Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hunkered down in the Austin area for a few months, and the chaos here is mind-boggling. The Public Health authority has a registration system that is total chaos -- and the screening questions go on for 10 pages online!

The local news reported today that roughly half of the residents of the Austin SMSA fall in categories 1A and 1B -- so more than 500,000 people are currently "eligible" for vaccinations. At the current rate, the report noted, it will take 10 months to get through 1A and 1B, if everyone wants a jab.

I've been following Austin's NextDoor community. Folks are alerting when appointments open up at the mega-sites (and they are gone within minutes). A spreadsheet is circulating which lists all the vaccine hubs within a 2-hour drive with instructions on how to get on the waitlists. Some folks are on more than a dozen lists scattered around the state.

Fancy a 800 mile r/t roadtrip? Twice? Vaccine appointments are available in Pecos, far west Texas....

One person posted yesterday that she had monitored local sites starting at 6:00am, and after refreshing 97 times (every five minutes) snagged an appointment in March for her 80yo DF.

Other people, entrepreneurial, will monitor vaccine sites and book your appointment, for a price.

This is almost beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
I agree although I am pleased that the extra vaccines did not go to waste. It seems that medical facilities, knowing they can never estimate how many employees will decline, should have a standby list. It may have been understandable in December but not now.

In my healthcare facility, they were contacting all employees before we ever got the vaccine to see who wanted the vaccine and who declined. Once the vaccine arrived, I just had to call an extension to set a time to go get it.

DW and I were talking about the whole Covid/vaccination thing last night. Considering that the virus has mutated several times already, we're pondering whether we'll be looking forward to a seasonal Covid shot, just like the flu.

Actually, quite a few months back, some experts were saying they didn't know how long the immunity developed from the vaccine would last and that it may require a yearly booster. And that was when most of the comments regarding mutations were about how slowly coronaviruses mutate. The mutations we are seeing now just make it that much more likely for the need for boosters sooner rather than later until we get this thing under control, and it's a global problem, and we have a long way to go.

DW goes for her first dose on Friday. I had mine on Monday, and I will delay my 2nd shot so we can both go at the same time. The site is 30 miles away, but that is not a big deal out here in the boonies.

becca said:
I'm so depressed. Was able to get first dose of vaccine on 1/21 but can't seem to book an appointment for the 2nd dose which is due on 2/11. I now I'm wondering if I even want it. The news is so negative, CNN says not to travel, eat in restaurants, etc even if you have had both doses and sounds like the vaccine is not even going to be effective against all the various variants. This is never going to end.

Never get medical advice from CNN or any of the big media outlets. They are notoriously unreliable, IMO. You can bet that all their executives and news people are getting their vaccine shots and ignoring their own negative spin in their reports.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Heartwarming and also a great example of purpose and determination.

True! About 75% determination and 25% desperation :). Because the same factors that make the vaccine hard to distribute also make receiving health care equally as difficult.

Don't the healthcare workers have to make an appointment for the vaccine like everyone else? They do in my county, if they don't want it and aren't making an appointment it shouldn't result in unused vaccines. I'm sure there could be some last minute appointment no shows, most places have a standby list to deal with that.

My brother called it a medical center but it was actually a nursing/pharmacy college or health science unit and the 300 Moderna vaccines were their first shipment of vaccines intended for staff and students in a clinical environment but then extended to 1A and 1B "community members" at the last minute. There are several campuses across west Texas and each seems to be a little different. For example, one campus just had dates and times you could show up for your second dose such as Feb 8 8am to 1 pm - no actual appointment time. Dates were over several days. How do they know how much of the vaccine to thaw out without having leftovers?

I don't live in Texas but in my state, hospitals administered vaccines to their healthcare staff and many staff members declined resulting in extra doses that were given out to others - usually teachers, police department, etc. but no actual standby list. This was early on.

Last edited:
^ This.

Plus I've seen a number of reports saying even if the vaccines prove to be less effective against the variants, they will almost certainly reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill should you contract Covid.

Please keep trying to get that second dose.
The percentage number they publicized from the trials (95%, etc) was the protection an unvaccinated person was likely to get from seeing symptoms. Any symptoms. But the protection against bad symptoms is higher. And protection from a dirt-nap is much higher. None of the variants are "escapes", so while the effectiveness % for symptoms against the emerging variants is lower, it's not the end point I'm most concerned about. I can feel bad for a few days and still celebrate having been vaccinated, because the alternative may have been dire, indeed.

I'm up at 11:40 CST. I wonder when the symptoms start and how bad they are. I'd like to go buy some hardware / supplies immediately after and then do some woodworking this afternoon.

Slight shoulder pain at shot site started yesterday afternoon. Still some this morning but this is a minor annoyance that doesn't interfere with any activity. if your response is similar you'll be able to shop and work all you want.

Earlier Dr. Gottlieb was optimistic we'd have good rollout by April. It seemed to make sense to me.

I'm not so sure anymore. I thought J & J was going to hit us with a large tranche early on, due to the risk absorption of "warp speed." But now it appears that their distribution commitment will be more back loaded to the end of the time, which is June.(1)

Meanwhile, AstraZeneca's approval in the US is lagging. So, who knows when? And then it appears (to this Yank) that France has rolled back a few centuries and wants to skirmish with England by pooh-poohing the AZ vaccine.(2)

So, yeah, I feel for all you who are in the approved groups, trying to scramble for a limited resource. Just keep in mind, this problem is much bigger than now. It looks like this is going to be a rocky-rollout until Fall, at which time there will be a scramble for updated vaccines for the new variants. So, becca, add me as a friend to your depressed list. I'm right there with you.

(1) https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma...-comfortable-meeting-its-delivery-commitments

(2) https://www.bbc.com/news/55919245

The percentage number they publicized from the trials (95%, etc) was the protection an unvaccinated person was likely to get from seeing symptoms. Any symptoms. But the protection against bad symptoms is higher. And protection from a dirt-nap is much higher. None of the variants are "escapes", so while the effectiveness % for symptoms against the emerging variants is lower, it's not the end point I'm most concerned about. I can feel bad for a few days and still celebrate having been vaccinated, because the alternative may have been dire, indeed.

This is really no different from the older shingle vaccine. IIRC, it was about 60% effective in preventing the disease, but if you did get shingles, it kept the pain and suffering at a far more manageable level. Who can argue with that?

Never let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

I'm not so sure anymore. I thought J & J was going to hit us with a large tranche early on, due to the risk absorption of "warp speed." But now it appears that their distribution commitment will be more back loaded to the end of the time, which is June.(1)
Seems pessimistic in light of this: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/21/jj-...hterm=johnson & johnson?__source=twitter|main
“I do know that J&J is making a very large supply, going all out with its production, both here in the U.S. and elsewhere around the world, with the goal of having perhaps enough vaccines for 100 million Americans by spring, by this April or so,” said J&J board member Dr. Mark McClellan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article in yesterday's WSJ on why Europe is having worse vaccine availability issues than the USA and the UK. They did get a better deal on the vaccine. Apparently, they pay significantly less per dose than the US and the UK. However, all the negotiating came at a price. They signed contracts months after the US and UK did. They are farther back in line. One fellow estimates that the economic loss caused by the extra time in lockdown will be about 20x the savings.

Now they are raising 'fairness' issues. Why should those who chose to delay and get a cheaper price have to wait behind others who acted more quickly and offered additional money to build out the manufacturing ability for the vaccine? Not fair!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-europe-tripped-in-covid-19-vaccine-race-11612293218?page=1

Oh, they hired an expert from Operation Warp Speed to see how they can improve things.

While other governments were wooing vaccine makers with subsidies and immunity from liability in case of side effects, the EU focused on pushing prices down and slowing negotiations, which resulted in late orders. It also spread its purchases widely to reduce risk, signing deals with companies that are still months away from approved shots. And it was slow to authorize the vaccines it had purchased.
The U.S.’s Operation Warp Speed, led by a four-star general and a pharmaceutical executive, had a budget of $18 billion and started paying out subsidies in March, including to European companies. The U.S. signed its purchasing contracts between May and July. The EU, by contrast, signed its main contracts between late August and November.
“We reject the logic of first-come, first-served,” Stella Kyriakides, the EU health commissioner, told journalists last week. “That may work at the neighborhood butcher’s, but not in contracts.”
On Nov. 17, the EU bought twice as many doses from CureVac AG , a German company that was also pursuing a sophisticated messenger RNA vaccine. It had no study showing the efficacy of its product and no manufacturing partner.
The U.K., U.S. and EU authorized the BioNTech-Pfizer product in December. Curevac, which has since formed a partnership with Bayer AG , might seek approval in May at the earliest, according to a German government assessment seen by The Wall Street Journal.

Seems pessimistic in light of this: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/21/jj-plans-to-have-100-million-vaccines-for-americans-by-spring-board-member-says.html?&qsearchterm=johnson%20&%20johnson?__source=twitter|main

I hope that's correct! We are getting conflicting news from different sources from insiders. Some are saying 100M right away, others are saying 100M by June.

Alex Gorsky, the J&J CEO, is only committing to the June 100M date. He's also talked about bring manufacturing on-line in the first quarter. Perhaps this is where some are reading between the lines on a back loaded distribution.

I think it is time to just see what they officially announce next. I hope the board member heard right and it is all out by April. That would be fantastic.

Interesting article in yesterday's WSJ on why Europe is having worse vaccine availability issues than the USA and the UK. They did get a better deal on the vaccine. Apparently, they pay significantly less per dose than the US and the UK. However, all the negotiating came at a price. They signed contracts months after the US and UK did. They are farther back in line. One fellow estimates that the economic loss caused by the extra time in lockdown will be about 20x the savings.

Now they are raising 'fairness' issues. Why should those who chose to delay and get a cheaper price have to wait behind others who acted more quickly and offered additional money to build out the manufacturing ability for the vaccine? Not fair!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-europe-tripped-in-covid-19-vaccine-race-11612293218?page=1

Oh, they hired an expert from Operation Warp Speed to see how they can improve things.

This reminds me of discussions with the shop folks back in the day. They’d say there’s cheap, fast, and good quality but you only get to pick two out of the three! They chose cheap and good quality but now are wondering why it’s not fast.

It was a post on this board that gave me the idea to start stalking our county health board Facebook page. That is where all the good info is! I had been watching the news and on-line sources with no luck. DH got his first shot this morning and Mom is signed up for both of hers. I am way back in line, but still so excited.

Actually, quite a few months back, some experts were saying they didn't know how long the immunity developed from the vaccine would last and that it may require a yearly booster. And that was when most of the comments regarding mutations were about how slowly coronaviruses mutate. The mutations we are seeing now just make it that much more likely for the need for boosters sooner rather than later until we get this thing under control, and it's a global problem, and we have a long way to go.

Yessir

It was a post on this board that gave me the idea to start stalking our county health board Facebook page. That is where all the good info is! I had been watching the news and on-line sources with no luck. DH got his first shot this morning and Mom is signed up for both of hers. I am way back in line, but still so excited.

That was my post about stalking County Health Department Facebook pages to find vaccinations. That is how I found my vaccination, my husband's vaccination, mother's vaccination, my sister's vaccination and 10 plus of my friend's vaccinations. I don't know what these county health department's use Facebook exclusively but they do. Sometimes there will be nothing about a vaccination event on the health department's website but it will be on their Facebook page. Personally I don't like Facebook and rarely use it except now I am on it everyday hunting down vaccinations for people.

That was my post about stalking County Health Department Facebook pages to find vaccinations. That is how I found my vaccination, my husband's vaccination, mother's vaccination, my sister's vaccination and 10 plus of my friend's vaccinations. I don't know what these county health department's use Facebook exclusively but they do. Sometimes there will be nothing about a vaccination event on the health department's website but it will be on their Facebook page. Personally I don't like Facebook and rarely use it except now I am on it everyday hunting down vaccinations for people.

It is probably easier/cheaper than hiring some IT firm to develop a website, if county not already have one.

I'm a few days late in posting this (due to being crazy busy with teaching), but here I am.

I was able to get my first shot on Jan 30th, second one scheduled for Feb 20. I did have to travel about 3 hours from home in the upstate NY winter, but felt it was worth it. No appointments were available closer to home, at least not until April.

I am under 65, but qualify in NYS 1b category. The reason why is a bit of Karma. I am an educator (college) but have been teaching remote, so under the rules I would not have qualified. However, in October I was asked if I would be willing to teach a class in a high school and I volunteered because if I hadn't, the course would not have run. When I did so, I figured it would end up going remote -- but it hasn't. So because I am teaching in person, I qualified even though I am a couple years shy on the age only qualification.

There have been tons of issues here in NY state regarding distribution, cancelled appointments, people waiting in lines in tight quarters (not good during a pandemic), and so on. However, I experienced the opposite with my appointment. It was in a former Air Force base (SAC) in Plattsburgh NY. They utilized a DRIVE THROUGH system and had guard members along with medical staff. The setup was you drove up to a guard gate, where the guard examined your ID (and looked at your papers where you claimed qualified), they also examined my college ID. We then proceeded to a huge hanger area with 5-6 lanes where they lined up cars outside. While waiting, we were given additional paperwork to fill out (insurance info, contacts, etc). They then opened up the doors and let vehicles in. Inside, there was room in each lane for maybe 8-10 vehicles, and once inside everyone was lined up at numbered stations and instructed to turn off the engines. Then nurses, etc at each station came to the vehicle, asked some questions about allergies etc (that might have been indicated on the forms). They did the shot right in the vehicle, all I had to do was open the door. After giving the shot, they instructed you to exit and go to an assigned lane outside to wait for the 15 minutes (30 if there were additional medical concerns) and to keep the doors unlocked and to turn on emergency flashers if there were any issues. They had an ambulance right there (outside) with medical crew in case of issues. After the time was up, you were free to exit the area. It was really well done, and I was quite impressed with the setup and organization.

SIL's mother was just admitted to skilled nursing. No vaccination. Hospital didn't have any vaccine to administer. I am hoping that the pharmacy that administered the first dose to residents will give her the first dose when they come back to administer a booster.

I got up before 6am to get on a Publix Market Covid shot website. It refreshes every 60 seconds to let you know if room becomes available for you to book an appointment. I've been watching for 1 Hour and 10 minutes, so far 179 of the 500 for my county have been given out.

Edit: It seems odd that Brevard county can book 4,360 Appointments, in the same amount of time it takes Bay county to book 294 appointments.
I'm still waiting, it's been 1 HR 40 Minutes, I'm hoping to get one of the 171 vaccines left.

Second Edit: 1 HR 52 minutes and all 500 vaccines have been booked. This is my 6th strike out between the County and Publix. Arrgh!

Last edited:

Thank you! It does not make a lot of sense and Iowa is not doing well at all, but that is the only way I found to do it. We have a very scattered approach here with at least five different websites to look at to score a shot.

But again, thanks for the tip!

I got up before 6am to get on a Publix Market Covid shot website. It refreshes every 60 seconds to let you know if room becomes available for you to book an appointment. I've been watching for 1 Hour and 10 minutes, so far 179 of the 500 for my county have been given out.

Edit: It seems odd that Brevard county can book 4,360 Appointments, in the same amount of time it takes Bay county to book 294 appointments.
I'm still waiting, it's been 1 HR 40 Minutes, I'm hoping to get one of the 171 vaccines left.

Second Edit: 1 HR 52 minutes and all 500 vaccines have been booked. This is my 6th strike out between the County and Publix. Arrgh!

I feel your pain, literally. The system Publix uses is not designed for this. It can’t deal with the volume and the process it uses is badly flawed. The modifications they implemented over the past week affect the appearance but not the process itself, so this will not change until the volume falls substantially.

I’ve gotten past the waiting room and into the appointment scheduling part 3 times but was still unable to secure an appointment.

One thing I have noticed, which may be just a coincidence. Three times now I’ve used multiple computers with different IP addresses. Each time the same computer won access to the scheduling system. A month ago I opened an “account” with Publix, and one computer was logged into that Publix account before accessing their COVID system. All three times I made it into the appointment system was with that computer. Like I said, probably just a coincidence.

One thing I have noticed, which may be just a coincidence. Three times now I’ve used multiple computers with different IP addresses. Each time the same computer won access to the scheduling system. A month ago I opened an “account” with Publix, and one computer was logged into that Publix account before accessing their COVID system. All three times I made it into the appointment system was with that computer. Like I said, probably just a coincidence.
You could clear your cookies and see if that computer doesn't win anymore.

But... better not, because that computer at least gets farther than the others, and it might be cookies. Best to try to not prove a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom