Did retirement cause my vital signs to change?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I retired in early January, 2014, In March, I went back to work 3 days a week. Meanwhile, I was fighting a nuisance suit by tenants, and we were working to ready the rental property for sale.

In September 2014, my 3-day workweek went down to 2 days a week, where it remains. We won the lawsuit, and sold the townhouse.

Gym time stayed consistent throughout, at 4 virtually identical workouts per week.

Here are my vitals in May 2014, versus the most recent physical in July 2016:

May 2014:

Weight 140 (highest of my life)
BP 135/80
Pulse 79

July 2016:

Weight 132 (my college weight)
BP 105/67
Pulse 63

Think retirement had anything to do with this? Or is it just a statistical blip?

Amethyst

You need more than those two points to actually show if a true reduction has happened. It is a good trend indicator, but you need more data points to be statiscally significant.

Nice improvement, I hope you are patting yourself on the back:dance:.

After I semi-retired my BP went way down which is good since I am on meds.

Of course it did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I was on BP meds the last couple years I w*rked. Uncontrolled, it was around 140/90. A year after I retired (and lost some weight), I came off of them. I now average about 115/60. So...yes...retirement was a very healthy choice for me.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

I wish I had your vitals ;)

After being ER'd for a year, my AiC has fallen nearly 3 points into the normal range. Doc has taken me off 1 med, and reduced 2 others to the lowest doses. He wants to drop them if I remain the same during my next check-up.

I think it's the lack of stress that has done it.

_B

Great health stat improvements Amethyst !

I am a bit worried about your long term picture. Have you run a simulation out to age 120 years to check if your assets will hold up with such good health stats? ;)

Good for you! I hope you can drop the meds.

There still is stress, and not all of it is good stress either, but the relentlessness of work is no longer contributing to it.

I wish I had your vitals ;)

After being ER'd for a year, my AiC has fallen nearly 3 points into the normal range. Doc has taken me off 1 med, and reduced 2 others to the lowest doses. He wants to drop them if I remain the same during my next check-up.

I think it's the lack of stress that has done it.

_B

Don't forget that perfect BP is 120/80. If you're too much below that, I'd be asking my physician if sucih low BP is healthy.

Retiring can sometimes relieve stress--which is a big positive. My problem is that I have too much time on my hands to cook--which can be a negative trend to my blood sugar levels. I'm just saying retirement goes both ways--sometimes healthy and sometimes unhealthy.

Don't forget that perfect BP is 120/80. If you're too much below that, I'd be asking my physician if sucih low BP is healthy.

Who told you that? I thought down to 90/60 was still fine. 120/80 is the highest value in the normal range, I doubt it is perfect.

Definitely 120/80 is not the 'perfect' BP. Lower BPs are generally better unless one is on a BP med and it is 'working too well' or in various other fairly acute medical conditions. Generally speaking with all things being equal, someone who feels well with an ongoing BP of 100/60 is going to have less cardiovascular issues than someone with a BP of 120/80 who is going to be much better off than someone who has a BP of 160/100.

Great work on the BP and weight. Hoping it feels good!

Last edited:
Congrats :)

My ex-manager was on BP meds. After he retired, his BP dropped to normal range and no longer need the meds.

Think retirement had anything to do with this?

Certainly!

Less work = less stress = better vitals. And your stress level is probably also down a bunch since winning the lawsuit. Keep your same lifestyle and your vitals should remain the same. (At least that's what I've read)

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom