does age matter with home and auto insurance?

YES - age matters. Statistically after a certain age, you are more likely to be in a traffic accident.
It may come to a point where you may find that the cost of owning/maintaining the car, including insurance is a LOT more expensive than just taking public transportation, including taxi/Uber/Lyft when you need it.

I just turned 77, & got my policy renewal (home/auto/etc.). So I pulled out renewals for the past 3 years, & was pleasantly surprised that there was zero change in my policy price! Of course everything is through USAA, which I've had for 49 years, but still....

I ran into a problem insuring my new home recently, because a wood stove is installed in the basement (and I have no intention of using it!). I found another company and got the policy. I was shocked at how low the price was - it's a new company. As I carried on about the low price, the agent allowed as how the small company might be trying to recruit many new insureds because most of their policies thus far were in wildfire country.

It seems likely that the fires, floods, and hurricanes are stressing bigger companies to the point where they are raising prices. I've read that they are starting to exclude natural disasters from coverage.

I just quickly checked an underwriting manual from one of the large national carriers, think Red Umbrella, and could not find any age restriction that would preclude a 77 year old from obtaining new coverage.

I'd only be speculating as to why 2 agents said they couldn't quote you and the third never called you back.

Im 40 and agents wont call me back. Texas. PErfect driving record. Last cop I talked to was in college. No other blemishes.

Same for 3 tax accountants I called. 1 called me back. 1 other promised he would and didnt. 3rd I never heard from.

Im 40 and agents wont call me back. Texas. .
Unfortunately a sign of the times. I'm sorry you aren't getting any help. Everywhere I hear people just don't want to work. Makes me crazy. I've never not returned a clients or prospects call, even if I know I can't (or won't) help them. Such a simple personal courtesy, returning the call.

I ran into a problem insuring my new home recently, because a wood stove is installed in the basement (and I have no intention of using it!). I found another company and got the policy. I was shocked at how low the price was - it's a new company. As I carried on about the low price, the agent allowed as how the small company might be trying to recruit many new insureds because most of their policies thus far were in wildfire country.

It seems likely that the fires, floods, and hurricanes are stressing bigger companies to the point where they are raising prices. I've read that they are starting to exclude natural disasters from coverage.

Well I hope for your sake that this new insurance company you found doesn't operate like most cable, telephone, internet, etc.....companies. Give the good deals to the new customers to lure them in and then jack up the prices later on.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom