Dentist's charge for PPE

I get cleanings 4X/year because of my implants and because I tend to build up plaque despite flossing, using a WaterPik and a Sonicare toothbrush AND a prescription toothpaste. Last visit was in January and next one scheduled for next month. I really want to keep up the prevention.

I am with Athena on this one. I am not too price sensitive because the price of an implant will far exceed all the anger/frustration from fighting PPE charges.

This week's cleaning was probably $25 higher than last time. No separate itemization.

Update - I may have a new dentist! I really liked my experience yesterday. The office staff & hygienist were very professional & seemed to have been with the practice a while as opposed to my usual dentist where turnover is very high. Scheduling was a breeze, parking is easier & it's a much shorter drive. The dentist I didn't interact with much, but he seems competent & wasn't giving me a laundry list of all the work he wants to do so that was nice. Unless I get a surprise bill I will be counting this as a win.

My husband just went to get two fillings replaced this week and I was anticipating having a PPE charge after reading this thread. Surprisingly, there were no additional fees for PPE and just their customary charges.

As for precautions taken, they have a sign on the door to call from your car when you arrive so they can check you in. They call you they are ready for you to come in and they make sure you wear a mask on your way in and they check your temperature with a forehad scanner device. You then go straight to the chair.

I was pleasantly surprised by all of this when my husband shared with me.

Update - I may have a new dentist! I really liked my experience yesterday. The office staff & hygienist were very professional & seemed to have been with the practice a while as opposed to my usual dentist where turnover is very high.

This is important to me as well, a happy staff at my dentist. I've known a couple hygenists over the years, and both said that it's hard to find a good office to work in as some dentists are real tyrants. Turnover at my current dentist is low. One hygenist who'd worked there for many years died recently, and it was though they'd lost a beloved aunt. Finding a good dentist is exciting news indeed, maybe as good as having a great first date!

I'm wondering if dental insurance companies will have windfall profits in 2020 from people completing only one or no preventative cleanings in 2020.

Medical insurance companies must provide rebates to policyholders if they haven't spent enough of their premiums on medical expenses. No such law for dental insurance companies, as far as I know. Auto insurance companies are refunding money to policyholders without even being asked as they were swimming in cash.

I have dental insurance through a plan managed by the VA. I initially contacted Delta Dental about a premium rebate due to being unable to obtain services and they basically said, "Too bad for you." I tried to locate the VA office who manages the program but that was unsuccessful so I contacted my Congress Critter's office. I filled out her 'help me' form requesting an audit at year end to determine if there were windfall profits in 2020 in the veterans dental insurance program due to COVID. I'm not holding my breath for an answer but at least I asked the question.

Medical insurance companies must provide rebates to policyholders if they haven't spent enough of their premiums on medical expenses. No such law for dental insurance companies, as far as I know. Auto insurance companies are refunding money to policyholders without even being asked as they were swimming in cash.
I got a notice from my former employer that my dental insurance is reducing the premium by 25% for two months. All future payments are at an adjusted rate due to this.

I got a notice from my former employer that my dental insurance is reducing the premium by 25% for two months. All future payments are at an adjusted rate due to this.

Would you mind revealing your insurance company?

Saw the dentist yesterday for a crown prep and the PPE charge was $19.00. They said insurance would cover it. Seeing all the layers of clothing/equipment they all had on, I wasn't concerned about the cost of the PPE. The cost of the crown, on the other hand, was, as always, outrageous!

I'm wondering if dental insurance companies will have windfall profits in 2020 from people completing only one or no preventative cleanings in 2020.

I spent a lot of my career pricing property-casualty insurance, so let me take a stab at this.

Insurance rates are regulated by the states. Companies must supply statistics justifying the need for a rate change. Typically, they come up with projected premiums, losses and expenses during the period the rates will be effective, based on the experience of the last 2 or 3 years, adjusted for inflation and other factors to approximate future results. Let's say the rates were going to be effective as of 1/1/2020. Of course they over-estimated the amount of losses for the effective period because the exposure (miles driven) decreased significantly due to all the shutdowns, work-from-home, etc. If they filed for a rate change as of 1/1/2021, based on experience in 2020, it would look like they needed a decrease because 2020 was such a profitable year. By giving away the windfall in the form of credits, dividends whatever, they put 2020 on a level comparable to previous years.

Dental insurance may be a bit different. I'd be interested to see the effect on claims as people develop more expensive problems because their dentist was closed or they were reluctant to risk going for cleanings after the offices opened. Of course the companies saved $$ on routine cleanings and they do protect themselves with their out-of-pocket calendar year max and their stingy % paid on major work such as bridges and crowns, but if cleanings have any preventative value, there will be more cavities and other work to be done in future years.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall as dental insurance companies discuss their requested rate changes for 2021 with their state insurance departments!

I spent a lot of my career pricing property-casualty insurance, so let me take a stab at this.

Insurance rates are regulated by the states. Companies must supply statistics justifying the need for a rate change. Typically, they come up with projected premiums, losses and expenses during the period the rates will be effective, based on the experience of the last 2 or 3 years, adjusted for inflation and other factors to approximate future results. Let's say the rates were going to be effective as of 1/1/2020. Of course they over-estimated the amount of losses for the effective period because the exposure (miles driven) decreased significantly due to all the shutdowns, work-from-home, etc. If they filed for a rate change as of 1/1/2021, based on experience in 2020, it would look like they needed a decrease because 2020 was such a profitable year. By giving away the windfall in the form of credits, dividends whatever, they put 2020 on a level comparable to previous years.

Dental insurance may be a bit different. I'd be interested to see the effect on claims as people develop more expensive problems because their dentist was closed or they were reluctant to risk going for cleanings after the offices opened. Of course the companies saved $$ on routine cleanings and they do protect themselves with their out-of-pocket calendar year max and their stingy % paid on major work such as bridges and crowns, but if cleanings have any preventative value, there will be more cavities and other work to be done in future years.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall as dental insurance companies discuss their requested rate changes for 2021 with their state insurance departments!

One of the people I talked to at the VA actually put me in touch with a guy who turned out to be a sales-type guy (and he talked the part) for Delta Dental. My question was obviously above his pay grade but he said there had been discussions about what they were going to do. He also said Delta was discussing financial support for dentists. He responded with that info when I mentioned claims/costs were going to be lower (at least in the short term) for Delta. Like Delta loaning money to dentists to keep their practices afloat was an additional cost Delta was experiencing that would affect any decision on premiums. I responded that whatever Delta decided to do to help dentists had no bearing on their claims costs. Obviously, that conversation was a waste of time.

We have a private Delta Dental policy in retirement.
Previously had DD thru workplace also.

Pleasantly surprised to receive a reduction of about 35% of last months premium. I hadnt even thought about asking so that was a nice surprise.

First of all, many people, no matter their own finances, automatically begrudge every extra dollar going out.

And this case is the dentist. Not a place that holds a warm special place - literally no posts bemoaning that their favorite dentist might go out of business. It's not like our local hairdresser or burger joint that we're all rushing to support.

It's also very easy to see that my server at the sushi place never had to wear masks and gloves before, so that's a clear difference. "ah yes now you have a new cost to run your business that you never had before!"

We expect a medical place to have PPE requirements normally (i mean, my dental hygenist already wore nurse gear and a mask so it's less clear the delta causing the up charge).

So, an anti-dentite perhaps?

No warm and special place in your heart for them. What about your surgeon who does your colonoscopy to hopefully keep you free of colon cancer. Not a lot of blazing threads about fantastic colon prep out there.

Your hygienist was certainly not wearing an n95 mask prior to this mess.

As far as support goes, great, hurrah for your local burger joint. Are they going to address your toothache?

Difference in PPE requirements in a burger joint and a dental practice in my area are miles apart. Go ahead and get some quotes on certified N95 masks that are not required at burger joints. Are they wearing gowns? Booties? Head gowns?

Yep, I'm a little bit pissy as an underappreciated dentard.

Best,

Steve

Back
Top Bottom