cruise from Boston to Montreal

parhur

Dryer sheet wannabe
We are planning a cruise in May leaving Boston and going up the St. Lawrence seaway to Montreal on Holland America. Any thought on how warm it will be and what should I see. we are stopping in Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney Nova Scotia, Quebec city, flying out of Montreal. Looking for historical and food sites. Thank you

We are planning a cruise in May leaving Boston and going up the St. Lawrence seaway to Montreal on Holland America. Any thought on how warm it will be and what should I see. we are stopping in Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney Nova Scotia, Quebec city, flying out of Montreal. Looking for historical and food sites. Thank you

Regarding temps - I would guess from the high 40's to the high 50's, maybe a day or so in the low 60's. That's a lot of ground to cover for sites and food. Maybe do some reading. For Bar Harbor, lobster at any of the restaurants that are open at that time of year and a trip up Cadillac Mountain and trip to Thunder Hole. Quebec has some wonderful small quaint french restaurants in the old town section beneath the Chateau Frontenac, which is worth the visit. In Montreal visit the Notre Dame, St Joseph's Oratory, underground shopping and eat in the Old Town section of town.

When you are at Sydney, NS, you will be only about 10 miles from the Fortress of Louisbourg. Very historic, and hopefully they still make bread there as they did in 1700's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_of_Louisbourg

We totally enjoyed our Louisbourg visit, especially the historically correct period lunch on pewter platters. The food was bland. As they explained few spices were available at the time. But it was overall very eye opening. I love the 1700s!

Last edited:
When you arrive in Bar Harbor, go the kiosk at the ramp and look to take a tram through Acadia National Park. Two hours of a scenic non sponsored cruise excursion for $20.

Also, one block from the pier is Notch Bakery. Take your iPad and catch up on your e-mail while waiting for the shuttle.

I

We made the trek from Manchester, NH to Cape Breton Island in May. For Halifax, average low temperatures are 42 degrees and average highs are 58 degrees.
Tourism gets busy the end of June. Celtic musicians don't show up until July.

We spent 2 weeks on Holland America last April going from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. Although we are now of real retirement age, the average person on the cruise was a generation older than us. They were an incredibly well traveled bunch, however.

We totally enjoyed our Louisbourg visit, especially the historically correct period lunch on pewter platters. The food was bland. As they explained few spices were available at the time. But it was overall very eye opening. I love the 1700s!

I used to work at the Fortress Louisbourg as a costumed guard back in my university days. Lovely job. Encouraged us to come to work dirty and in poor humor.

Probably the best single attraction in the province.

We did a similar cruise this past fall, in the other direction.

Bar Harbor - if you walk into town, by the park in the middle of town is an Acadia National Park office, where you can buy a ticket to the park, and then hop on the free shuttle bus to go to the park. Highly recommended. Also, in town Adelmann's Deli had great frozen custard.

Halifax - The citadel is well worth seeing. We also enjoyed the Halifax Public Garden.

Sydney Nova Scotia - We just looked at some museums in town, but it sounds like the fort that other people were mentioning is a much better option, if you're not tired of forts after the citadel.

Quebec city - Just walking around the old town is great. Also, on the boardwalk outside the Chateau Frontenac, there's an underground museum.

Montreal - Again, the old town is great. Catedral Notre-Dame is impressive. Lots of fantastic restaurants to choose from. If you enjoy nature, the biodome is very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom