Driving school

Scout

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone attended on of these many driving schools across the country whether it be rally or track racing? I’ve been researching the O’Neal rally school and of course skip barbers.

Anyone attended on of these many driving schools across the country whether it be rally or track racing? I’ve been researching the O’Neal rally school and of course skip barbers.
I raced SCCA for almost 15 years, was our region's chief instructor for a couple of years and wrote a fairly successful book. I had two stints at the Bertil Roos when Bertil was still running it. Basic and Advanced.

It was worth the money for me but what I learned is that most students at these schools are tourists who have no intention of ever actually racing. One of my funniest moments was when a tourist complained to me about passing him going into a corner that was supposedly "his." He would have been terrified in an actual race.

So I would quiz any school about the tourist issue. If you're a tourist (nothing wrong with that) go for a tourist school. If you're serious, look for a serious school. IMO the latter will be hard to find but I am not in touch with that market any more.

Quite a few years ago I attended the two-day Bridgestone Winter Driving School at Steamboat Springs, Colo. It was basically a winter rally school, but I came away with useful knowledge I could apply to day-to-day winter driving. Also, the low traction on ice gave a feel of the physics of performance driving at much higher speeds.

The following winter I found a couple opportunities to drive in winter autocrosses on frozen lakes in my area. I became a regular participant for quite a few years.

In college, I watched my roommate go through SCCA licensures, and he eventually ended up with his National License. He started off in Formula Fords and ended up in a B Sports Racer which is a very fast class.

My roomie quit racing for many years, and later opened a Miata race car shop in Florida with dyno's and the whole works. He campaigned two very competitive Miatas for many years.

My Facebook is full of people I went to high school and college with. His Facebook has famous race car drivers, including many that race or have raced Indycar.

If you want to go to a racing school, go to one that issues credentials so you can race a specific class of car. In other words, don't go to the Richard Petty Driving Experience if you want to drive a rally car in Europe.

Scout may be advanced past this point, but the sports car clubs in my area each schedule two or three driving schools a year for a fraction of the cost of a skip barber or other professional school. Even if you have track experience, a club school can help you get familiar with a track if you haven't done a lot of laps there.

Thanks everyone
You’ve given me some options I haven’t thought of previously. I would probably he considered the tourist as mentioned, but I have a lot more time on my hands now so I hope to find a somewhat immersive experience to go to the next level.
I appreciate it

Thanks everyone
You’ve given me some options I haven’t thought of previously. I would probably he considered the tourist as mentioned, but I have a lot more time on my hands now so I hope to find a somewhat immersive experience to go to the next level.
I appreciate it
Hey, nothing wrong with being a tourist. You'll have a blast. Actually, I have never driven what we used to call "big door cars." I have daydreamed about going to one of those NASCAR door car schools just to see what they are like. 100% tourist.

I think most of the commercial schools have sessions with a name like "skid car," "slide car," etc. That experience will apply directly to street card driving, particularly in ice, snow, and rain. Good schools will also emphasize your eyes/where to look. That, too, is directly applicable to street driving.

Re club schools, at our region's club schools entry fees are cheap but you have to come with a legal and safe car for the class you'll run plus all the driver safety equipment; suit, helmet, etc. With the commercial schools borrowing all of that is in the fee.

I have not done any car driving schools but have done multiple motorcycle rider schools and track days.

I tell people that I learned more in the first school than I did 10 years riding on the street.

GO FOR IT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom