Dad

My Dad used to take us ( my sister,brother & I ) for a Christmas visit to Philadelphia . We took the day off school & went by train. In Philadelphia we shopped for my Mom's Christmas present ,saw Santa ,went to horn & hardat's and finally saw a movie . The year I went we saw "White Christmas " so every year at Christmas I watch that movie and relieve that great day . Thanks steelyman for bringing back great memories .
That brings back memories. About 30 years, in a cold December, I took the train to Philadelphia with my infant son. I think at the time it was a curious sight, young father with infant in pack. The goal was to see the Xmas show at Wanamaker store. I remember finally arriving and going up several floors by way of escalators so that we could see the light show without crowds.

Changed his diaper right there. It was duty. I got it done.

Thanks for jarring that one loose.

Spent yesterday helping my cousin, who lives in a different town, clearing out the apartment of his recently departed father. This morning it struck me how his memories of his father are often sad or bittersweet. My dad passed away 20 years ago and my memories are honestly almost all positive. I am happy to say that my cousin has moved beyond this and is a happily married father, and a great guy.
Asher

My Dad passed away almost 20 years ago. A few years before he died, my wife did a great thing: she interviewed him for several hours and recorded it. She asked him about his years growing up outside of the U.S., immigrating to the U.S., the challenges he faced, etc. There were a lot of things he spoke of that my siblings and I had never heard before. We made copies of the recordings and have played it for his grandkids, especially the ones born just before or after he died, as a way for them to learn about him.

This is indeed a wonderful gift to have! My dad will be gone 11 years on Tuesday and in many ways it seems like yesterday. Two of my 4 children can remember him well but the other 2 only somewhat. We try to show them the pictures we have of him and the few recordings that we made. On my to do list is to sit down and make recordings of DW and I for posterity. My dad's birthday is May 28 so this week is one that we remember him frequently. In the minds of his children, he was a great man and a great father. Thanks for the thread Steelyman. :)

My Dad passed away almost 20 years ago. A few years before he died, my wife did a great thing: she interviewed him for several hours and recorded it. She asked him about his years growing up outside of the U.S., immigrating to the U.S., the challenges he faced, etc. There were a lot of things he spoke of that my siblings and I had never heard before. We made copies of the recordings and have played it for his grandkids, especially the ones born just before or after he died, as a way for them to learn about him.

I think this is a great idea. I am going to borrow it and do this while my dad is still alive! :)

I think this is a great idea. I am going to borrow it and do this while my dad is still alive! :)

It's a very good idea! One of my siblings did that with my dad. He told great stories about summers in Michigan with our cousins. Getting chased by a goose from the outhouse :)

He also read "The Night Before Christmas".

I also have a video of my cat before she died.

Oh yes reading a favourite childhood book is another great idea!

I just joined this forum and found this wonderful thread. I had the best Dad on the planet who passed away at 87 in 2010. My dear Dad was on his own at age 13 following the death of his mother and until he joined the Navy at 17 worked from farm to farm as a laborer. With an 8th grade education her served in the Navy for 25 years, fought in 3 wars, and retired in the rank of chief. Dad then went on to work until age 74 because he loved his job in bulding maintenance. For someone who came from such a poor socioeconomic foundation, Dad managed to overcome many obstacles, sent both his kids to college, and was there whenever we needed a shoulder to cry on or a few bucks to get up through to our next paycheck. I miss my Dad everyday, but am so blessed to have had him as long as I did :)

I received a package this week with my dad's ring. It's a smart plain gold band. I had no idea it existed. Needless to say, I am thrilled. It doesn't fit any of my fingers except the pinkies, and they're too small - don't want to lose it.

So I will have it resized bigger. What's a dignified finger on which to wear Dad's ring?

I finally got this moving yesterday. I had a dentist appointment (always a pleasure), but I remembered to take the ring in to the jewelers. They sized me up and I'll get it in a few weeks. That was a lot more fun than the dentist because it was Dad in the car with me (sort of).

It reminded me of something. When we were kids we lived for a while on the east coast and that meant holiday drives between east and midwest to be with the extended family. We were horrible kids in the back seat, always yelling and grabbing at each other.

One year, there was awful weather and we hadn't made it far out of Chicago. Probably Gary, IN. You couldn't see a thing. We kids were on full blast back there.

My mom said to my dad driving, "You're going to kill us!". He said, "WHERE THE HELL'S THE ROAD:confused:".

But - he got us back :)

I was blessed with an awesome grandpa. He had a passion for boats, and loved the water. When I was 12, I dreamed of getting an outboard motor that would be powerful enough to get a boat on plane! I worked hard to save up enough to buy a 15 hp evinrude. It took 3 years to save the money, all the while telling stories to grandpa of my dream to have a fast boat. Grandpa lived the dream and anticipation with me. The moment of truth happened and he was there when I laid down the hard earned money to buy the motor. Of course, he was there for the first ride! We had a blast, arms in the air, and whooping it up as the boat got on plane. I think he enjoyed the ride more than I.

One night, the motor got stolen. This floored me. I found out years later, that my grandpa cried deeply. He knew how hard I worked for a dream to come true. He made up a story that the motor was covered by insurance and bought me a new motor.

I loved my grandpa. He was a great person.

DAYDREAMER, that makes me think of the movie "Titanic"! (in a good way)

Or, "On Golden Pond" :)

Last edited:
One night, the motor got stolen..... He made up a story that the motor was covered by insurance and bought me a new motor.

I loved my grandpa. He was a great person.

I bet you did. Sounds like a great guy.

Dad is still alive

My Dad is 90 and he's still alive. But then he's my hero, so I'm not waiting till he dies to post about him.

He raised 5 boys, all successful, happy relatively normal people. No criminal records worthy of note, no bad people, no creeps. Just 5 normal kids.

He was married for 45 years to the same fine woman.

He worked for the same company (he was a milkman) for 25 years.

He never had an accident or a traffic ticket. he doesn't drive now.

He never had a new car until his 75th birthday, when we ganged up and bought him one.

He was 17 when WWII happened, and joined as soon as he could. His two brothers joined as well, one was a B-17 pilot and died over France. The other was a pilot in the Pacific, and died in a freak air accident just after returning from a deployment.

My dad was a machinist mate on an LST; officially known as Landing Ship Tank, but known by all who sailed in them as Large Slow moving Target.

When his second brother died he was in the Pacific, and of course as the last male of the family they yanked him home.

In 2004 this guy calls my dad, and wants to know if he was so n so who served on LST 467. My Dad says yep. The guy says, do you know where your ship is? My dad says, uh, scrap? The guy says nope, it's down here in the Virgin Islands. In 90' of water.

As it turns out the guy was former British Special Forces, and had bought a dive shop after he retired. The locals kept telling him the old wreck he liked to dive on was just an old freighter, but having never seen a freighter with gun tubs, he thought not. He did some research (a story in itself) and eventually figured out that old wreck was indeed 467.

Well, since Dad's 5 sons are all divers, and we try to do a family vacation every year or so, that's all it took. What with wives, girlfriends, kids and what not, 22 of us headed down to St. Thomas to see our dad's old ship.

The dive guy did us right. He knew a video guy who worked for the History channel, and he knew the skipper of the tourist submarine that was based out of St. Thomas. And, he knew the local news reporters.

We were there 5 days and dove on the old ship almost every day. One day they even got permission and took the tourist sub out to the site, so my Dad and a shipmate could see the wreck. And the video guys filmed all of it. Maybe, they said we could make a History channel documentary. That never happened, but we have some amazing footage.

Anyway, it was pretty amazing, to stand on the deck of my dad's old warship. And for the first time my dad talked about the war. He really is my hero. It's a miracle that he survived to have kids. Really.

The dive shop guy brought up the engine telegraph from the engine room, cleaned it up, and presented it to my dad. We all cried.

After the sub came back from the site the news reporters were there to interview my Dad and his shipmate. This nice lady reporter said to my dad
"So, did you recognize your old ship after all these years?"

My dad says
"Aw hell, ships are like women. You can change their hair and change their dress, but as soon as you see them from the back, you know em every time"

They printed it, and put it on the 9 O'clock news.

And my Dad became an instant celebrity down there. It seems PC hasn't quite reached the Caribbean.

What a great story!

I met a guy who served on a ship in WWII recently. Those guys had courage.

And... your dad was right about backsides (probably true for men's, too) ;)

Schutzie - great story.

My Dad's brother was also a machinist's mate on an LST. The parallels end there, his service was in Europe (in fact his one day of action before being wounded was the D-Day invasion)

He passed away in 2010.

My dad was a crew mate on a mine sweeper. Those were the wooden hull ships that went in first to pull up the mines in the water before the steel hulled ships went in.

He told me the Jap Zero's used to have target practice on the mine sweepers to get their guns set up before they flew into a confrontation with our fighters. I have no idea how he survived 3 years in the South Pacific. He was a great and courageous man.

Last edited:
Schutzie - great story.

My Dad's brother was also a machinist's mate on an LST. The parallels end there, his service was in Europe (in fact his one day of action before being wounded was the D-Day invasion)

He passed away in 2010.
Then your dad's brother was in a special kind of hell. Even when they let the LST's land, I understand the fighting was still brutal. Those LST's were supposed to be unsinkable, but we know that wasn't true.

I rang dad's telegraph for your dad's brother.

Do you know where/how your dads proposed to your moms? I don't know, but I suppose it was in Chicago. She told us they did some good "honky-tonking".

I received a package this week with my dad's ring. It's a smart plain gold band. I had no idea it existed. Needless to say, I am thrilled. It doesn't fit any of my fingers except the pinkies, and they're too small - don't want to lose it.

So I will have it resized bigger. What's a dignified finger on which to wear Dad's ring?

I got it back today and it's on my finger :)

Shinier than you'd think possible!

My dad died suddenly of a heart attack 34 years ago on my 23rd birthday. It was 10 years before I didn't cry on my birthday. He was pretty much the only sane one in the family and we all missed him terribly.

A week after he died, I quit smoking. He was a heavy smoker and I knew it always bothered him that I had taken it up. I think I was trying to make something good out of what had happened at the time.....I don't know.

When I got engaged the following year, my mother gave me his wedding ring to use as mine. And because the emotions were still very raw, I couldn't handle anyone else walking me down the aisle, so my DH-to-be and I walked in from the side together.

I think what makes me saddest of all is he never met my children. He would have liked them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom