Dr. Pimple Popper

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone watched the TV series “Dr. Pimple Popper”?

It’s a show where people with serious body deformities go to visit Dr. Sandra Lee, a dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon. The show gives a profile on the individuals seeking treatment, and then they proceed to show Dr. Lee performing surgery on the individual to remove the various bumps, lumps, or other deformities from their body. The camera gets right in close so you see the surgery being performed, blood, gore and all.

I’m one of those people who can’t even stand to watch somebody getting a shot. So when the show first aired, I tried watching a few minutes of it and then had to turn it off. After a while I became desensitized to it, and now the show fascinates me.

I still cringe when she cuts their skin open with a scalpel, but I’ve learned a lot from watching the series.

So, is this a health topic or tv series discussion?

Always two questions: how did someone get to this point without effective treatment?

AND

How much disgusting goo is IN that thing??

Can be hard to look at but hard to look away.

I'm into organ transplants and joint implants....much more civilized than cutting gory stuff.

DW watches this show. Occasionally, I go upstairs close to bedtime and she is watching it on DVR. I'm unable to watch the gory stuff, so stay focused on my eReader 'til I nod off.

I've watched a few of her YouTube videos. After you've seen a few giant zits being squeezed, you've seen 'em all.

However, I still can't bring myself to watch video of a knee replacement, probably because I had the procedure a few months ago. It completely gives me the willies when I realize the same thing was done to me. The moment the scalpel cuts into the flesh over the knee, I have to look away. Watching humongous zits being squeezed is child's play by comparison!

I've watched a few of her YouTube videos. After you've seen a few giant zits being squeezed, you've seen 'em all.

However, I still can't bring myself to watch video of a knee replacement, probably because I had the procedure a few months ago. It completely gives me the willies when I realize the same thing was done to me. The moment the scalpel cuts into the flesh over the knee, I have to look away. Watching humongous zits being squeezed is child's play by comparison!
Hah! That's funny, I clearly remember being a young teen in the early 80s and watching a knee replacement surgery on TV with fascination when cable was a brand new thing, and that's when I first recognized my interest in medicine.:popcorn:
So yes, now I do watch Dr. Pimple Popper, too! :D

DW watches it, but it grosses/creeps me out. When I come into the living room, DW usually changes to a different channel.

I haven't seen it but I know a guy that does. He told me about the show or I wouldn't of known about it. He likes it.

Last edited:
I have watched and enjoyed it, I'm fascinated by most medical type shows.
Those include the 600 lb weight loss show, Dr. G the coroner show, the plastic surgery shows. We got rid of cable about 3-1/2 years ago, so I don't see them as much as I used to.

I've seen a couple episodes. What I don't understand is how these people that seek out her help didn't do something about their condition SOONER.

I mean, my god, you've got a grapefruit sized boil on your left shoulder. D'ya think ya might want to have a doctor check it out, I don't know, maybe when it was the size of a golf ball? A tennis ball?

I've seen a couple episodes. What I don't understand is how these people that seek out her help didn't do something about their condition SOONER.

I mean, my god, you've got a grapefruit sized boil on your left shoulder. D'ya think ya might want to have a doctor check it out, I don't know, maybe when it was the size of a golf ball? A tennis ball?

Yes, I think many viewers have the same question. My guess is that in at least some cases they went to see a doctor who told them that they were not in danger, so any procedure to remove the bumps would be deemed cosmetic and therefore not covered by insurance. So economics may be the main factor for them.

Many of them either were told by other doctors that there was nothing that could be done, or they had it treated and it came back, which understandably made them think another procedure might not help any more than the first. But the rest I think are mostly just afraid of the unknown, an extremely common and human thing.

My question with these types of show is, how can people's pride allow them to show themselves to the world like that?

Especially the 600+ pound people, whose suffering is so pitiful to see. There is always a scene of the person barely able to lift their legs and smush themselves into a car for the doctor's visit. Then, the doctor is shown scolding these people for eating what they shouldn't, and not losing weight (or even gaining it).

These, to me, are incredibly private matters. Not for the rest of the world to indulge in schadenfreude. I have only seen a few episodes, at other people's homes.

I also feel this way about the people who yell and scream at each other over child support, adultery, and so on. How can they stand to reveal their natures to the world like that?

At first I assumed that the participants are being paid well, but I read somewhere that they only get about $1,000.00.

I think the show producers cover the medical costs. For many, that could be the only reason for going on the show. It is sad to think about exposing your often painful deformity to public view, as your only means of getting help.

?

Yes, I do watch Dr PP. It is one of the TLC shows I like, along with the wedding dress shopping ones.
I do not like many of the others--the 600 lb, the 90 day fiancé, etc.

Although I haven't watched one in years, I used to love the chef battles. There was one called Master Chef on BBC that we watched when we lived in the UK. The food was fascinating, and the chefs put on a (probably genuine) show of nervousness, that I could identify with :)

Yes, I do watch Dr PP. It is one of the TLC shows I like, along with the wedding dress shopping ones.
I do not like many of the others--the 600 lb, the 90 day fiancé, etc.

Back
Top Bottom