Digital drawing - new ER hobby?

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When I first ERd about 16 years ago I briefly got into sketching and drawing on natural media. I later discovered digital drawing using Painter software and a Wacom art pad and stylus. It was fun but working at the PC was constraining so I soon dropped it. I recently bought an iPad mini as my new primary ebook reader and saw Apple Pencils at the store. I decided to try drawing on the iPad with the Procreate app which packs a ton of advanced features for $10. I found a channel of online tutorials by a British artist named James Julier on YouTube and followed one on drawing a mountain landscape. I was pretty happy with my first try with the app. This drawing was done free hand following the tutorial's brush sections, palette of colors, layers, etc. I only hope I can generalize the lessons into stuff I do on my own.

Note: when I started sketching I was a stick figure guy - no talent whatsoever. I followed exercises in the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." So, if you are interested but figure you can't draw a circle, give it a shot.

Attachments

• Mountains.jpg
    Mountains.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 29
Wow. Pretty nice drawing.

That is fantastic. That is something that I have been wanting to do for a while. I bought the Apple Pencil, had the iPad, but didn't find an app that I liked. I'll have to give Procreate a try.

Thanks for posting!

Nice!

Graphic design - that’s what they used to call computer-based art. It’s all creative.

Nice! I just started learning Blender. Crazy learning curve, but it's free software with the ability to generate Pixar-quality animations (as well as simpler things).

The classic tutorial is to make a realistic donut. People even have donut-making competitions. :)

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-92/

EDnJe47U8AA0Dd9.jpg

Last edited:
Donheff - thanks for the post and the book reference. I used to draw a lot as a kid and bought the Apple Pencil and have just started doodling a bit. The book looks like a big help to get moving.

Back
Top Bottom