DH's job not renewed. He's RETIRING!!

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH lost his job on Jan 29. He has 21 years in our county's social services and another 5+ years at another county agency so with a total of 26.667 years he will be retiring as of June 1, 2010. He's in the state public employees retirement system for Ohio - OPERS. He's 54, turning 55 in April. Minimum age to retire is 55 with 25 years.

We've known the job loss was probably coming for about 18 months. Things changed at work and his misery level increased. Recently they moved most of his tasks to his boss, another dept. or a committee. He won't be replaced.

About 3 years ago my first post here http://www.early-retirement.org/for...rvice-credit-was-hello-im-new-here-26078.html was about buying back his 5+ years from another agency that we had cashed in in 1981 in order for him to go to graduate school. We did buy back his time and know we made the right decision.

On Jan 29 they called him into the HR dept and told him his contract was not being renewed. Not a big surprise. We were very prepared. They told him that they would honor his contract which ends May 31, 2010, but that he was done. Go home, don't come back.

So he's been home since Jan 29th with full pay and full benefits until 5/31/10. He's even still accruing vacation time and sick time which will be paid out in June. He'll have 600 hours of vacation time and over 200 hours of sick time (payable at 50% of his pay rate) so this will be a nice chunk of change.

We took a trip to the state capital last month and met with a OPERS retirement counselor who verified the estimates we had calculated online and answered some of our questions.

Basically, it comes down to this. Unless he can find a job in the same pension system (or a few other state systems) and add to his years of service, there's no reason NOT to retire and take the pension. He's applied to a few counties but there are very few job postings. Anything that's publicly funded around here has been drastically cut. The recession here is pretty bad. He had one promising interview and today he got the letter saying that it's been filled.

We're taking the reduced pension with 100% to the survivor. It's COLA-ed 3% a year. It works out to be about 66% of what his current take-home pay has been while employed. This will cover our monthly living expenses without reducing our already LBYM lifestyle. We are not big spenders and we've been big savers. The pension plan also provides health insurance for both of us. Being that he has less than 30 years he will be given an allowance equal to 86% (59% for me) of the "Enhanced Plan" cost and we can choose whether to use the allowance on the Enhanced, Intermediate or Basic plan. Enhanced or Intermediate would cost us a monthly amount to make up the difference but with the Basic plan we will get a monthly credit into a RMA. The Basic plan has a higher deductible and higher co-pay. We will set aside enough to cover at least a year of medical co-pays and deductibles. We both have already talked to our doctors about lower cost prescriptions and they were very cooperative.

We are very close to being debt-free. The cash is there in savings, we've just been on HOLD while this major life change all shakes out. We will enter official retirement debt-free. House has been paid off for a few years and so have the cars.

It's taken him a few weeks to get used to this new life. He's sleeping like a rock, no longer waking up at 4:22am with work worries. He's been puttering around the house and also taking daily walks at the park. He felt like he was suddenly unplugged, left things at work undone and goodbyes unsaid. At first he missed the daily contact with his staff and interaction with people. He's much happier now, very relaxed and enjoying what's yet to come. Today he asked me for a "honey-do" list, he's ready to get going on moving on. He's planning a garage sale and eBay sales and a vegetable garden.

I'm still working part-time and will continue to do so. I like the daily routine and the income which has all been for savings. My jobs don't have any benefits.

He may work again in the future. Maybe not. We'll have to see how we like things this way for a while. I'm also 55 but in the future I'll get a little Social Security if it's still there. He has not completed his 40 credits so if he can do that he may get something but it will be reduced because of his pension.

I've learned so much reading this forum. Mostly it's been reassuring to hear from people who retire successfully. Even if you're not a millionaire. Even though the financial pundits say it can't be done.

So that's what's new here. Big changes. We're going to be OK.

You are definitely going to be okay ! My SO was also lost for a little while when he retired and now he has a million projects going . Good Luck !

I retired from a municipal retirement system the first of this year also.
I've now been adjusting for about three months.
All I can say is I'm loving every minute of it.
I don't have to wake up at 4:00am anymore either. :)
With the cost savings on gas, taxes and other work expenses. I think we are going to be OK.
I did finish my required 30 years of service though.
Steve
PS. I haven't even started on the honey do projects yet.
Well not the big ones, anyway.

The abrupt manner in which they handled this may not make it feel like congratulations are in order, but...

CONGRATULATIONS!

It's going to work out great.

Wow - how nice to get off "early" yet still paid through end of contract - sweet!!!!

Congrats!

Audrey

It sounds like you are going to be okay financially, and once the dust settles I think you are going to be okay mentally.

Congratulations, welcome to ER or ESR :flowers:

I read through your post and it looks like you will be all right. Cheers!

It's been such a strange feeling, he's home yet the direct deposit paychecks still show up like they always have. Yet we see the end of the gravy train coming. I'll miss being able to save large amounts of money every month but I'm determined to save a little something and we'll see if later he feels the need to work part-time.

Now that he's worked through the bad taste of how it all ended he's almost giddy about all this.

My other post got so long, I forgot to mention that our younger son graduated from college in Dec 2009. No more college expenses (or tax credits). We cash flowed his college expenses so there are no loans. He and our other son (graduated 2006) both live here and pay a "contribution to the household" that's a percentage of their income. That's a nice bonus and it's always gone toward savings. When they are gone we will be on just the pension and my PT income but the grocery and utility costs will drop!

We're taking the reduced pension with 100% to the survivor. It's COLA-ed 3% a year. It works out to be about 66% of what his current take-home pay has been while employed. This will cover our monthly living expenses without reducing our already LBYM lifestyle. We are not big spenders and we've been big savers. The pension plan also provides health insurance for both of us.
[...]

Sue, that is WONDERFUL!!! Congratulations to both of you. I am sure you are going to be fine, especially with no more college expenses. Time for the two of you to celebrate!! :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: You have both earned this retirement and it's time to enjoy it. :D

Very possible you are millionaires when you count the value of the pension. How much would you be required to have in savings such that the pension equals a 4% withdrawl rate?

Congrats!, but your DH needs to learn to never ask for a "honey-do" list.
+1 He clearly hasn't adjusted yet :)

It sounds like your planning helped make this a positive transition. Congratulations.

Congratulations!

It sounds like you've both prepared for it and it will work out for you.

Agree with Ronstar though. He needs to learn about the "honey-do list". Those things have a way of expanding:

When I got engaged I thought it would be nice to paint the master bedroom for DW2B. I was working shift work at the time and used a smaller room because it had dark paneling and room-darkening shades, taped to the window frames so no light could get in. She hated it because it "looked like a cave in there", which was the whole point.

So I do a great job, spending two days on preparation filling nail holes, replaced electrical outlets and cover plates, trim in white enamel, new door hardware, etc.

She was very pleased, but then dropped the bomb. "Dear, just think of how nice it will look when you finish the rest of the house."

Huh? Who said anything about painting the entire house?:(

But, he'll learn....

Yes, congratulations. I also left before I was 55 and I have come to realize that I won the lottery. Around here if you win a million dollars, you get $50,000 for 20 years. Well, with a pension, it is for life!

It can be a little hurtful to get the bum's rush, but once you dust yourself off, you realize that you have been given a wonderful gift - the ability to do anything that you want to do while you are still in the prime of health. Enjoy!

Thanks, everyone! I knew you folks would understand what he's going through and where we're headed.

Very possible you are millionaires when you count the value of the pension. How much would you be required to have in savings such that the pension equals a 4% withdrawl rate?

When you include the monthly allowance for the health care insurance we would have to have saved about $1,050,000. Without the insurance the savings would have to be around $800,000. Wow. I'm a darn good saver but we never could have accumulated that much by 55.

I also realize there is risk involved in accumulating that much on your own. Ohio's pension funds appear to be in much better shape than some states. Of course we have no control over it vs. controlling your own investments.

Congratulations. I am glad to hear that he is adjusting. He will be thriving in no time at all. Enjoy life.

I also realize there is risk involved in accumulating that much on your own. Ohio's pension funds appear to be in much better shape than some states. Of course we have no control over it vs. controlling your own investments.
A steady income from the state is much better than withdrawing living expenses from a portfolio that is subject to market volatility.

BTW - Congrats.

Congratulations. I think you may find your husband's adjustment period is longer than you think. I have been retired over 3 years and still have dreams about work. Not every night. Still retirement is great.

We're taking the reduced pension with 100% to the survivor. It's COLA-ed 3% a year. It works out to be about 66% of what his current take-home pay has been while employed.

This is incredible. A percentage that high and COLA'd. Wow. Double Wow.

Congratulations. I think you may find your husband's adjustment period is longer than you think. I have been retired over 3 years and still have dreams about work. Not every night. Still retirement is great.

You mean "nightmares" not dreams, right ?

It's about 66% of TAKE HOME, not gross. On the gross it's more like 48%. But we have been living on a lot less than his take home pay for a few years so this is not a big adjustment. As an employee in the pension system he was contributing 10% to the pension (employer portion is 14%). That's the first big chunk that will no longer be withheld. Also medicare 1.45% and his costs for the employer provided medical insurance.

In Jan 2010 we had changed his withholding to M-0 because we lost our last dependent and last juicy tax credit for eduation when our son graduated in Dec. Figuring our taxes for this new phase I see that our taxes will drop significantly. So that's why the monthly pension with be such a big percentage compared to his regular paycheck.

One more revelation he's had about retiring - he doesn't have enough "weekend" clothes now that he needs to dress down 7 days a week!

Congratulations Sue...time is precious...enjoy every minute of it. :flowers:

Congratulations!
This is a great example how LBYm really pays off. If you had been used to a high cost life style it would be much harder to adapt to the new budget.
But as LBYMer, able to live on what comes in in future, you can fully focus on the benefits of ER for one of you.
Enjoy!

I'm also impressed by the multiplier. In Maryland the equivalent pension (Employees pension system) with 100% to the spouse would be less than 50% of the salary. Even with Social security (which of course we paid for ) it is very hard to get it up to 60 percent unless you are very low income and benefit from the redistributive portion of social security.

You said his area is social services. In many areas qualified social services professional who already have health insurance are in substantial demand in the hospital- health insurance area.

Congrats - enjoy the ER!

The following is just for some perspective, it is not about what is earned, deserved, or jealousy or anything. Just some numbers for comparison:

It's about 66% of TAKE HOME, not gross. On the gross it's more like 48%.

and...

total of 26.667 years; ... We're taking the reduced pension with 100% to the survivor. It's COLA-ed 3% a year.

plus some (reduced) SS eligibility.

I suppose my MegaCorp pension is pretty typical, let's see. My pension calculation on 28.x years of service provides for ~ 38% of my Final Average Earnings if I take it at 65. Cut it in half to take it at 55YO (19%). Multiply by .77 for 100% Survivor benefits, that gets us to 15%. No COLA at all.

I haven't run a FireCalc comparison with a fixed 3% pension, but a full COLA pension is ~ 2X the value of a non-cola pension. So probably close.

15% versus 48% is a 3.2 x the benefit before any COLA adjustment, lets say a conservative 1.5x for that COLA, and you are at 15% versus 72%!!!! A 4.8x multiplier!! And for fewer years of service. So QUADRUPLE-PLUS WOW from me!

You didn't give numbers for HC, but you do get a considerable % allowance, and have the option for a higher deductible plan (OK, I am jealous there, I wish Mega Corp would offer that, I'd love to run the numbers and I don't see why they don't, other than inertia and probably few takers). SO that is likely more attractive also.

Yes, I'll get SS also. But I paid into it too, so that would take some more math to equalize. At any rate, I hope you appreciate that this is a very significant difference from typical private pension systems.

And again, CONGRATS - enjoy yourselves!

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom