Determining tax consequences of an inherited annuity

rwdflynavy

Recycles dryer sheets
My DW inherited an annuity when my MIL passed away. I know the total value is about $42K. We asked for info about the annuity and all the company sent us was that our Cost Basis is about $9.4K.

We have the very first world problem of managing our total income to keep us eligible for Roth IRA contributions and I want to ensure we don't go over the $218K amount after which eligibility for Roth contributions declines.

From this limited info can anyone tell me what portion will count as AGI for taxes if we take the entire amount this year? I'm hoping it is just the $9.4K, but I'm not sure.

Appreciate any assistance!

Sorry for your loss.

We went through this for mom about 5 months ago. Goatfan is correct. You will pay taxes on what the gain is from MIL's purchase price.

We were given the option of taking the payout as an annuity over time or lump sum. We took the lump sum to have it all resolved in 2023 tax year. If you are able to take the payout over a number of years, maybe 10, this may alleviate some of your potential problem.

When you complete the claim forms, it will give the options of how you want the payout and ask how you want to handle taxes - they can withhold Fed and State taxes from the distribution(s). I would recommend doing this, at approximately what your Fed/State tax rate is. We had them hold 15% for Fed and 5% for state. This way we won't have any surprise amount due come tax time, and it wouldn't raise any red flags along the way.

The insurance company provided a summary letter with the check, and I assume they will send appropriate tax form in time for filing 2023 taxes. If not, their letter provides the taxable amount and how much was withheld.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom