Disowning a home

If you want to simply disown it, I believe you could file a quitclaim deed.

Pack your bags, load up the car, put kitty in her crate, head to the county office, file your quitclaim deed, and ride off into the sunset.

I do think the other ideas presented here are better ideas than the quitclaim deed....but if that's whatcha wanna do....

R

I'm a little shocked, saddened, and ashamed that none of my fellow generous forumites have offered to do the right thing. I'll take it off of your hands for free, and make sure to dispose of it properly. ;)

[ devilish laughter ] haahahahahaha $40,000 = 4 months closer to FIRE hahahahahaha [ / devilish laughter ]

I'm a little shocked, saddened, and ashamed that none of my fellow generous forumites have offered to do the right thing. I'll take it off of your hands for free, and make sure to dispose of it properly. ;)

[ devilish laughter ] haahahahahaha $40,000 = 4 months closer to FIRE hahahahahaha [ / devilish laughter ]

I heard Khan spotted thefed doing a driveby last night to check it out for his real estate empire!

Options:

1. Stay and stew over it for a few more years.

2. Sell it as is and do what you want with the money. I suggest moving out while it is for sale. Plenty apartments take cats. I've been looking for an apartment and have been surprised at how many are pet friendly.

3. Give it away to a worthy charity. Maybe they will help you move!

4. Tear it down, spending all sorts of money to do so, for no particularly good reason as the place will have value to someone.

5. Have it burnt down, if the fire department will take it. But then you missed out on the charitable giving opportunity. Unless you are so pissed off at the place that it is worth $40,000 to see it in flames.

You have been ticked off at this house for a while. Time to pick an option and do it.

Last edited:
If you want to simply disown it, I believe you could file a quitclaim deed.

Pack your bags, load up the car, put kitty in her crate, head to the county office, file your quitclaim deed, and ride off into the sunset.

I do think the other ideas presented here are better ideas than the quitclaim deed....but if that's whatcha wanna do....

R

The deed has to transfer to someone and that someone has to accept the deed. The closest to what you say is to let it forfeit for taxes. I didn't put it on my list because it usually takes a long time.

Sell the house and go to Puerto Vallarta for a year. You need a break.

Yeah baby. Night was the Iguana was set there. Khan needs some of those maraca shaking assistants like Ava Gardner had;)

Here's a suggestion a friend of mine gave me to pass on.

Turn it over to a property management company - they will screen the tenants, rent it out, collect payments, take care of maintenance, etc for ~10% of the rent payments. You'll collect ~90% of the rent and be able to set it up as investment property on a depreciation schedule, etc. Probably pay the rent on wherever you're going to go next...

Back
Top Bottom