Dipping our toes into holiday lights

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My wife stumbled across addressable LEDs at the start of November and we bought a few (thousand) to put some holiday spirit on our unfinished house we are building. Can't do much work in 12 inches of snow anyway so why not! It is pretty simple this year but when we are done with the house it is pretty much going to light up the town. She did all of the work and has it sync'd to music being broadcast on FM from a legal low power transmitter (so if you are driving by you can tune your car to it to get sound with the lights). This way we don't piss off our new neighbors (as long as they are blind).

Next year, it is going to be a lot bigger!

Our neighborhood of historic 19th Century homes has traditionally been characterized by a single white candle in each window. However, some new young families have moved in over the past two years, and they have all gone with a single string of white lights swagged along the front porch in addition to the window candles. I must admit that it does brighten up the neighborhood. We may join them next year. But I don't think we'll ever see lights like yours.

Wow, that is really fun!
Thanks for posting.

Nice! how is the house going, are you in?

I wish. We have the roof on the main house and are doing some small work inside this winter on plumbing and electrical when it is not -12 F like it will be next week but we still have probably 8 or 9 months of work to go before we move in. Just takes forever for two old people to build a house, especially when they are engineers and refuse to do things in 1/4" accuracy and instead break out the calipers.

Good to hear from you, and I understand. My brother is more that way than I, we built a temporary porch for my sister's temporary travel trailer home and I had to keep reminding him of the temporary part. :)

Our neighborhood of historic 19th Century homes has traditionally been characterized by a single white candle in each window. However, some new young families have moved in over the past two years, and they have all gone with a single string of white lights swagged along the front porch in addition to the window candles. I must admit that it does brighten up the neighborhood. We may join them next year. But I don't think we'll ever see lights like yours.

Yes, we have gone with just (warm) white lights for years now (but quite a few strings). The colored lights and blow-ups are just too garish for my tastes. And the animation like in OP, well, OK, it's 'fun', but would drive me bonkers after 20 seconds.

To each their own, but I sure wouldn't want a light show like that visible through any window of our house.

-ERD50

Yeah, nothing historic about it. Just simple lights for a simple person in a simple house. But, I do feel like something needs to go up. Just wouldn’t feel right without a little outdoor Christmas lighting. Though, I have to admit that I like driving around the neighborhoods and seeing the work some folks do. Spectacular.

I like that and great job.

Yes, we have gone with just (warm) white lights for years now (but quite a few strings). The colored lights and blow-ups are just too garish for my tastes. And the animation like in OP, well, OK, it's 'fun', but would drive me bonkers after 20 seconds.

To each their own, but I sure wouldn't want a light show like that visible through any window of our house.

-ERD50

Heh, yeah but we only run it for an hour, then it is switched to a "old codger" mode where the lights are mostly whites with some reds and greens.

Heh, yeah but we only run it for an hour, then it is switched to a "old codger" mode where the lights are mostly whites with some reds and greens.

Yes, I meant to add, if the "show" was only on for a shorter period from time to time, that could be a nice break from the "old codger" :) mode. For me, a little goes a long way.

Merry Christmas!

-ERD50

This guy's house is about 4 miles away from me. He starts setting up in September. Every Christmas, there is a long line of cars slowly going past his house. It's fun to see, but I'm glad I'm not his next door neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom