Do they speak any English in Ho Chi Minh?

97guns

Full time employment: Posting here.
Taking my first trip to Vietnam soon and am just curious if anyone will understand English, taxi drivers or restaurants, we’re staying close to walking street so I’m assuming they speak some English there, any experience?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Do+they+speak+any+English+in+Ho+Chi+Minh

"While nearly all Saigonese speak the Vietnamese language, the Hoa speak a variety of Chinese dialects, including Cantonese and Hainanese. Very few Hoa, however, speak Mandarin. Due to the prevalence of tourism and commerce in Ho Chi Minh City, there are also a good deal of people speaking English as a second language."

We were there last year and had no difficulty in communicating in either English or hand gestures.

I have been there twice this year.
No, most do not speak English. However, people at hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, do speak English. Since you have been in Thailand, you should have no problem in Vietnam.

Mixed. Most people in the hospitality industry speak English. Many others can get by.

We spent a month doing spontaneous travel from the south to the north. We never had any real issues. People were wonderful. We were even able to use a little French with an older gentleman in a rural area.

It is a great time to go. Vietnam is changing.

I went in 2014 and 2017. The missus went in 2006 with her family, 2014 with me, and again with her family January this year.

Similar thoughts as above. English is not a problem in the hospitality areas. Hotel front desk staff speak good english from my experience. Restaurants/bars, particularly walking street, generally not an issue either. A lot of places will have an English menu. I didn't find taxi drivers having very good english but can get by with simple words (airport). To simplify transport communications, we used Uber in Saigon but they recent stopped operations. Recommend installing Grab (which we used successfully earlier this year in Bangkok where Uber also stopped operations). (And if you do use a taxi, I'd suggest trying to ensure it's a Mai Linh or Vinasun to reduce the risk of funny business.)

+1 wrt to french as a potential language option for some older residents.

In the span of the 3 years I went, I could notice things changing. But the missus can't believe the pace of change over the 10 years from her initial to most recent visit.

Taking my first trip to Vietnam soon and am just curious if anyone will understand English, taxi drivers or restaurants, we’re staying close to walking street so I’m assuming they speak some English there, any experience?

Yes, some do ! however be prepare for listening a heavy accent. you may have to use some "international language" which is hand gestures and try your best to read their mind. You need to ask them very slowly , they are shy and easy to shut-off if feel like not knowing what you are talking about ,be nice and patient.
the way they speak is most likely a translation from vietnamese to english. therefore , the grammars , the syntax....may give you a hard time to understand .however you could use smartphone google voice translation for a common conversation. It's fun ! try it.

Back
Top Bottom