Early Retirees Perhaps Living A Bit Too Much Below Our Means?

Yeah, but I' working hard to correct that. Sorta fun.

Some additional follow up -

As indicated in Reply #29, my husband and I agreed to bump our Jan 1 portfolio WR from 2.5% to 3% effective immediately. I found I had a very hard time sleeping the first few nights afterward, instead waking up repeatedly in a panic about the thought of spending more than we do currently. But, by about day three, I started to relax and actually embrace the idea of loosening up some of the reins we've been holding so tightly.

Now, about a week into this, we've moved ahead and booked a 60-day world segment cruise for 2016. We also researched some Caribbean all-inclusives, and have told our family to reserve time this summer for an all expenses paid trip courtesy of Mom and Dad. We've also decided to sign up for a charity walk later this year, and will simply donate the required funds to the charity, rather than attempting any sort of fundraising.

I think this may possibly be the only site currently in existence where a topic such as this could be understood and rationally discussed. :)

I was expecting the "I found I had a very hard time sleeping the first few nights afterward, instead waking up repeatedly in a panic about the thought of spending more than we do currently" comment to end with "I just can't do it," but happily it appears it isn't so. Congratulations on finding a way to loosen up the purse strings and enjoy life a bit more.

Can one be proud of anonymous people on the internet? I sure feel a little bit proud :)

Congratz, also for finding great uses for the additional breathing room!

As indicated in Reply #29, my husband and I agreed to bump our Jan 1 portfolio WR from 2.5% to 3% effective immediately.
Good move. I still think you still have room to safely increase spending. As you age you will likely not have the desire or physical ability to enjoy your assets like you can now.

Try running FireCalc using the Bernicke option. The results will shock you. I truly believe in this as I've watched my parents and in laws go through the transition.

DW and I have "safe" living expenses covered by small pensions and social security. There is a CD ladder covering our eventual SS and medical expenses until Medicare kicks in. I'm then taking 5% of the remaining portfolio for spending above the "safe" living expenses - trips, toys, gifts... I really think I could go up to 6% without risk but I'll see how things go this year. This will be my first year using this budget.

My retirement starts 27 February (5 "in-office" days left :dance:) .

2B I hope you start your own thread when you are finally retired.
Am I getting obnoxious hijacking everyone else's threads?

I plan to do a narcissist happy dance of a post when I'm finally out the door. :dance: :LOL:

Not deliberately, but clearly a byproduct of our current approach. In that it would go to our children and grandchildren, all of whom we love, genuinely enjoy and see frequently, we are very much ok with that.

As others have said, you've got enough to probably go to 3% or 3.5% and still be in great shape. Given what you posted here, why don't you stay at 2.5% for yourself and use another 0.5% to start passing on money now to those wonderful children and grandchildren. Cash gifts or lots of memories and fun together doing things they likely cannot afford to do at this time!

Last edited:

As indicated in Reply #29, my husband and I agreed to bump our Jan 1 portfolio WR from 2.5% to 3% effective immediately. I found I had a very hard time sleeping the first few nights afterward, instead waking up repeatedly in a panic about the thought of spending more than we do currently. But, by about day three, I started to relax and actually embrace the idea of loosening up some of the reins we've been holding so tightly.

Now, about a week into this, we've moved ahead and booked a 60-day world segment cruise for 2016. We also researched some Caribbean all-inclusives, and have told our family to reserve time this summer for an all expenses paid trip courtesy of Mom and Dad. We've also decided to sign up for a charity walk later this year, and will simply donate the required funds to the charity, rather than attempting any sort of fundraising.

I think this may possibly be the only site currently in existence where a topic such as this could be understood and rationally discussed. :)

There you go! :dance:

Ignore my previous suggestion. Next time I'll read the whole thread before responding. :facepalm:

I hope you'll come back to post about what a wonderful time you're having on the cruise!

Well done, ElizabethT!

Back
Top Bottom