Day One. At Least I'm Calling it Day One.

Going Sailing

Dryer sheet aficionado
A recruiter left a message for me last week looking to fill the managing director roll at a local accelerator.

I called him back. "Tim, thank God you called. I will be unemployed at the end of this week and homeless by the end of next week. Your timing is perfect."

He didn't know what to say.

I explained the plan of sailing off into the sunset. He tried selling me for a little bit until I started laughing and he realized the futility of trying to entice me no matter how lucrative or inspiring whatever the position was.

And now here I am on Monday morning. I think the first Monday is really the first true day of retirement isn't it?

It doesn't quite seem real.

I've agreed to work eight hours a week remotely. We'll see how it goes. I was going to go cold turkey, but the little bit of income combined with rental income means not having to take anything from the investment accounts which is a nice way to mitigate any sequence of return risk in the early years.

We were at my wife's retirement party on Friday. Someone suggested she wasn't really retiring because she'll be keeping her license current and she will be back to work a little during hurricane season. I explained that you definitely have to have the party and claim victory because the other alternative is you work a couple of months this year, a few weeks the year after and it's not until you are anchored off an island in Thailand or something and realize you haven't worked in a couple of years and there will be nobody at your retirement party.

Now back to work. Need to get the place packed up to have a reasonable shot at homelessness by the end of the week.

And now here I am on Monday morning. I think the first Monday is really the first true day of retirement isn't it?

Congratulations! :dance:

I retired on a Monday, because the first day I qualified for retiree health benefits and pension was on a Saturday and the office was closed for the weekend. I didn't want there to be any question so I waited.

When I walked out at around noon on Monday, 11/9/2009, it was definitely the first true day of retirement for me. :D It was the beginning of the happiest time in my life.

I chose to not take any of the consulting positions that were offered to me, either part time or full time. I haven't worked for money at all since that Monday. But each of us needs to visualize and create our own retirement dreams and retirement reality - - and what I personally really wanted was to be off the hook forever.

As for the retirement party, I didn't want one! But my supervisor required it because she said it would look bad if they didn't have one for me. So, instead of the traditional retirement dinner in a fancy restaurant, I asked her if we could just have a potluck in the conference room down the hall, on the Friday before I left for good. I didn't want my co-workers to have to pay through the nose for a restaurant meal just because I was retiring. She said yes and that worked out very nicely for me.

GS - Congratulations and well done sir.

Please do post pics and descriptions of your sailing and travel adventures.

A recruiter left a message for me last week looking to fill the managing director roll at a local accelerator.

I called him back. "Tim, thank God you called. I will be unemployed at the end of this week and homeless by the end of next week. Your timing is perfect."

DW was looking at me strangely wondering what I was laughing at. Good one!:LOL:

Congrats - I left on a Friday (April Fools Day), but it felt great the following Monday morning!

Congratulations! It will likely feel better and better over time. Enjoy!!

Enjoy! Within a week or 2 of my ER I got a voicemail from a headhunter about a j*b that was right up my alley. For a split second I got excited about the possibility, but then realized that 1) I would have to interview for the position and 2) if I landed the spot they would no doubt expect me to show up every day and actually do some w*rk (remember Maynard G Krebs?). Point # 2 brought me down to earth really fast, and I gleefully called back and politely said not interested.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom