Documenting Medicare Premium Payments

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My former employer funds a HRA that reimburses me for some medical expenses each year. One qualifying expense is health insurance premiums. In order to get my money, I have to document the period of coverage, the amount billed and proof that I paid.

Does anyone know how to get this information off the Medicare or SS websites in a format to satisfy the HRA gods? TIA

The SSA sends you a yearly letter informing of your benefit amount and stating how much will be withheld for Medicare premiums. Isn’t that good enough?

If you have an online Medicare account there is a place you can see the Medicare premiums paid for the year, you could print that out.

At the end of the year SS sends a 1099 that shows what you have paid for Medicare for the year.

Thanks for the replies, they jogged my memory. At the SS site there is a place to request a letter of benefits which includes deductions for Medicare premiums. The "letter" is available instantly, electronically.

The SSA sends you a yearly letter informing of your benefit amount and stating how much will be withheld for Medicare premiums. Isn’t that good enough?

It also sends you a 1099 each Jan which documents the amount withheld for Medicare premiums.

Thanks for the replies, they jogged my memory. At the SS site there is a place to request a letter of benefits which includes deductions for Medicare premiums. The "letter" is available instantly, electronically.

At the end of the year SS sends a 1099 that shows what you have paid for Medicare for the year.

Does anyone have the direct links to get Medicare/SSA docs? I'm trying to get my 1099 and 1095 and some documentation of premium amounts (which I see on a web page, but I can't seem to get them in a pdf "letter". One of these forms showed up on my USPS "informed delivery" emails, but never made it to my mailbox.

I found this page of instructions, but those "Overview" links on the right don't appear on my home page! They must have updated their site, but not the instructions! A search of the site for "replacement documents" only puts me in a circle back to the old instructions. Arghhhh!!!

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-SSA-1099.html

-ERD50

Go to your MySocialSecurity account. Click on Replacement Documenta. Scroll down to the SS 1099.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 17
Go to your MySocialSecurity account. Click on Replacement Documenta. Scroll down to the SS 1099.

Those are the instructions I found, but those links do not appear on my home page, that's the problem.

Do you see those links if you sign in?

-ERD50

Those are the instructions I found, but those links do not appear on my home page, that's the problem.

Do you see those links if you sign in?

-ERD50

Yes. It's right there on my screen shots. I was logged into my account. Do you not see the links I boxed in Red?

Does anyone have the direct links to get Medicare/SSA docs? I'm trying to get my 1099 and 1095 and some documentation of premium amounts (which I see on a web page, but I can't seem to get them in a pdf "letter". One of these forms showed up on my USPS "informed delivery" emails, but never made it to my mailbox.

I found this page of instructions, but those "Overview" links on the right don't appear on my home page! They must have updated their site, but not the instructions! A search of the site for "replacement documents" only puts me in a circle back to the old instructions. Arghhhh!!!

-ERD50

Are you getting Medicare only and not claiming SS yet? If you don't get SS benefits, you don't get a 1099-SSA. You would need to request a benefit verification letter instead to show the Medicare payments. However, that's also supposed to be under Replacement Docs, so if you don't see that link, I don't know what else to tell you other than to call SS or visit your local office (they've mostly reopened). https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/proof-of-benefits.html

If you need a 1095, that means that you or a family member was on an ACA plan for at least part of the year. To get that doc, login to your account on the exchange where you purchased the insurance. It might be a state exchange or healthcare.gov.

-ERD50

I'm accessing through MySSA https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

https://secure.ssa.gov/mySSA/docs gets me to my 1099

https://secure.ssa.gov/iBEVE/start?cyb has a link gets me to a PDF of my letter

omni

Are you getting Medicare only and not claiming SS yet? If you don't get SS benefits, you don't get a 1099-SSA. You would need to request a benefit verification letter instead to show the Medicare payments. However, that's also supposed to be under Replacement Docs, so if you don't see that link, I don't know what else to tell you other than to call SS or visit your local office (they've mostly reopened). https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/proof-of-benefits.html

If you need a 1095, that means that you or a family member was on an ACA plan for at least part of the year. To get that doc, login to your account on the exchange where you purchased the insurance. It might be a state exchange or healthcare.gov.

Thanks, that must be it, I am not collecting SS yet.

I don't know that I *need( a 1095, but I've got them in previous years (from my insurer), and the tax software asks you to enter it.

I was able to get the verification letter, but that does not show a $ amount. The HRA people really make you jump through hoops, a few years ago, they insisted that the screenshot for my proof of insurance include the companies *logo*, even though I had included the full url in the screenshot. Hey, I have no control what the ins company puts ona page. I was finally able to get it, but had to shrink the screen to almost unreadable size to get some logo at the very bottom. it's crazy and frustrating.

Here's my screenshot, for ref:

-ERD50

Attachments

• MY_SCREEN_NO_LINKS_TO_DOCS_.png
    MY_SCREEN_NO_LINKS_TO_DOCS_.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks, that must be it, I am not collecting SS yet.

I don't know that I *need( a 1095, but I've got them in previous years (from my insurer), and the tax software asks you to enter it.

I was able to get the verification letter, but that does not show a $ amount. The HRA people really make you jump through hoops, a few years ago, they insisted that the screenshot for my proof of insurance include the companies *logo*, even though I had included the full url in the screenshot. Hey, I have no control what the ins company puts ona page. I was finally able to get it, but had to shrink the screen to almost unreadable size to get some logo at the very bottom. it's crazy and frustrating.

Here's my screenshot, for ref:

-ERD50

You may have to contact the HRA to find out what proof they'd accept from someone who's on Medicare but not SS. Good luck! It sounds like they're tough to deal with.

For the 1095, I was thinking you meant a 1095-A that shows your advance premium tax credits. If you didn't get health insurance through the marketplace, then you don't need a 1095 to file your return. Insurance providers other than Medicare send 1095-Bs and corporations send 1095-Cs, but since the individual mandate penalty went away, there's no need to enter anything on a Fed return to prove you had insurance. Your state may still have a penalty, but even so, there should be a way to say you had Medicare and bypass the need for a 1095.

edit: What does that link that says "Print / Save a letter proving you receive or do not receive Social Security Benefits (PDF)" do? Does that show your Medicare premiums?

Last edited:

edit: What does that link that says "Print / Save a letter proving you receive or do not receive Social Security Benefits (PDF)" do? Does that show your Medicare premiums?

I had already downloaded that, but no, just that I am currently enrolled, no premium info.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom