Do I miss working?

NO.

Do not miss it.

I'm about 2 months in, and don't miss it a bit. I am thrilled to be at home, skip the commute and take the dog for a walk.

It seems to be weather-dependent for me. I left in July and had a glorious summer and early fall. I like building things and doing outdoor home improvements. We live in a very cold state and as soon as the first snow fell, I was instantly bored with being indoors. Now that I suddenly can’t do all the things I like, my mind has drifted to being productive in the right job setting. If I find a “He%% Yeah” situation, maybe I’ll talk to them. I’d need lots of flexibility and independence, however, so it’s a needle in the haystack.

Have you thought about moving?? :cool:

Living in the frozen north, we suffered from SAD and cabin fever for almost 8 months. We solved the boredom by moving to SE Arizona! As for the need to be productive, the long distance move has been a back-breaking amount of w*rk. Plus, having figure everything out and adapt to a new environment has been a healthy, although often exhausting, mental challenge.

Never did think about going back to paid w*rk. I do enough unpaid w*rk around here...:D

I actually thought I would have a hard time retiring, do to missing it. The one thing I never wanted to happen was that I was the oldest person still working with my company. I retired because I could, but I was one person away from being the oldest still there. Lol So, it I ever think I miss working, all I have to do is think about being the oldest person still there and missing work disappears immediately.

I much rather belong to the club of FIRE.

Heh, heh, we had a lady at Corp. HQ (I think she might have been an admin). She was 85 last I heard. Every few years, they would do a profile on her in the corporate "rag." One of my friends described seeing her at Corporate one day - shuffling along a hallway, carrying a stack of papers.

It wasn't for me, but I say "good on you" if that's what you want to do. My boss was going to stay to 65 but they changed the pension plan such that he would have actually received LESS had he stayed - long story. SO, he left a few years after I did.

I was starting to feel old - especially when I would attend Corp. training sessions. Folks would be giving a brief bio about their 5 years with the Corp. and here I was with over 30. There were shocked looks like "WOW!" I had a report who used to tease me because she was born the year I graduated from HS.

SO, yes, being "older" did make me feel a little strange from time to time. Still I claim I left "early" 'cause I was 58, not 65 but YMMV.

Heh, heh, we had a lady at Corp. HQ (I think she might have been an admin). She was 85 last I heard. Every few years, they would do a profile on her in the corporate "rag." One of my friends described seeing her at Corporate one day - shuffling along a hallway, carrying a stack of papers.

It wasn't for me, but I say "good on you" if that's what you want to do. My boss was going to stay to 65 but they changed the pension plan such that he would have actually received LESS had he stayed - long story. SO, he left a few years after I did.

I was starting to feel old - especially when I would attend Corp. training sessions. Folks would be giving a brief bio about their 5 years with the Corp. and here I was with over 30. There were shocked looks like "WOW!" I had a report who used to tease me because she was born the year I graduated from HS.

SO, yes, being "older" did make me feel a little strange from time to time. Still I claim I left "early" 'cause I was 58, not 65 but YMMV.

Great story! I also walked out the back door at age 58. I really did enjoy my job till the day I left thou.

I picked up a part time gig working at the local gym where I am a member. It's not the money but something to do a few days a week.

I retired twice. Once from the AF, and then civilian. In both cases I miss the coworkers. There is nothing like a flying squadron. I could have stayed there for a long time if it were not for the AF BS.

Not so much working per se, but I miss that windowless basement cubicle and, of course, annual performance reviews.

Not at All

Retired 6+ years now. Don't miss it in the least. Actually the only thing I miss is the pay, since I did well in sales. But with the time I spend investing, and the work I do around the house and outside that I would have paid others to do when working, our net worth is a good deal higher than when I left the workforce. Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom