Dental Crowns - Porcelain/Gold/Zirconia? Lab Made or In-House?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
Thus far in life, I've had placed dental crowns made of porcelain and one of gold - all of them involved taking impressions and waiting for the crowns to come back from a lab.

I now understand that many dental offices can use a newer technology that somehow takes images of the area and a crown can be "manufactured" same day in the dental office - no need for impressions or waiting from a lab.

Additionally, some crowns are now made of a zirconia material.

Depending on which dental provider I end up going with, it seems there are more choices now for restoration.

Any experiences, thoughts or opinions as to advantages or disadvantages of the newer technology and materials versus the older? Thank you.

I've had them all--gold, porcelain over gold, ceramic; send to lab and made in house.
I have not found one advantage over the other, really. I went with whatever my dentist was using at that time.
The gold is more expensive and supposedly will last forever, it was my first one years ago.
Both in house and sent out took two visits, the in-house both visits on the same day, a few hours apart.
So far, no difference between any of them.
I have had a couple chips off of ceramic ones, but they were easily fixable by a bit of sanding down in the office. Both chips were preventable (I bit down on a cookie that I thought was defrosted but still frozen in the middle--:facepalm:

My first crown was a gold one that I got about 30 years ago. Done by a military dentist who offered me the choice of gold or porcelain (same free price either way). Since it was in a part of my mouth where it couldn’t be readily seen I opted for gold. Other parts of me have failed/deteriorated - including a porcelain crown - in those 30 years but that gold crown is as good as the day it was put in.

I have 2 3D printed crowns, made while I waited in the chair. No issues with either one and a lot more convenient then the old way. The oldest one is about 7 years old, the other about a year.

I have both the traditional manufactured crowns and the in-house manufactured versions. Depending on the cavity, etc., the in-house versions also have in-lay options sometimes. I suspect that these are likely superior since you get to keep much more of your original tooth during the grinding preparations (?). Human beings are very bright, but it is hard to compete with natural selection when it comes to making our "parts", so the less man-made stuff the better IMO.

I have 2 3D printed crowns, made while I waited in the chair. No issues with either one and a lot more convenient then the old way. The oldest one is about 7 years old, the other about a year.

the crowns are not 3D printed. they are milled from a solid block of zirconia. you are probably thinking of the digital scan of your tooth that enables the software to design the crown for the milling machine.

the crowns are not 3D printed. they are milled from a solid block of zirconia. you are probably thinking of the digital scan of your tooth that enables the software to design the crown for the milling machine.

I got to watch mine get milled, then baked. After it cooled, he put it on. I waited for it.

This was about 5 years ago. So far, so good. My others have all been through the lab.

I think a hygienist told me the ones they made in office don't last as long. In any case I have not tried them.

They gave me a choice. It wasn't a molar. I'd go with the lab for a molar. Lots of pressure.

I've had'em both ways. I prefer the CNC machine cut porcelain crowns that can be done in about an hour--including scanning your mouth. My last one was $760 vs. $850 for a regular crown that took 2 weeks to get back from a dental laboratory.

I've had'em both ways. I prefer the CNC machine cut porcelain crowns that can be done in about an hour--including scanning your mouth. My last one was $760 vs. $850 for a regular crown that took 2 weeks to get back from a dental laboratory.

Definitely a more comfortable, convenient experience. There's room for both methods depending on the situation.

My last crown (porcelain over metal) was cheaper from a lab versus made in-house.

That one lasted 25+ years over a live tooth before an abscess necessitated a root canal.

The replacement will be zirconia...I was told, I wasn't asked for input.

Back
Top Bottom