Currency Exchange

I traveled to Canada for a week in January, and literally brought no cash, US or otherwise.

Irresponsible? Probably, but it worked out. I charged everything to a credit card with no foreign transaction fees. In the end, I came out way ahead of my friends, who ended the trip with way too many Canadian loonies and got ripped off on the exchange rates both ways.

Btw, has anyone heard of some sort of fee ($1-$2) that charged each person to enter the US from Canada?

Btw, has anyone heard of some sort of fee ($1-$2) that charged each person to enter the US from Canada?

Yeah, this is a new pre-clearance permit that Canada has recently instituted called Electronic Travel Authorization. It's only for those arriving by air who aren't coming with a visa and are not US citizens. It costs CAD$7 and is good for up to 5 years.

It's very similar to what the US has been doing for a number of years called ESTA. The US one costs US$14 and is only valid for 2 years.

Yeah, this is a new pre-clearance permit that Canada has recently instituted called Electronic Travel Authorization. It's only for those arriving by air who aren't coming with a visa and are not US citizens. It costs CAD$7 and is good for up to 5 years.

It's very similar to what the US has been doing for a number of years called ESTA. The US one costs US$14 and is only valid for 2 years.

I was going to say that, until I noted that PERsonalTime's question was about entering the US. The ETA is for travellers entering Canada.

I was going to say that, until I noted that PERsonalTime's question was about entering the US. The ETA is for travellers entering Canada.

Hah, yeah I missed that. Oh well, at least I included the US one too. So, they should follow the ESTA link I gave.

Thank you both ("H" & "M") for your timely response. In that I'll only be there for a few day, I guess I won't have to worry about paying that fee.

Thank you both ("H" & "M") for your timely response. In that I'll only be there for a few day, I guess I won't have to worry about paying that fee. I'll be driving too and not flying.

Thank you both ("H" & "M") for your timely response. In that I'll only be there for a few days, I guess I won't have to worry about paying that fee. Also, I'll be driving in and not flying.

Back
Top Bottom