Dry Eye Syndrome - tips?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I was recently diagnosed with a milde/ moderate case of dry eye syndrome. I have found that eye drops containing hyaluronic acid seem to help best with the discomfort after a long day of reading or not reading (sometimes).

I would like to add some warmth to the eyelid area, can any of you recommend an eye compress type of thingie?
The eye doctor wants to sell overpriced eye masks, lol. I mean OVERPRICED. They don't appear special in any way. If I was the crafty type, I might even able to fashioned one from materials.

Any tips from those who deal with this? what works for you?

Monitoring this thread. I recently have been having problems too.

And a doctor selling an overpriced device? I'm shocked I tell ya. SHOCKED!

Yes. There are some really good ones online.

One type looks like a mask with large eye coverings. Heatable pellets inside. Microwave a few seconds. They work really well.

Another type looks similar but heats using a USB type cable like a computer.

Either type you can "mist" with a spray bottle to provide moisture before heating.

Another little trick if you have crusty eyes like in the morning or before bed is to wash them with baby shampoo or Occusoft.

Hope these work for you.

Yes. There are some really good ones online.

One type looks like a mask with large eye coverings. Heatable pellets inside. Microwave a few seconds. They work really well.

Another type looks similar but heats using a USB type cable like a computer.

Either type you can "mist" with a spray bottle to provide moisture before heating.

Another little trick if you have crusty eyes like in the morning or before bed is to wash them with baby shampoo or Occusoft.

Hope these work for you.

Love this from Amazon for my eyes - Burt’s Bees Foaming Baby Shampoo & Wash

https://www.burtsbees.com/product/burts-bees-baby-shampoo-wash-foaming/

Last edited:
I occasionally use eye drops, but If I don't warm them up to body* temperature they are harsh on my eye, at body temperature I hardly feel them. I would like to have a warmer, but I don't think storing eye drops at body temp is a good idea. My concern would be harmful bacteria or virus that are optimized to grow at body temperature.
Your thoughts?

* I hold the bottle under my arm until it warms.

Here's a site that says store them below room temperature and then recommends the fridge, (for most drops), but not for the reason I'm concerned about, Contaminant growth.https://www.nanyang.com.sg/blog/how-keeping-your-eye-drops-in-the-fridge-can-help-your-vision

I do like the idea of individual vials.

But then there is this, https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...call-artificial-tears-lubricant-eye-drops-due

I should not show this much concern as I often don't take out my contacts 30+ days.

Last edited:
My optometrist just told me to put a warm washcloth over my eyes for a few minutes each evening.

I started using Ocusoft Plus about 6 months ago. No more 'sandy grit' feeling in my eyes and my dry eye symptoms have decreased tremendously. I also use the Refresh preservative free drops several times a day. I used the Ocusoft daily for several weeks and now every other day.

Warm moist washcloth placed over eyes, rinse and wring out a few times, gentle massage of inner eyelid afterwards.
Any OTC eye lubricant drops work well for me.

I use Lumify which is expensive, but works well for dry eye and takes out all the redness.
It is OTC.

I was using this heat mask twice a day to help my dry eyes. It’s $9.

Thermalon Dry Eye Compress (24342) https://a.co/d/eDL73iZ

I also found relief by running the humidifier if the humidity got below 40% in the house. Mostly this is only a winter problem where I live.

Recently I started using the nighttime eye ointment, basically a little tube of Vaseline, and it has allowed me to discontinue use of drops and the heat mask.

My eye doc suggested keeping the Refresh drops in the fridge. For me it is refreshing putting in cold drops. BTW my eyes aren't nearly as dry as they were after cataract surgery.

I have dry eye, and I always have preservative free eye drops in my pocket. I use them as needed, 0 to 4 times a day, I use them most frequently when driving long distances, every pit stop.

When it’s really bad, I’ll use a little Lacri-Lube in both eyes when I sleep, and wake up with them refreshed.

I just use contact lens solution as eye drops. Can't beat the price and I always have some around.

After cataract surgery, I developed dry eyes. Never had the issue before. Felt like I was sleeping with a twig in my eye. Refresh Celluvisc Gel (best price on Prime), Systane lubricant eye ointment for severe dry eye at night. It's like Vaseline. Put it in right before you go to sleep because you won't be able to see anything. Systane Complete for daily use. The gels and drops from Systane and Refresh are all available on Amazon Prime.

I use Systane restoring balance. It repairs the dry eye over time.

A few yrs ago, an optometrist told me she had great outcomes with taking fish oil capsules 2 x a day. I tried it and it has been a lifesaver. I’ve suggested it to several people, who have also felt much better after a month or two.

I use a USB heat mask for 10 minutes in the morning (convenient because I have it plugged into my alarm clock) and a microwave mask for 10 minutes in the evening (convenient because I sit in the living room). I think they're both equally effective. Also use Systane Ultra PF eye drops a couple times a day. Don't overheat the masks. I use medium setting on the USB, and 25 seconds heat time on the microwave. I used to go warmer, but that seemed to be counter-productive.

For a nearly free eye mask, fill a sock with uncooked rice, tie the cuff. Microwave for 20 sec. The rice really holds the heat, longer than a wet washcloth.

My sister told me I had 'dry eye' because my left eye waters sometimes. The tearing is supposed to be a reaction the the dryness of the eye. No ? Do I have something else? She has the same thing, and her opthalmologist said she had 'dry eye', and recommended eye drops, even though her eye was already nice and wet (on the outside, anyway).

My doctor prescribed Xiidra. If insurance will pay for it, it's great!. Just got on Medicare and my Part D insurer decided I should pay over $300 per month. Ha! My eyes aren't THAT dry. I will shop Part D and see if I can get that down to a reasonable number.

I also use one of those microwave eye masks a few times a week. It helps.

Back
Top Bottom