Day planner recommendations

casole

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all!

Going into fall after my end of May retirement (what a glorious summer, I have not looked back!), I'm looking for a good day planner to help me organize my days better. I have bigger projects I want focus on (community based and home based) and while I know intellectually I need to take the big picture and break down into achievable daily activities, I tend to get overwhelmed.

My work life was very daily task oriented and run by my emails and tasks generated from client meetings. Now I have time to research things for my community work, and thinking I really need to time block bc a whole day can go by scrolling and jumping from one thing to the next. I'm finally shaking the feeling that I have emails piling up while I'm reading an article or something!!

I've looked at so many planners, and they are either too "journal like" ( I don't want to "reflect" on every single thing, nor am I a fan of stickers, but I do like a little inspo with quotes) or too utilitarian. I like having all the monthly pages in the front, and also room to take notes from meetings (community), but perhaps I need a separate one for that, I like the Cambridge meeting notebooks for that.

I've looked a cleverfox, bluesky, the customizable "agendio" seemed great but I'd need a planner to design it, :). I need to just get one!! I don't mind having an academic calendar for start date, and I can't deal with undated ones, I'd never know when Thanksgiving and Christmas are ha.

Anyway, long way of asking what planners have you tried and liked and for what reasons, or the opposite, did any just not work out and why.

I use the calendar on my iPad and just list the things I need to do. If I don’t get them done that day, I just move them to the next. I can view daily, monthly, yearly. It’s simple, but works well for me.

I used the getting things done (GTD) process while at work. I’ve modified it significantly since retirement, but what little organization I’ve maintained is in the form of lists (Notes) on my iPad/iPhone. Using the calendar for the hard scape and lists for organizing and planning seems to be working well.

I use Google Calendar primarily because I can easily access it on my phone/ desktop/ laptop/tablet devices, and programmatically if I choose. Enter it once from anywhere, and at whatever time from whatever device I am near I can see my schedule.

I've been using a variety of Franklin Covey planners for the last 30 years. I currently use the month at a glance pages, but during my working years used the daily pages to keep track of assignments and meetings, etc.

They have different sizes, I use the pocket size now but used larger planners when I was working.

I buy the annual monthly pages every year and reuse everything else. My planner is leather and I've probably had this one for 18 or 20 years. They hold up well.

Calendar app on iOS. Some are shared with DH.

I also use the Reminders app.

I just use an old note book, one page a week and write down the days and things I need/want to do. Sort of acts as part calendar/part to do list. I usually sit down at the end of the week and extend it out a week or two if I have anything that far out. Keeps me focused on what I want to focus on and helps to avoid double booking myself. I check things off/scratch them out as they are done. I also have a wall calendar I'll put things on that are several weeks/months out.

I use Google Calendar primarily because I can easily access it on my phone/ desktop/ laptop/tablet devices, and programmatically if I choose. Enter it once from anywhere, and at whatever time from whatever device I am near I can see my schedule.

Same for me on my iPad/iPhone. OP, I highly recommend an electronic based system. It is nice having a calendar and all other planning information on your phone - available at all times. Not to mention how compact a phone is compared to a physical planner.

Plus, I can use Dictation to enter my notes.

Last edited:
Are you looking exclusively for physical (paper-based, hard copy) solutions only?
Hi, yes! Seems many use an electronic calendar. I am more pen to paper should have been clearer on that.
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Hi, yes! Seems many use an electronic calendar. I am more pen to paper should have been clearer on that.
Thanks for all the replies so far.

That’s reasonable. I thought I’d better ask before mentioning what I use (electronic, of course!).

:D

We use Google Calendar. It has all the ticklers for bills, birthdays and whatever else you want to cram in there.

To supplement that I keep a 5 x 7 spiral bound on my desk. I used it when travelling Germany in 2021, then continued using it to jot down my thoughts and things to do. I purchased it in Barnes and Noble. The pages are ruled with pre-printed header for day, etc. Since I've used just half of the pages, it will go with us to Ireland. The front and back cover are stiff and it has held up very well.

I like the "at a glance" monthly tabs. You have a small square for each day, and a side column for notes.
If you need more detail, you can also get the day to day pages, which I had while working. I find the monthly page is detailed enough for me.
I use the #4 size, with 7 rings, small enough to fit in a corner of my desk.I have had the leather cover/holder for several years.
I can find refills via Amazon or the local Office Depot.

I used the getting things done (GTD) process while at work. I’ve modified it significantly since retirement, but what little organization I’ve maintained is in the form of lists (Notes) on my iPad/iPhone. Using the calendar for the hard scape and lists for organizing and planning seems to be working well.
Hi Jerry1,

At a quick glance, this might work for me! I never heard of that system before. I especially like that it has you tie ideas/readings/musings to future goals or actions. I spend a lot of time reading articles and bookmarking links only to never go back to them. That's what I think has me feeling like I'm spinning my wheels. Keeping everything in my head. Or scattered journals!

Love hearing everyone's methods. I'm in such a different place now and still can't quite believe it! Summer was decompression with lots of beaching. Man, going on a random Tuesday with parking for miles and no traffic....

Now that meteorological fall is here I want to get organized in my life goals that I had no time for while w***ing!!

I just use one of the weekly/monthly planners readily available on Amazon. My current one says the company is Lemome. There’s plenty of blank pages at the end for notes, lists, and plans.

I tried a lot of systems before I found GTD. I found that GTD was very consistent with my natural behavior and flexible enough to change where needed. It really helped me at work. Now, it’s just to keep me on track as I don’t like much structure in retirement. However, there are appointments (Calendar) and things I don’t want to forget (Notes - shopping lists . . .). The main note I have is my to do list. I like to capture the things I do want to get done on the to do list so I keep them in the forefront.

Good luck.

I used Daytimer planners before I went electronic. Worked great for me and they had many options.

GTD and other reads helped me get past the procrastinating which built up for me over the years. I didn't invest in the system, though, just picked the parts which had maximum value at the time. What helped me the most was closing out the very brief tasks that I used to accumulate, since I was working one very large task most of the time at work.

Now I do these small tasks much quicker and don't save 5 tasks for tomorrow since I have nothing to do then.

Both the DW and I use one of these now that I'm retired. We don't want/need anymore complexity/detail.

81DJa9K3wFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I use a sheet like below, printed to 8-1/2 x 11, for bills and payments per month. It folds in half and is easily tucked into the 5 x 8 daily planner. I use a fluorescent green paper so it is difficult to lose and easy to find.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 15
Japanese Planners

I have really enjoyed using the planners from Japan. I like to use fountain pens and the paper in these planners is very pen friendly. There are a dizzying array of sizes, covers, types and refills. This year I have been using the Hobonichi Techo Weeks. They can be hard to find and go out of stock quickly. I buy them from Jet Pens.

https://www.jetpens.com/Planners/ct/2815

I also like the Rhodia planner although I prefer the paper in the Japanese products.

BR

OK, I'll be the contrarion...

I figured that now that I am retired, I won't schedule my days like I did when I w*rked. Other than manually putting thing s like doctor's appointments on a wall calendar, I might put a few daily "to do's" on the back of an envelope. And that includes doing some part time work for a former employer. I guess that probably makes me a disorganized slacker...LOL!

Back
Top Bottom