Does Travel REALLY Make People Interesting?

It's okay if you don't like to travel, tango. Neither does W2R, and she's good with that. If everyone did, then the planes would be too crowded for us to get good deals on award travel!

+1 You're right - - although I traveled extensively when I was younger (not by choice), these days I don't like to travel either. It is wonderful to have the freedom to stay in one place and establish a home.

Some of the most interesting people, to me, are those who have lived in one place all of their lives and know everything about that place, the people there, the customs, the history, the skeletons in the closets, the rumors, where the bodies are buried, and so on. For example, some of the New Orleans Irish Channel "yats"* are incredibly fascinating and I have listened to them for hours and could listen for many hours more. The stories they can tell about the old days here! Whew.

*the word "yat" describes a type of (usually) lower middle class native New Orleanian, with a certain Brooklyn-ese type accent. It comes from their propensity to say, "Where y'at?" instead of how are you, and that is usually followed by "Hows yo mama and dem?" even if they don't give a hoot about your mother. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom