Depressed

rw86347

Recycles dryer sheets
I am just feeling depressed today. I am not sure why. Maybe because I think work is borring. Or maybe it is because we are doing layoffs. Or maybe it is because I have my performance review tomorrow. Or maybe it is because my last spreadsheet said it would take more than 7 years more of work. Or maybe it was because the my carwash lost a little money this last week. Maybe all of the above.

So what did I do about it, avoid work and read about living in thailand.

I keept looking at the numbers from every angle possible. I keep thinking there must be some way of spinning the numbers.

Does anyone else get depressed at 7 more years of work! It sounds like forever. Not to mention that my daughter will be nine by then! ARG! I just want to quit. I need a sabbatical.

Rodger

I have any where from 11-15 years left and it is discouraging because work is no fun. But you need to enjoy today as well as dream about tomorrow. I look forward to the weekends and am always planning my next vacation in the short term.

Retireinmy40s said:
you need to enjoy today as well as dream about tomorrow.

I would push this a little further...if you enjoy "every today" (even if that means enjoying today while 'planning' for tomorrows, well if you enjoy every today then, well, you win....

Or maybe it is because we are doing layoffs.

This one gets my vote -- no question.

Layoffs suck! You're friends are out the door, everyone's got a sword hanging over their heads, those who are gone take a financial hit and those who are left do twice the work for half the thanks because management thinks they should feel lucky to have any job at all.

I'd be surprised if you were NOT depressed!

I think a little daydreaming about Thailand is not a bad idea... but maybe add something more active -- go running, life a few weights, take a walk at least...

I like to hike to the top of a local mountain, look down at the Bay Area and its teeming cities, and realize that hey, there's a huge world out there, with a million opportunities, and that my small world only LOOKS that way from my limited perspective.

Whatever you do, I hope you feel better...

I am feeling good today. My wife has the summer off because she works for the school system. She has now had five weeks off. It is driving her crazy. She wants to go back to work. I don't think ER is right for her, which means that I can ER earlier!!! Anyone got JG's number?

I'm right there with you this week. I have 15 years left at least. And Boston U. is not happy with my application, so if I get into the Master's program it will be on a probation/contigency plan. Geez, I can't believe I'm hoping to be put on probation.

Work has been pretty yechhy this past couple weeks. That compounded by the stock market tanking has made the glimmer of ER seem very distant. Bright spot is DW and Tori are having a great time. :)

REWahoo! said:
I know his wife's got it... Oh, do you mean his phone number? :D

:LOL:

Actually I *do* have his phone number. Been meaning to drop him a little call...

But I cant decide between "Is your refrigerator running?" and "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

Laurence said:
Work has been pretty yechhy this past couple weeks. That compounded by the stock market tanking has made the glimmer of ER seem very distant. Bright spot is DW and Tori are having a great time. :)

Sorry that work has been hard. But the stock market hasn't exactly tanked. Be forewarned.

Also, glad your home life is good. Most important, for sure.

Ha

I think the saying goes, "Happy Wife is a happy life!"

I should be better in a week, Friday is the "off" Friday on my 9/80 schedule, and I'm taking Monday off, so I won't be back to work until Wednesday! :D

Rodger, keep your chin up, looking at the numbers should make you feel better, not worse. If it does, then take some time off from excel! But I know how you feel after the last couple of weeks!
Ours will be a two-step ER, with DH quitting in 6 years at 50 and me waiting another 8 until I am 50 as well. I think that last 8 will suck more than the first 6, but it is the only way he can quit early. DH retiring at 50 is very important to me, so that helps keep an eye on the prize.
Identifying goals along the way can help, too. I was the general contractor on our home (didn't do quite as much as you did!), and the satisfaction of watching each part of the house be completed was wonderful--now I just have to find ways to make the ER incremental goals "feel" that good. But I agree, sometimes I just daydream about Mongolia, NZ, Peru, etc. instead.
Sarah

HaHa said:

It takes all kinds, Ha. Not that many years ago I went on vacation in a place that at that time was a Navy base and a bombing/artillery range. 6 years later I can't afford to buy property there.

Fishing with prairie dogs? Last week we're killing and eating the bunny, now this...

If I were that guy, seeing the size of that fish, I'd have left the waders at home, stayed on shore for fear of being mistaken for 'bait', and brought a harpoon.

Point made, Cut-Throat. What a fish!

Ha

Cut: That fish is outrageous!! :D

Appears that he was using light tackle also.

Landing him must have been an all day affair. ;)

Thanx for sharing.

Cute n Fuzzy Bunnay said:
Fishing with prairie dogs?  Last week we're killing and eating the bunny, now this...

If I were that guy, seeing the size of that fish, I'd have left the waders at home, stayed on shore for fear of being mistaken for 'bait', and brought a harpoon.

Hell, here in Texas, that fish IS bait... :p ::) ::)

Cute n Fuzzy Bunnay said:
Fishing with prairie dogs?  Last week we're killing and eating the bunny, now this...

:D

"Here are some great recipes for your dining pleasure. These have been sent in by some active prairie dog fishermen.

Prairie Dog Stew

Ingredients:
1 prairie dog, quartered
1 cup diced onion
2 large tomatoes (from your garden) or 1 can of tomatoes
Assorted fresh ,or canned veggies

Preparation:
Sprinkle seasoned salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional) liberally on the meat. Pour some cooking oil into a large pot (dutch oven). Sauté the meat with the onions until well browned. Drain the excess oil, add about 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cut up the tomatoes and add. If you use canned tomatoes add them now. Turn down the heat, and let slow cook for at least an hour. Important: older prairie dogs may require cooking longer than an hour. Check periodically for tenderness. If you don't you will have a hard time chewing the meat. After the meat is tender, add the veggies, carrots, potatoes, banana pepper, what ever you like. Cook until the veggies are done. An option you can use is, cook up your favorite pasta and serve over the pasta. (eliminate the potatoes). That's it, nice and simple."

Source:
PDFT Praire Dog Recipes
http://www.lovelandnet.com/toms-place/writing/pdf/recipes.htm

Right now I'm waiting to present in front of the big heapum chiefs to

a) explain why we are behind schedule and

b) why we need more money

The lead, asst. manager, and the next highest senior person are all on travel, so it fell to me to present this.

After I'm done I get to go home for the long weekend. I was supposed to present in 10 minutes. They are 90 minutes behind schedule.. :p :p :mad: :'(

Rub it in!

Well that went crappy! Actually, it went really well, except my Manager (my lead's boss) was in the corner glowering at me, red faced the whole time. I just hope he was thinking of something else and not ticked that an incompetent snot nose was leading that discussion. The customer agreed they had added requirements they hadn't initially paid for, and they were quite gracious and very curteous to me. Sheesh!

Only 15 more years.....I'm having a glass of wine when I get home, I don't care if it'll only be 4 by then. :dead:

Laurence said:
my Manager (my lead's boss) was in the corner glowering at me, red faced the whole time.  I just hope he was thinking of something else and not ticked that an incompetent snot nose was leading that discussion.
He was realizing how neatly he'd been outmaneuvered by your lead & asst mgr, the guys whose heads he was going to bite off, only to see you come into the room as a sacrifice.

He was probably conflicted over the desire to kill something now or to defer it for a doubleheader later...

Here's a little catfish these guys caught...

Attachments

• catfish.jpg
    catfish.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom