Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping to get the 2nd dose soon. Alas, the big freeze to the East and South is delaying delivery of vaccines to my area, so that may put the vaccination mega-site on ice for a week or so.

Edit: I heard on the local news that the delayed shipments are Moderna vaccine. I wonder if others have heard information regarding delayed vaccine shipments and which vaccine is involved.

It's both Pfizer and Moderna.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...diego-this-time-due-to-snowy-weather/2524250/

At a weekly news briefing focused on COVID-19 updates, San Diego County Supervisor Nathan Fletcher said the county had received word that several shipments of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine scheduled to arrive this week in San Diego County will not be arriving due to inclement weather impacting the country.
Moderna's primary manufacturing facility is in Michigan, while Pfizer’s is in Massachusetts, county officials said.

Fletcher said routes from those facilities to San Diego County have been impacted by the severe winter weather.

We abstained from all drugs and alcohol two days before and two days after.

This is essentially what I'm planning to do, as well. Definitely will be avoiding any sort of medication that affects the immune system in any way. So, no NSAIDs or Tylenol for me, either right before or right after the shots. Apparently, some health officials are saying it's OK to take pain relief meds after getting the shots (not before), but others are saying it's best to avoid them altogether in order to get the best possible immune response. So I think I'll just suffer through any short-term pain or fever.

I'm not aware of any official recommendations to avoid alcohol before or after getting vaccinated, but it does seem plausible that alcohol could suppress the immune system to a small degree. A few days away from wine is a very small price to pay, even for only a potentially minor improvement in immune response.

Got an email from the county health dept to register for my 2nd dose. Did so and I’m going in on 3/3. 2 weeks before jury duty starts. Perfect timing to get a vaccine before being sequestered in an enclosed room with a bunch of people.

Why can't they do it by Zoom or similar app ?
Often they just televise in the offender to be decided if bail or trial is needed, so it seems a small step to zoom.

Are they going to insist on covid tests of negative before you and the others go in ?

The delays have impacted most states...or are at least a commonly cited reason for current delays.

Got my first (Pfizer) jab yesterday; minimal side effects (lack of appetite) and, barely even felt the jab. Have appointment for second jab in 3 wks. My medical provider had set up in the warehouse district of SF, in a neighborhood that locals 'lovingly' call the Dog Patch.

My search efforts through the five sources available to me yielded no appointments for ~2 wks then, evening before last, BOOM - lots of appointments available through one provider. They must have received a slug of vaccine.

I've worked a few volunteer shifts at one of the local Oregon Health Sciences University mass vaccinations sites; they're using Red Cross volunteers to help run the site along with hospital volunteers. It seems pretty well organized, set up in the Portland airport economy parking lot. All drive-through under tents, so you never leave your car. There is a registration station where they check appointments and schedule the second shot, another station where the shots are administered, and then a monitored area where they keep you until your waiting time expires. The shot time and waiting period are written on your windshield, and the waiting area has RNs walking the aisles of waiting cars.

They're set up to handle three shifts and 7,500 to 10,000 vaccinations per day once they have adequate vaccine supply.

Our job is mostly traffic control, so there is minimal contact with anyone and we're all issued masks and face shields. It's been a little cold and rainy out there some days, but it still feels good to be contributing a little to the effort.

Last edited:
First shots for us scheduled for Saturday :dance:.

DW's persistence paid off.

Virtually all State sponsored vaccination plans were called off this week, due to the snow, EXCEPT the one 15 miles from us. Registration opened this morning, but only to people who had pre-registered on the State site AND received a notification with an event code. We had pre-registered, but did not get an event code.

So, DW does it the old fashioned way. She gets on the phone, waits on hold for about 15 minutes, then asks how we go about getting an event code, thinking we can be better prepared for the next time. She gets the expected answer that the codes are assigned and emailed according to the pre-registration database, BUT, they just got notified that there are additional slots available for the Saturday event, do we want one?

H3LL yes!

So we are scheduled for 10:30 Saturday morning for the Pfizer vaccine.

That's great news CardsFan!

My whole family was vaccinated on Monday at a local center that had 100 leftover vaccines. When the nurse outlined possible side effects, I kept smiling (under my mask) and saying, yes, yes, yes, sign me up!

That's great news CardsFan!

My whole family was vaccinated on Monday at a local center that had 100 leftover vaccines. When the nurse outlined possible side effects, I kept smiling (under my mask) and saying, yes, yes, yes, sign me up!

How did you find out about the leftovers? Right place at the right time, or know someone. I've been able to get vaccine appointments for some of my older friends, but I figure to get one for myself before 2022 I'll have to play all the angles.

How did you find out about the leftovers? Right place at the right time, or know someone. I've been able to get vaccine appointments for some of my older friends, but I figure to get one for myself before 2022 I'll have to play all the angles.

Right place, right time. My daughter's second vaccine (she's in a PT program) was rescheduled due to vaccine delivery issues. She felt awkward getting a second vaccine when there are older people who haven't gotten a first one. I told her it didn't make sense to waste the benefit of a first vaccine if she didn't get the second. I asked my husband to go with her and to tell her he wanted to try for a leftover. He got there and they were grabbing bodies since they had so many leftovers. He called me and I grabbed my son and his girlfriend thinking we probably wouldn't make it in time but we did.

There is a center about 15 minutes from our house and they typically have about 5 leftovers every evening. They typically give those out based on age. We were very, very lucky that day. Here in San Diego there are quite a few places to choose from. I think there's a better possibility at the smaller centers here as the bigger centers gather more vaccine hunters. Since they typically go by age, you just need to arrive around closing time.

I've given up on getting the vaccine for now. I have got in the computer lottery 7 times between the county and the local pharmacy and failed to get a ticket. I'm going to get my second Shingles vaccine and then wait at least 14 days before trying for the Covid vaccine again.

Also the lottery starts at 6am on the days that is held. To early, but at least they changed it from 5am.

The alert system is silly, I have got 42 texts from the alert system, 5 of those were telling of the actual lottery, the rest were mostly here's what we have done so far. I wish I could opt out of everything except, here's your chance to sign into the lottery. Frustrating!

That's a PITA, but...
"You gotta be in it to win it!"

When we got our first Pfizer shot last month, the clinic scheduled us for the second shot 17 days later instead of 21. When asked, they said that 17 was acceptable (4 day window) and they didn't want us to be late.

Even then, I was hearing that a few days late wasn't a problem, but the CDC/Pfizer specifically said not to deliberately schedule in the 4 day early window. So I drove to the clinic the next day (phones were jammed) and got us rescheduled for day 20. Told a couple of friends about what I'd done but they didn't bother.

CNN had a story today that the Pfizer CEO says they actually had people in their study who got the second dose 19-42 later and he's fine with that, but outside of that "it's serious."

Since our 17 day friends have already had their second dose, I guess there's no point in mentioning it to them...

Strange how some people have side effects to the vaccine others none--DH and I had 2nd shots of Moderna a week ago and other than sore arm no side effects whatever.
Consider yourselves lucky! The CDC card that the RN gave me to prove I have had both Moderna shots I will treat it like gold. It should as allow me to travel when safe to do to other places as I would show the card to immigration authorities. I will continue to mask up properly and social distance.

Consider yourselves lucky! The CDC card that the RN gave me to prove I have had both Moderna shots I will treat it like gold. It should as allow me to travel when safe to do to other places as I would show the card to immigration authorities. I will continue to mask up properly and social distance.

Yes, I have that card too. I made pictures of the card with my phone and downloaded them into my computer for safe keeping and made hard copies and put in my safe. Some day we may need that vaccination "passport" to be able to do many things.

Got an email from the county health dept to register for my 2nd dose. Did so and I’m going in on 3/3. 2 weeks before jury duty starts. Perfect timing to get a vaccine before being sequestered in an enclosed room with a bunch of people.

I got picked for grand jury duty the first week of January in Massachusetts. Our obligation is for 3 months and we meet 3 days a week. (We wrap up in April 1st.) We're usually in session for about 6 hours a day. There are 23 grand jurors and we hear a lot of different cases. There are also prosecutors, court reporters, and witnesses in the room. Based on conversations with fellow jurors, nobody has received the vaccine yet. That said, I believe the state has done a nice job of protecting us. I have zero concerns.

I'm honored to serve and applaud the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for continuing the wheels of justice. I know many of you are quite fearful of Covid, but life is full of risks. It's all about risk assessment. I'd rather face a small risk of Covid than see these defendants roam our streets. It is truly appalling the crimes they commit on innocent people.

Ronstar, I am surprised about the jury duty. I bet everyone will be separated by plexiglass. Still good you have the vaccine.

The court provided a sheet showing their safety measures. Plexiglass wasn't mentioned. here's what they're doing:

"Courtrooms have been sterilized, and frequently touched surfaces will be re-sterilized throughout the day.

Hand sanitizer is located throughout the courthouse.

The courtroom is laid out to maximize social distancing.

It is necessary that you wear masks while in the courthouse. However, jurors and lawyers may remove their masks when speaking."

This last one bothers me. If people are allowed to speak without masks, they really aren't taking any precautions.

Why can't they do it by Zoom or similar app ?
Often they just televise in the offender to be decided if bail or trial is needed, so it seems a small step to zoom.

Are they going to insist on covid tests of negative before you and the others go in ?

Don't think that our county is tech savvy enough for Zoom. And no mention of negative covid tests needed to enter the room.

I got picked for grand jury duty the first week of January in Massachusetts. Our obligation is for 3 months and we meet 3 days a week. (We wrap up in April 1st.) We're usually in session for about 6 hours a day. There are 23 grand jurors and we hear a lot of different cases. There are also prosecutors, court reporters, and witnesses in the room. Based on conversations with fellow jurors, nobody has received the vaccine yet. That said, I believe the state has done a nice job of protecting us. I have zero concerns.

I'm honored to serve and applaud the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for continuing the wheels of justice. I know many of you are quite fearful of Covid, but life is full of risks. It's all about risk assessment. I'd rather face a small risk of Covid than see these defendants roam our streets. It is truly appalling the crimes they commit on innocent people.

Good that your state is protecting you - 23 grand jurors, lawyers, court reporters, witnesses over that long of a time period sounds like a breeding ground for Covid.

Yes, I have that card too. I made pictures of the card with my phone and downloaded them into my computer for safe keeping and made hard copies and put in my safe. Some day we may need that vaccination "passport" to be able to do many things.

Please everyone that has been vaccinated do this. Keep those pics in easy access on your phone and save a copy wherever. When you get your first jab and get a card with the appointment for a 2nd, do it too. If you don't have a phone with a camera do it the old way.

Please everyone that has been vaccinated do this. Keep those pics in easy access on your phone and save a copy wherever. When you get your first jab and get a card with the appointment for a 2nd, do it too. If you don't have a phone with a camera do it the old way.
+1
I have done the same thing. The originals were placed with our passports, pictures of both sides on our phones, saved pictures in a file on our emails, hard copies in a file cabinet and in my wallet.

Cheers!

I got picked for grand jury duty the first week of January in Massachusetts. Our obligation is for 3 months and we meet 3 days a week. (We wrap up in April 1st.) We're usually in session for about 6 hours a day. There are 23 grand jurors and we hear a lot of different cases. There are also prosecutors, court reporters, and witnesses in the room. Based on conversations with fellow jurors, nobody has received the vaccine yet...
Some protection could be arranged if the jurors were required to wear a mask in seats with distancing in a well ventilated room with a big screen TV transmitting the proceedings in the courtroom. This should not be a technical problem or a major expense for any court. No sense in "poking the bear" and run the risk of contracting the virus.

Cheers!

My biggest concern regarding a dental visit is aerosols left in the room from other patients, not the dental staff or fomites on surfaces. The latter can be easily controlled via proper PPE and surface cleaning procedures.

However, aerosolized COVID can last in the air for several hours if there is not good air ventilation. Several dental procedures are known to cause aerosols.

Also, I would ideally choose the first patient appointment of the day (preferably on a Monday morning) to reduce the risk of aerosols still being present in the air from a prior patient.

I have the exact same concern and for that reason will only go to the Dentist (which I've had to do twice during COVID due to thinking I had bad cavities developing) first thing in the AM. First time was on a Monday. Second time was just this Weds.

If you can manage to get the very first appointment in a particular room and ensure with 100% certainty that NO other patient has been in that room before you that day, that's a huge help.

My Dentist wore a N-95 AND face shield on the first appt. Now that she's been vaccinated (as has her assistant), they both had surgical masks and face shields on this time.

She also runs a HEPA air filtering machine in the room.

Wife and I have gone pretty much NO-WHERE (and I mean no-where!) since last March, and even as "extreme quarantine" as we've been, I actually felt reasonably 'safe' during my two visits - though I sure had a lot of concern and anxiety before going both times as well..because as someone else said up-thread.."we made it this far..ain't gonna blow in the final innings.." (or something like that).

The only other medical appts I've done is my knee Dr when I blew out my knee and my Urologist. Urology office was decent - Dr had a very solid looking surgical mask and wore it "right"..although another Dr who poked his head into the room to update me on status of MY Dr who was running late that day had a flimsier surgical mask with his NOSE EXPOSED (DOH! And this guy is a Doctor?). Knee Dr visit was worse..front desk girl had a cloth Star Wars mask (great). Doctor himself had a flimsy BANDANA (OMG) and nothing else. Worse, I asked every single time what precautions people were taking and was told that they were all wearing "proper" masks, etc. Uh, no.....

Both the Urology appt and my 2nd Dentist visit were this week, back to back days..so I'm in the wait and see if I managed to once again successfully avoid COVID..I think the risks are pretty low, but definitely not completely zero..

I had foot surgery in November and 5 post op office visits. Everyone in the Dr. office wear masks. Nobody in the waiting room. You sit in your car in the parking lot and they call you when to come in. They take your temp when you walk in. I'm very comfortable in this environment.

My dentist's office procedures are similar. Nobody in the waiting room. Call in to be let in. Everyone wearing masks. Temp taken on arrival. Dentist wears a mask and face shield.

The problem I have going to the dentist is that the dentist's face is a foot or so from my unmasked face for a period of time. But I'll still go to a cleaning/ checkup scheduled mid March.

I went into hospital 2 days ago for same day knee surgery. I had to self isolate 2 weeks before, and PCR Covid test 2 days before. Masked on arrival but was able to be unmasked once I was shown to my room. Masked again on the trip down to the operating theatre, and again on the return trip back to my room.

Also asked to stay self isolated for 7 days after surgery as the immune system may be lowered due to anesthesia. As it happens our age group (65-69) opened up for vaccinations this week so we have booked ourselves in for next week and also for the 2nd vaccination.

Brought DM to the State site for shot #2 yesterday. Way more people there than for shot #1. Probably close to 300 people in line. Really well run. Probably 30 minutes in and out. No side effects yet.
Only half the National Gaurd troops on site compared to 3 weeks ago. That was encouraging.
Only thing - I'm glad I brought my wheel chair for her. It's a large facility, DM could never have walked it. And while they said there were chairs available I only saw one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom