Do you schedule your days?

I keep track of the weekends, so I can avoid going to stores or restaurants while they are mobbed with working people.

+1

When I retired, we agreed to not shop on weekends or around 5pm/6pm on weekdays - busy working people need those times to shop :LOL:

Yes, I write down on my calendar activities/events/volunteer times/gym appts, etc. if that’s what is meant by schedule. Or I just write down things I need to do such as go grocery shopping or get a haircut. Some days are pretty free from anything I need to be at or do. Some are full. Balance is key for me.

I don't no when the last time I set an alarm. lol Even when I worked there was no alarm clock set. I'm up at 430 to 530 so we never had an alarm clock.

I only set the alarm if I have a morning appointment. I never schedule any before 11. I have yoga class twice a week and a lunch/game day with friends. Other than that I am not scheduled.

A lack of schedule is wonderful. Even so, my wife and I have developed a routine in our 9 years of retirement. We both read the Bible almost every morning. We exercise almost every days walking, gym time, etc. 3 days or occasionally 4, I ride my bike for 30-35 miles. We nap most days and then I do yard work 3 or 4 days a week fro 4:00 to 6 or 7. But we aren't inflexible. I'm volunteering 3 mornings a week and then meet my wife at the gym. Dang, we're busy!

Yeah, I schedule my days. For example, I've scheduled tomorrow for tomorrow. And the next day is scheduled for day after tomorrow. I keep this up as I go along and it seems to work out fine.

Make your day one that helps others and you'll be grateful for the chance to improve their lives. You'll feel fulfilled and tired out--in a GOOD way. Be that helpful father, grampa, spouse, neighbor, or stranger. If you end up with free time, start a vegetable garden and donate its proceeds to a local food shelf. You might think "I worked hard for my retirement, and I want it to be about ME and MY goals." That's not going to get you where you'll be happy. You'll discover that you can't take it with you, and when you're gone folks won't miss you. Take care of others, and you'll find you've taken care of yourself.

Hi,
I have been retired since last September. It has been great but, I am finding that my days get consumed with "clutter tasks". By this I mean, things pop up that need to be done (non critical) or I get asked to do things, etc, never ending long term home projects, chores, etc. I find that I rarely have chunks of time where I can do what ever I want ... or do nothing.
Not what I expected in retirement. I am not complaining but, I am feeling like I don't have firm control over my free time. Has anyone else felt this?

Someone suggested I schedule daily chunks of time that are mine alone ... non-negotiable. Easier said than done. : )

Anyway, would love to hear from others on this. Thx.

OP, my mantra, Everyday is Saturday and Never do today what can be put off until tomorrow. I always have time to do what I want. I spent many years doing what others want now it is my time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try not to have my remaining time and freedom destroyed by overplanning (I didn't retire in order to spend more time running errands). I send myself an e-mail, which I update as needed (thank goodness, there aren't enough tasks to fill the whole calendar).

First, I try to pay whatever I can only once a year (ie, prepay it for the whole year). Monthly payments (like utilities and credit card) are automatic.

Second, third, fourth and fifth: the above mentioned e-mail to myself, containing list of stuff to do.

The top section of the list are the payments and appointments due this month. There are usually 2 to 4 items in this list (or sometimes nothing at all), and that is all I keep in mind, I do not clutter my brain with anything else.

The next section are the same financial, legal or healthcare errands expected not this month, but every month later this year. This is followed by list of certain things I know will come up (like signing up for Medicare, and then for Social Security) in the future years. Everything is listed chronologically (since the top lines of this second section become the first section every month).

The third section is the informal stuff I write down that I want to get to at some point (like books I want to read, or some items I want to buy, etc).

The last section is the list of all travel reservations, visas etc. for the next upcoming trip (that section is empty right now, since there are no trips).

That is all. Nothing else. I like to enjoy the freedom of my unstructured time.

Last edited:
I put a list of things I would like to get done that week....I usually have only 5-7 clients and my husband has 1-2 inspections. The rest of the time is spent taking care of the house, the yard, a couple of hikes, some diy project, couple of dinners with friends, etc.
If I didn't do this, we would end up in pj's and Law and Order SVU marathon :LOL:

I think a lot of things, tasks, etc. get overlooked, neglected, put off while we are busy working a job and balancing family. So I think it's normal to have clutter tasks become more apparent after slowing down. There's always something that COULD be done... perhaps in little time, all that will work itself out.

I don't schedule anything unless it's something that just has to be done or unless I'm planning to go out of town. Plan a lunch with a friend maybe and decide when it's best to mow the grass, but otherwise, I go by how I feel. I do as little scheduling as possible, lol.

No.

That's not to say I don't have a calendar where I schedule appointments, medication for the dog, etc. But that's as far as it goes.

+1. As for the "fun me time," I play table tennis on Tuesday afternoons at the senior center (there are some really good players there!) and usually take time during the day to ride my new electric bike maybe 12-15 miles and/or walk/run. Since winter is now approaching I'll need to find another way to keep in shape, so I'm currently looking for a gym to join. I also drive military vets to appointments and such and occasionally during the week I'll get asked to provide a ride or two. It's good to keep in mind that you can always say "no" if you'd like.

Reading through these posts reminds me how much I value having large chunks of unscheduled time for reading. Paper books, preferably, because e-books tend to keep my mind going in a way paper books do not.

Otherwise I have one active pursuit scheduled each morning- hiking on Wed and Saturday, kayaking on Monday, long distance bicycling on Tue & Friday, bridge on Thurs. Multiple hours gone out if the house, after which I'm ready to slow down the remainder of the day and focus on tasks and chores, plus practice guitar and read. Mixed in there is also some volunteer work for a couple of organizations I feel great passion for, so the time I give is a pleasure not a chore.

Our social life is very robust, so pretty much from Friday afternoon through Sunday we have lots of scheduled activities and dineouts. Mon-Thursday is when we recover, Mondays in particular. Tuesdays actually involve more social dineouts for a variety of reasons, but primarily because its Members Night at a local winery we belong to.

Like OP, however, we'll drop everything for family. Happily.

I've learned to be protective of my time in the 10 years we've been FIRE'd. Learned the hard way, unfortunately, but I guess thats always the case.

I'm a list maker and event tracker. I use the Reminders and Calendar apps on my phone to keep track of what I want to get done and appointments/tasks that are set for specific dates/times. I find it helpful to just make an entry when I think of something. Then, while I'm out and about or at the store I can check my lists to see what I need to get or do. It helps me stay on track and I get a sense of accomplishment each time I check an item off the list. Even when it's just... [X] Buy toilet paper

Sometimes, my list items have times/dates associated with them. But I usually put those items on my calendar.

I have 5 different lists in my Reminders app.

1. Reminders - basic things that need to get done at some point
2. Groceries - stuff to buy at the store
3. Mom - things I need to do for my mother
4. Long Term - Info that I don't want to forget or want with me after leaving the house, i.e. Garage Door Code
5. Retirement Things - chores and things to do now that I'm retired, i.e. line the closet shelves

#4 and #5 don't change much and I also don't seem to be doing much to shorten #5, but maybe some day.

...Learned the hard way, unfortunately, but I guess thats always the case.

Everything I know how to do well is a consequence of having botched it the first time I tried.

I use the computer calendar to help me remember Dr appt, payment dates, special events, birthdays, etc. But the only time I schedule time for myself is for my early morning rides as the sun comes up over the ocean. Otherwise any free time is mine. And there seems to be quite a lot of time for me to play.

Cheers!

DW and I both retired at the same time 3 years ago. On year one, we traveled a lot: 5 cruises, 2 trips to Europe, 4 trips to Asia.

Then pandemic hit. For the past 2 years, we enrolled in a local community college for zoom classes everyday: yoga, aerobic classes in the mornings; art, music classes in the afternoons.

Once travel is safe, we will resume doing the trips.

Back
Top Bottom