Does this chart indicate anything unsettling to you?

It's not clear what you're saying about the RV industry.

Yes, the retail market is up right now, but it (and the marine industry) both suck business wise. The downturn in the market of 2008 took out many, many RV dealerships and there are relatively few dealerships in most of the U.S.

As far as the companies: There are relatively few manufacturers traded on the open stock market. Forest River is another Berkshire Company, and they're a giant. Hedge funds also own a number of "private" companies.

I have a year old fifth wheel trailer, and we keep it stored in the mountains. We are seeing a turnover of campers, with many dying off and younger families coming into the RV world.

I still cannot get over so many people selling their houses and personal belongings to hit the road full time for a few years in RV's. They're very brave people. And I never hear one bad word online about the "full timer" lifestyle.

Beaver cheese... Never heard of it but my Magic 8 Ball says "You may rely on it" so it goes on the list! :)

That's an old joke on the forum, I think started by Brewer. A balm for tinfoil hat times. :)
Did you ever see the Magic 8 ball app for smartphones? We entertained ourselves for far too long with it.

They actually did laugh at Warren Buffet for awhile. Remember when he had lost touch with new economy because he wouldn't invest in hot technology stocks? Yep, old Warren had really lost his touch back then.... :LOL:

It's not clear what you're saying about the RV industry.

Really only that, since the 1970s, peak times for the RV industry is one little data point that correlates nicely with recessions within a year or two thereafter. Others are saying correlation is not causation and why they believe this time is different or that there are no data points at all that can ever under any circumstances provide clues about the future. I, however, think the business cycle is real and that, for many decades, recessions have happened consistently every 8 years on average and last an average of about 18 months. I think we're getting due for one while others here do not think so or prefer not to guess, which is fine. I think it's ok to enjoy watching the big ol' economy gyrate and guestimate where it is going next, without necessarily messing with one's portfolio in response or putting grandma's nest egg long in beaver cheese futures (Hee! That's a keeper. For this recession, gimme a load a pork bellies with a side of beaver cheese). That's entertainment, I suppose.

Last edited:
I think it may be like toe jam, only different. But what do I know? And why is there a futures market for it?

Beaver cheese... Never heard of it but my Magic 8 Ball says "You may rely on it" so it goes on the list! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that this time it's different.

Attachments

• venezuelan_beaver_cheese_by_crazycanadianbeast.jpg
    venezuelan_beaver_cheese_by_crazycanadianbeast.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom