Dental Disaster

foxfirev5

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My DW had to have a root canal and crown done about two months ago. Our family dentist, who we've had for about 20 years started the process and placed a temporary crown. Everything was going as scheduled until Federal agents showed up at the dentists office and hauled him off on drug charges. What a shocker.
Now DW is trying to get this work completed elsewhere using our insurance- of which there's no coverage amt left for this year. Finally she has found another dentist recommended by reliable people. However he has found a number of hacked crowns and the root canal is not going to work requiring a bridge.
If we use our $1500 annual coverage it will take about three years to get all the work done. Using this strategy will get our portion of the costs down to about $6000.
However even with this hit I don't plan on waiting three years to ER. We'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. Fortunately this is still while I'm working. But I'm sure they'll be plenty of surprizes when I do retire.:dance:

I'm sorry to hear about the misery... be sure to file a report with the PD; document your loss in case there is some settlement. My guess is that the dentist carried malpractice insurance of some sort or perhaps his assests will be liquidated. Just a thought.

I had something similar happen years ago - I had several crowns done on back teeth after 8 months of pregnancy-related barfing wrecked fillings. The dentist who did the work died just before the work was completed leaving me with 2 temps and 2 really badly done crowns. I had to have all the work redone at my own expense but about a year later there was an insurance or estate settlement that refunded most of my initial costs.

Good luck - document.

Thanks for the info Janet. We're not really into the legalities of these things and appreciate the input.

Definitely document everything. Contact PD, insurance co., maybe American Dental Association.

You didn't screw up the dentist did. You may find a younger eager dentist that may be eager to help in order to establish their practice.
MRG

I had two crowns fail well before the 5-year insurance limit (i.e. they will only replace a failed restoration if you've had it at least 5 years). The dental office gave me a significant credit toward replacements. I don't think they were being generous; my former dentist had been forced to retire early because her hands had gone bad, and they were probably trying to avoid multiple lawsuits. She had been a fabulous, perfectionist dentist in her heyday, and we all kept going back to her, not realizing she simply was not the same artist and craftswoman she had been.

Amethyst

This is rough, and I feel for you, but on a positive note this is good information to have.
There will definitely be more (maybe many more) incidents of odd, expensive surprises during retirement. Just one more thing to plan for.

Best of luck.

I'd get a second opinion before having any of it done.

Sorry you are going through this!

Thanks to all. We're definitely going to check it out and get second opinion and try to make good decisions. DW has a bunch of notes here by the computer with a list of conversations with the American Dental Assoc., the state Dental Assoc. , the state Attorney Generals Office, our insurance company, the local DA, etc. I always have known one thing - don't mess with a ticked off woman. In any event it will work out and I feel a little guilty about whining about something that is curable.

Back
Top Bottom