Drug Expiration Dates

MBAustin

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Very interesting article about drug expiration dates and the unnecessary waste caused by enforcing them strictly:

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-myth-of-drug-expiration-dates

On a personal level, after reading this, I will probably keep OTC items for a while past their printed expiration date now rather than immediately dispose of them. But it does look like an opportunity to reduce costs in the healthcare system as a whole without reducing the level of care provided.

We routinely keep prescriptions months or years past their expiration date, and when we've used them they were still effective more often than not. The worst that can happen if you take a drug beyond it's date would be that it will no longer be effective, and we'll have to see our GP and get a new prescription. Are there any drugs that somehow become harmful past their expiration date? I assume no...in which case there's no risk of ill effect, just no effect. And if there is a drug that becomes harmful after expiration, I suspect that's VERY clearly communicated by doctors, pharmacists and labeling. YMMV

Last edited:
The article said that most drugs tested retain 90% or more of their potency long past their printed dates and they didn't mention any that became toxic. One major exception to this was albuterol (common asthma drug).

Very interesting article. I don't toss anything that's been kept indoors at reasonable temperatures, but I do occasionally get rid of the expired OTC meds from my travel kit. I don't think expired immodium or benadryl is likely to hurt us, but I'm concerned that they might be less effective after whatever they go through in checked luggage.

I have some Dramamine that expired 03/17and will be on an Alaskan cruise the beginning of 08/17. I told my DH that I was going to finish it before opening the new Dramamine that I bought. He told me that he did not think that I should do this. After reading this article, I am definitely going to finish it. I also had DH read this and he was shaking his head.

I have some Dramamine that expired 03/17and will be on an Alaskan cruise the beginning of 08/17. I told my DH that I was going to finish it before opening the new Dramamine that I bought. He told me that he did not think that I should do this. After reading this article, I am definitely going to finish it. I also had DH read this and he was shaking his head.

I dont think your taking too much of a gamble, but since you have the fresh one , Id use it first, if you run out then use the old one as a back up. I dont hoard old medicines. But if for some reason I have left over antibiotics , and I feel a sore throat coming on, Ill pop 2 of them till I can get to a DR. for a look see, and possible a new prescription.

Wife's friend is a pharmacist so we'll ask her about oddball expired stuff.
For the stuff we've asked her about the answer has generally been that we'll find the drugs to be slightly less potent; could be more wimpier depending on exposure to light, temperature, etc. Please don't take as gospel though.

Last edited:

So funny..... I find I'm commonly using something that expired 2 years ago..

I will often keep rarely used drugs (codeine & hydrocodone ) in the fridge to preserve them longer.

We did just buy a new bottle of immodium (generic) and seasick pills as the old ones were 8 years old, and it was incredibly cheap at Walmart/Sam's something like 2 cents per pill or less.

So funny..... I find I'm commonly using something that expired 2 years ago..

I will often keep rarely used drugs (codeine & hydrocodone ) in the fridge to preserve them longer.

We did just buy a new bottle of immodium (generic) and seasick pills as the old ones were 8 years old, and it was incredibly cheap at Walmart/Sam's something like 2 cents per pill or less.

Why do you think keeping them in the refrigerator would make them last longer?

Sunset. Please know that many medications are stable at room temperature and excessive cold may harm them. At least look up recommendations for this to check

The Air Force study, back in the 1980's made sense to us, so we don't and haven't thrown out any except capsule liquid drugs for many, many years. It was only this spring, that I finally ran out of the gout drug colchicine from 1990. (Then price about $.05 each... Renewal was $5.38 each last month.)

We have about 20 old prescriptions going back up to 20+ years... most solid tablets, and kept in a cool place. The "pain" pills have lost some effect, but still work.

Have had a number of blood pressure, pre-diabetes and statin drugs over the past ten years, but blood tests say they're not needed any longer... all numbers on my blood panel are low or normal, so have turned them over to friends who still use them. No problems.

Some other prescriptions were prescribed for short term dental, rash, itch and stuff like that.

The one I'd like to see some testing and honesty about is the epi-pen. One year life span. Expensive for a family with kids, where pens are needed at school, in the car, and at home...

My doctor is pretty smart and straight arrow, When I tell him of my frugal habit, he doesn't say it's okay, but he doesn't tell me not to do it...

It's just what we do... not recommending one way or another. Doesn't take too many prescriptions to add up to a few thousand dollars/yr, even with Plan D insurance.

The other part of the drug costs involve drugs that are set up for renewal, but are never adjusted, when the problem resolves.

Am thinking that along with a number of other studies of pharma practices, that this should be high priority.

Inorganic materials that aren't radioactive are pretty dang stable. Net, I don't even look at expirations. To me, it's a con game by drug companies & lawyers. Good example of why our health care costs are high.

I keep meds past exp date all the time. As long as they are intact and don't have an "off" smell, I will take them as needed. They are kept in our hall closet, so a cool and dark place.
So far, no side effects!

I have taken some of the pain meds that are more than 5 years old and they work pretty darn well as best as I can tell. But, since I only take these strong meds maybe once every 6-9 months, I have a very low tolerance so even if not 100% effective, they are effective enough for me.

If it's a liquid medicine, I am not as keen as keeping them around more than a couple of years.

Why do you think keeping them in the refrigerator would make them last longer?

I've kept certain valuable prescription meds in my little wine fridge for several years. It's only about 10° colder than room temperature, as opposed to the fridge being like 30° colder. I figure it's better than having them sit out in my house where the temperature varies so much between summer and winter -- especially in the summer when indoor temps can get to the high 70s. This seems to work pretty well, as those meds kept in the wine fridge are just as potent (IMHO) as they were initially, even after 2-3 years. It just makes sense to me that drugs kept at 55-60° would remain more stable and last longer than those kept at higher, less consistent temps.

I've kept certain valuable prescription meds in my little wine fridge for several years. It's only about 10° colder than room temperature, as opposed to the fridge being like 30° colder. I figure it's better than having them sit out in my house where the temperature varies so much between summer and winter -- especially in the summer when indoor temps can get to the high 70s. This seems to work pretty well, as those meds kept in the wine fridge are just as potent (IMHO) as they were initially, even after 2-3 years. It just makes sense to me that drugs kept at 55-60° would remain more stable and last longer than those kept at higher, less consistent temps.

I keep mine in the fridge, these are solid pills not liquids, I admit I never looked up longevity storage of them but that is not in the interest of the manufacturer to be telling that.

I picked the fridge as I have one, and it seemed better than our house which over a year varies from 62 to 85 F with variation in humidity as well.

The fridge does slow down food rot, so I just generalized that to solid pills.

Sunset. Please know that many medications are stable at room temperature and excessive cold may harm them. At least look up recommendations for this to check

I did, and an admittedly quick search suggests that heat and humidity are the worst offenders.
Freezing is also very bad for insulin or suspension liquids, which seems pretty obvious to me if you have ever frozen milk (yech).

They recommend the room temp no go over 86F which is a problem for us.

"Pharmaceutical manufacturers recommend most of their products be stored at a controlled room temperature of 68 to 77 degrees, said Skye McKennon, clinical assistant professor at the University of Washington School of Pharmacy. In truth, that is the range in which manufacturers guarantee product integrity. Anywhere from 58 to 86 degrees is still fine, she said."
Storage Temperature May Affect Medication - The New York Times

It would have been great to find out if a fridge is better than a hot room, and why cold of a fridge is too cold (if it is too cold) ?

Thanks for the article. I have usually kept pills for about one year past their date (pain meds mainly as I rarely use as many as prescribed). Now I'll hang onto them longer with more confidence at least some benefit remains, perhaps quite a lot actually.

Very interesting article about drug expiration dates and the unnecessary waste caused by enforcing them strictly:

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-myth-of-drug-expiration-dates

On a personal level, after reading this, I will probably keep OTC items for a while past their printed expiration date now rather than immediately dispose of them. But it does look like an opportunity to reduce costs in the healthcare system as a whole without reducing the level of care provided.

DW is a frequent healthcare user and her doctors have had no issue with us maintaining supplies of infrequently used (and expired) meds for years past the expiration date. These include barbiturates and phenergan suppositories (refrigerated). It's no issue for most meds I'm told.

My dad was a pharmacist, and we were raised on expired drugs. He couldn't sell them past date, so we had a seriously major drug stash at home. If I had been interested in them or known their street value, my teenage years could have been very different. But I wasn't, and to this day, I loathe any medications, and have to be very sick before I'll consider taking any pill.

My dad was a pharmacist, and we were raised on expired drugs. He couldn't sell them past date, so we had a seriously major drug stash at home. If I had been interested in them or known their street value, my teenage years could have been very different. But I wasn't, and to this day, I loathe any medications, and have to be very sick before I'll consider taking any pill.

A friend from w*rks father was a pharmacist...he used to bring me bottles of expired vitamins, ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc.

Inorganic materials that aren't radioactive are pretty dang stable. Net, I don't even look at expirations. To me, it's a con game by drug companies & lawyers. Good example of why our health care costs are high.

Most drugs are not inorganic materials. Only a few drugs are salts (lithium chloride) and some antacids. But most antacids are flavored, and the flavorings are organic.

I can identify with your experience. My dad was a baker, we were raised on bread and cakes which were past their sell by date. Back in the day these baked goods stayed on the shelf much longer so they were pretty stale by the time we got them, in fact the bread seemed to be imprevious to butter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom