result from a little planning - and with the help of the National Guard.

I heard an interview with the governor of WV. He stated that using the small local pharmacies in their towns was key to their success. They know their customers, know about the little old folks with no computer skills, know who has the most risky profiles, etc. And, of course, the National Guard has the manpower, equipment, and organizational skills to get things done. Good for WV.

Most of the states which distributed to the highest percentage of their populations are all low-population states.

So they're either much better at logistics or the small population helps. Or both.

Most of the states which distributed to the highest percentage of their populations are all low-population states.

So they're either much better at logistics or the small population helps. Or both.

Another possibility is the most vaccinated have a singleminded approach to vaccine distribution and administration. I don't know enough detail to draw that conclusion but it would be my bet.

Maybe. Maybe not. I can't help but notice that the local medical centers are teaming up with Big Corporate outfits to provide mass vaccination clinics. That's how I finally got my 1st shot today. And I have the 2nd shot scheduled. Thank you Amazon and VM medical center. It was very well run, so a big thank you to the volunteers who kept it working like a well oiled machine.

If I waited for the local Big Name national pharmacies in my area, maybe a shot would be available later this Spring? The supermarket pharmacies are starting to step up to the plate. They seem to be more customer focused for some reason. The big pharmacy chains have been a big disappointment in my area, IMHO.

Curious about your shout out to Amazon. I know Bezos announced a while back he would support the effort, but I have not seen anything about what they have actually done. Then again, I don't watch a lot of news.

Our neighbors to the North may also be having issues with vaccine distribution.

According to the Vancouver Sun:

B.C. has fewer than 20,000 doses of vaccine on-hand, with no deliveries for at least the next 10 days.

and this:

A total of 38 residents at long-term care homes in B.C. died in the week ending Thursday, Jan. 27, according to information that is now being published on a weekly basis by the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

Supposedly they are now done vaccinating those in long-term care, but I am not sure if that means both shots. And there are exceptions for those already with Covid, have other health issues and just don't want the shot.

I wish we could settle on one term such as 'fully vaccinated' for people who don't need another shot.

I heard an interview with the governor of WV. He stated that using the small local pharmacies in their towns was key to their success. They know their customers, know about the little old folks with no computer skills, know who has the most risky profiles, etc. And, of course, the National Guard has the manpower, equipment, and organizational skills to get things done. Good for WV.

Yup. He said "we took the vaccine to the people, instead of bringing people to the vaccine." :)

I got my Pfizer microchip today at a Safeway pharmacy. I was in and out in about 15 minutes, but this sure ain't no way to vaccinate 330 million people. The good news is that the confirmation email also contained a link to schedule the second dose, so no scrambling to accomplish that.

That said, I'm feeling pretty darn good about getting it. DW is only 64 1/2 thus relegated to a much longer line. :(

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/11/9548...-all-alaska-fires-up-covid-19-vaccine-rollout

Agree with MichaelB. And advanced planning, like the organization I work for. See the NPR link above regarding areas of the Alaskan Bush where distribution to tiny villages include small planes and snow machines etc. A small population doesn’t always make distribution easier!

Another possibility is the most vaccinated have a singleminded approach to vaccine distribution and administration. I don't know enough detail to draw that conclusion but it would be my bet.

Curious about your shout out to Amazon. I know Bezos announced a while back he would support the effort, but I have not seen anything about what they have actually done. Then again, I don't watch a lot of news.

In Seattle, Amazon essentially provided a huge amount of office space these past weekends along with a lot of free parking, for mass vaccination clinics. From what I experienced, this could not have been done nearly as well using the gym and auditorium at the local public schools. Social distancing alone required huge amounts of space.

Lots of people and cars were going in and out. They also provided some employees to help out with traffic, maintenance, etc. The tech needed to do this was not something I have seen at a doctor's office or even the local hospitals. I have to assume Amazon helped with some of this. It worked very, very smoothly. It's obvious this had to be well coordinated with and/or by Amazon. (Don't get me started on some of the other various vaccine signup websites I have seen in the past few weeks. :mad:) Of course, it's the community volunteers who are the BIG heroes. It always comes down to the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom